ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon D200 advice

Megane RS 275 Trophy
I need a bit of advice about maybe changing my camera I have a Nikon D80 just over 5000 click and love it, but I can get a D200 with 1200 clicks for £420.00 (may be able to get it for £400.00 if I'm lucky)

If I bought this and sold my D80 would I notice any difference and if so what would be my gains against my losses?
My first loss would be between £80 - £100 as the D80 is going for about £300-£320 on ebay at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any help
Billy

Suzuki Ignis
Depends what your going to be using it for. The D200 has a higher frames per second rate so for sports it might be better. Also I think the D200 will probably have a higher torque motor so faster focusing but probably so minimal you'd hardly notice. Ive not used a D80 so cant really comment on that but do have a D200. I dont like the high ISO perfomance tbh, but the CLS is good depending on conditions. I think the D80 has CLS anyway.
What glass do you have atm?
If I were you, id invest in glass first then get a second hand D300 when everyones trying to get rid of them to get a D700.

Megane RS 275 Trophy
As for usage just general use, a little sport some landscapes anything that's there at the time.
As for glass I have the standard 18-135, a Sigma 10-20 and a Nikon 70-300 VR

If I were you, id invest in glass first then get a second hand D300 when everyones trying to get rid of them to get a D700.

They are completely different, one is FX and one is DX, crossover is virtually null, really.

The D200 is bomb-proof compared to the D80, that's probably the biggest thing you will notice. It's weather sealed, magnesium alloy etc so quite a step up in terms of quality from the D80. That's the main thing you will get out of it, it's very unlikely you will see any real world gains stepping up from the D80-200 as they are both from the same generation, you would probably only start noticing a difference if you moved to the new Nikon systems (D90/300).

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I nearly bought one a few months ago, but decided that the improvement in picture quality, even over a D50, would not be worth it. D200 jpg performance will probably be disappointing, so be prepared to shoot everything in RAW with a lot more PP to get the most out of it - something i wasn't prepared to do.

Megane RS 275 Trophy
That's what I was worried about not noticing to much difference, at the moment though the D90/D300 are still out of my price range so as I have not got any gripes with my D80 it looks like I be better of sticking with it.

Suzuki Ignis
They are completely different, one is FX and one is DX, crossover is virtually null, really.

I didnt compare them :S I said just he could wait until everyones selling there D300's because there's a noticeable difference between the D80 and D300.

Anyway yeah, sounds like you'd be better off sticking with your D80 for now.

I didnt compare them :S I said just he could wait until everyones selling there D300's because there's a noticeable difference between the D80 and D300.

You said everyone would be trading in their D300s for D700s...I just find that unlikely as they are completely different formats and would possibly even involve changing lens ;)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
am i the only person who doesnt see the point in the d700 when the d3 isnt much more? both exactly the same sensors and focussing systems etc... but the d3 is alot faster... more fps and more robust??

hopefully purchasing a d3 for xmas :D keeping my d2x as a backup though :)

am i the only person who doesnt see the point in the d700 when the d3 isnt much more? both exactly the same sensors and focussing systems etc... but the d3 is alot faster... more fps and more robust??

It's a whole D300 more in cost :) I realise a grand isn't much at that end of the market, but it's still quite a bit. And, erm, the D700 is a bit smaller, which might be of use to some people.

Suzuki Ignis
You said everyone would be trading in their D300s for D700s...I just find that unlikely as they are completely different formats and would possibly even involve changing lens ;)

I know but I think there will be lots of people with to much money, wanting the latest and greatest selling up there D300's. We shall see. Im hoping they do anyway coz I wouldnt mind a cheap D300.