ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Non Renaultsport owners you don't know what you're missing

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
pmsl, i know what you mean though, my brother has my old 1.2 clio whilst I have my 172, i've driven it a few times since having the 172. Hmmmm, yes, well.

al

ST on the way...
trailerparktrev said:
I've got a 1.2 Clio Courtesy car. All I can say wallowing suspension, too light steering, etc....... Cack

Not all non renaultsport clios have cack suspension and light steering.

I had a 1.2 courtesey car when I took my 1.6 in for warranty work and it was completely different to mine.

1.4 and 1.6 Have sports suspension and steering (same shite turning circle as a 172)

I've had quite a few 1.2 16v Clios as courtesy cars in the past, and TBH.......

.........I enjoyed driving them:approve:

1.2 16v Dynamique
trailerparktrev said:
I've got a 1.2 Clio Courtesy car. All I can say wallowing suspension, too light steering, etc....... Cack

I know what your saying mate but until my 6 points come off in about 2 years time I refuse to pay silly money to insurance companies jsut to insure a car......:S

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
trailerparktrev said:

1) Can.

2) Worms.

cock mobile.
Not everyone can afford the RS models mate.

I think the normal Clios are great little cars; everyone has a different budget, etc.

al

ST on the way...
I think half of the problem is the insurance cost too, would be £1500+ for me to insure a 172 compared to £570 for my 1.6!

It's a dynamique, so don't they have the same suspension set up as the 1.4 and 1.6 dynamiques??? Also I'm not slagging anyone off who has a non Renaultsport car - it's just the difference, so much to the fact that it feels like I am driving a different car although it is a clio.

Clio 172 mk2
My girlfriend has just brought a P reg 1.2 Clio and it is bloody basic...no power steering, aircon, rev counter or temp gauge....still fun to drive though and goes remarkably well for such a small engine.

R35 GTR
If i went back to a 1.2 now, I would never stay under 3000 revs like i used to, I would probably kill the car.

Octavia VRS
trailerparktrev said:

you da man son! :)

Being serious, obviously the RS models are better but the standard ones aren't bad little cars for what they are

172cup/BMW 320 coupe
ive got a 1.2 16v clio as a hire car when i go to spain in june. lookin forward to driving it! mate has on and yes it does handle like a 172 its still a cracking little car to drive, really fun.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
I agree to an extent on this. I had a 1.2 Modus as a courtesy sar and after 2 days of driving that my 182 felt so good!

cock mobile.
Dave3141 said:
If i went back to a 1.2 now, I would never stay under 3000 revs like i used to, I would probably kill the car.

You mean you do now!?!? :clown:

Lots of Alfas
What do you expect though the 182 is the top of the range model where the 1.2 courtesy cars are the very basic model. The basic 1.2 is a cheap to buy/run practical and safe car, not all non renaultsport clios are cack.

davebem said:
What do you expect though the 182 is the top of the range model where the 1.2 courtesy cars are the very basic model. The basic 1.2 is a cheap to buy/run practical and safe car, not all non renaultsport clios are cack.

I got a 182 CUP, so that's pretty basic. I'm talking about the actual drive.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Dave3141 said:

how did you manage to keep it below 3000 then? my 1.2 wont move below 3000 lol

05 1.2 Dynamique
The thing in my case at least was insurance, my first year the best price i coukld get was 1500 fully comp. and tbh honest i think this is the fastest 1.2 i've driven (standard 1.2 anyway) it has a much nicer drive that it's competitors and thats why i got it. not because it's an amazing car but because it's better than the rest.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Yep, driving my mums 1.2 dynamique is such a totally different driving experience, if you were blindfolded you'd never believe they were the same cars (dont try that at home kids!).

I still had fun driving it for a week though, they are great fun little cars to drive whichever model you have. Even the 1.2 is suprisingly nippy if you rag the hell out of it.... poor thing didn't know what had hit it.

Obviously i was still very glad to get back to the 182, the whole driving experience is in a different league.

al

ST on the way...
trailerparktrev said:
It's a dynamique, so don't they have the same suspension set up as the 1.4 and 1.6 dynamiques??? Also I'm not slagging anyone off who has a non Renaultsport car - it's just the difference, so much to the fact that it feels like I am driving a different car although it is a clio.

No, the 1.2 16v Dynamique doesn't get sports suspension and steering.

BMW M135i
If you pay the insurance i'll buy a 172 tomorrow, £3500 on insurance seems like a rather large waste of 3.5 grand to me compared to £900. Gonna be either a 1.6 or a yaris t-sport for me next in may.

almarsden said:
No, the 1.2 16v Dynamique doesn't get sports suspension and steering.

Was avaliable as an option though was it not ? As i'm pretty sure my dynamique+ has it ?, though I know a 1.2 dynamique+ doesn't technically exist although thats whats stuck in the glovebox though it might be because its only missing sat nav and cruise control :S.

1.5dci
Aust1n said:
Probably true.. but still a prick thing to say to some that are less fortunate and have to make do..

I had a 182, but had to sell it for financial reasons. Had a modus for 3 months, that was pants!

Got a clio dci now, yes the 182 was a darn sight quicker, but you can have almost as much fun in any clio, and far cheaper to run.

:D

Clio 172 Cup
I used a 1.2 hire car to go from Heathrow to Gatwick the other week and was amazed it only used £1.50 in petrol!
My 172 would have done it in the same journey time but probably used about £8.00!! lol

I know what I'm missing and I'm not to bothered.
Lets see how much our cars cost to run the savings along pay for my track days.

R35 GTR
The Fatty said:
how did you manage to keep it below 3000 then? my 1.2 wont move below 3000 lol

I read the manual when i got it and it said not to go above 3500 iirc in everyday driving, 1st to 4th gear. I didnt go properly above 3k for about a month in the 172 when i first got it, as I thought i would hurt it.

Engles Mummy
The cars are basically the same, the only main difference is one has a 2.0 engine and the other doesn't.

1998 BMW e46 323i
okay, let me really throw the cat amongst the pigeons:

Why are non renault clio sport owners actually on this site (CLIO SPORT.NET, not CLIO PONY SPEC.NET) in the first place?

Said as I duck down and crawl to cover....

Ha ha, I love being popular :rasp:

Only kidding chums.

Elise/VX220/R26
it is a bit strange going from a 172 to a 1.2 even my GF complained about it when we had the 172 in on the various visits to the dealer. the 1.2 feels like a 172 with rubber bands attached to all the steering and peddle controls!

That said I drove a load of s**t cars before I had my 172 and it wasnt something I thought about before that. As people have said age and insurance are big factors in owning cars, if people drive safe and build up their no claims their time to own a high iunsurance group car will come. I dont think theres any need to rub peoples noses in it! Theres nowt clever about been 18 and paying 3 grand for insurance just to own an RS, better off biding your time and paying a sensible amout for the car. IMO you need some years of drving experience before you drive a 2.0l hatchback anyway.

Of course it's going to feel different, it's a different car but that doesn't make it bad. I drive my girlfriends dads Astra estate every now and then and that feels like a barge but it hasn't got " sports " suspension or 172 brake up front. I kind of get where you're coming from though, people always moan to me " why don't you get a normal car like everyone else " but having an XR2 straight after my test, onto an XR2I (shite I know), clio 16V now the 172, there's no way I could get used to anything else, and I'm not being a ponce or knocking anyone.