ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No air filter in PH1 Air box!

Renaultsport Clio 172 ph1
Hi

I've had a ph1 172 for approxmately 4 months. When taking off the throttle body today to clean inside it (thought it might solve my idling problems) I was shocked to see there was no filter inside the cylindrical airbox (took it off to remove TB).

I am really worried about the fact the car has been running without an air filter all this time (at least 4 months while I've had it) and can only think about the amount of dirt that has got through into the insides of the engine!

Can anybody explain the consequences of running with no filter and what symptoms the car would be exhibiting if it has been affected by this please? If you can put my mind at rest by saying it isn't the worse thing in the world then even better! :)

I don't know anyone with a 172 to compare, sound wise. The car has always been quite noisy cold or warm (sounds like a diesel) from reading the forums, I understand this could be the dephaser pulley or tappets amongst other things.

Last edited:
The car sounds relatively quiet inside, as I said I don't really know what a 172 is supposed to sound like ( perhaps I should have test drove a few before I bought this one :eek:)

Black 197
Well an air filter is used for obvious reasons, Im sure if you look at an air filter say being used for 4 months there will be dust etc on the filter but it wont be caked in it unless you live/drive somewhere dusty... Its pretty hard to gauge if it has done any damage as without looking inside the block you'll never know unless your down on power etc

Just get a filter on there asap and if your worried have a look tbh

Lots of Alfas
It may have done some long term damage. The fact the car is still running is a good sign. I wouldnt be very happy at the previous owner. The filters do accumalate some bits and bobs after a few months.

If you frequently drive on dusty roads/rally it/drive on the beach Id be worried.

I am p**sed off at the previous owner who claimed to be a Renault technician of all things.

The problem with deciding if it is down on power or if it sounds dodgy is that I have nothing to compare it to. The car feels fast enough but whether it is as fast as its supposed to be, I don't know. I understand 172 engines are quite noisy anyway so I really wouldn't know if something is out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
I didn't know about the rep of Renault till I read a few posts on here.:).

Holy cr*p! if they aren't already!

I am picking up a filter tomorrow, Renault Shirley haven't got any genuine ones in so I am picking up one made by 'Fram' from a parts place I know, should this be OK? I guess if there has been damage, it'll will be like closing the gate after the horse has already bolted :dapprove:

injectors are going to be clogged up soon i guess...

What, how did you think that one up lol!

Get a filter in ASAP and get a compression test done, I dont think youl have any problems to be honest

Fram filters are fine matey :)

Clio 172 cup
I really wouldnt bother yourself worrying, think about it.........the last 4 months have been snow, ice, rain etc.
Also you won`t have sucked up and flys, bees, wasps, dragonflys, humming birds etc as these are only flying around may-october

Just get a filter on asap, theres dust appearing now it hasnt rained for a while.

finally go and see the previous owner and give him a :slap:

PH1 172 Sport
Should be ok as the stock air feeds arn't really open to the elements. I would run it on V-Power for a few tanks to give the injectors a clean etc.

^Yes thanks both. I've been running it on v power for the last few months so hopefully thats helped.