ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

no heat

N Reg modded Clio RT
right.... i have just got my car back from a garage with a quiry head gasket but that was fine what he found out was that one of my pipes wasnt getting hot and he also replaced the thermostat and flushed the system and still nothing. He has told me to bring it home and drive it for a couple days and see what happens before he flushes it again. please help:dapprove:

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
There must be some part of the engine, radiator, pipes, heater or hoses that are getting hot. Its impossible for an engine to run without generating heat.

When you start from cold the thermostat is shut so as to restrict the circulation around the block and heater.
This does two things, lets the engine warm up to its operating temperature quickly and get the heater going to keep you comfortable.

If the thermostat is stuck open this wont happen quickly, as the radiator is cooling it quicker than it can get warm.
You wont notice this in the summer. but as they changed the thermostat thats not your problem.

If the circulation is not taking place because the pump isn't working, the heat will build up in the block and only get to the other parts of the system by direct heat transfer. it could take a long time to reach the heater depending on the design and layout of the cooling system

You need to run the car for say 10 mins, and put your finger on all the points that comprise the system to see which are hot and which are not. in that way you should be able to work out if the pump is working or not.

I must say, I am surprised the garage didn't know how to do this simple check.

N Reg modded Clio RT
there are two pipes one goin in and comin of the matrix i think and one of the pipes is gettin hot and the other wasnt, this is why he thought there was a blockage and flushed it through but it didnt work. doe sthat help you with diagnosis

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Well the only answer is the first one, blocked heater matrix, or the shut off (temp control) valve is stuck.

N Reg modded Clio RT
ive checked the cable and thats fine so obv it has to be a blockage in the matrix bu idont want to have to go through havin it all taken out and cleaned etc ...

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Have you physically checked the valve though ? the cable might be slipping at the other end or the operating lever broken inside the valve,

Back flush it in the car, with a garden hose.