ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nick172Cup's Renault Clio DCI 65 project thread (ish).

Evening all, as a few of you knew today I took the trip up to the Colshe Motor Company to pick up this fine peach/gem of a motor to use as a daily to save putting too many miles on the trackcar.

Money exchanged and off I went, 130 miles to get home and thinking.... ‘Will I even get home?’ True enough I did, definitely picked up on a few things that will need addressing but first and foremost will be the interior as its minging. I think even with seat covers, gloves and breathing apparatus (okay maybe not the last one) I may of caught aids or something it’s that bad.

Sitting between 70-80mph most of the way home, amazingly the car returned 63.3mpg! Amazingly epic amounts of fuel economy, used just over an eigth of a tank of diesel!

Anyways some crap pictures that look just the same as Dan’s ones he put in his for sale thread...

IMG_0697_zpscb090a4d.jpg

IMG_0698_zpsfe1e9b48.jpg

IMG_0701_zps70639129.jpg

IMG_0702_zpsb0af696d.jpg

IMG_0704_zpsa5341b55.jpg

So plans...

Pretty much a whole new interior, like WHOLE interior. Probably a 172 Cup setup as theyre the comfiest/cheapest.
Address whether or not to get the cambelt etc done. If it hasnt been done its almost 18 months overdue.
Sort out the knocking noise for the N/S/F.
Sort out the engine mounts, to see if they are actually holding the engine in place (as it doesnt feel like it!)

The exteriors staying as it is, the boot floors so f**ked that getting the bootlid straight will be waste of time and money. As a long as it stays watertight (taken with a pinch of salt already) and runs then it'll be perfect for running around in peace and quiet/comfort as well as getting my brother and I's mountain bikes transported when we go riding, i'm happy!

Nick

So how much did they pay you to take it lol, looks like a plasterer or a painter and decorators had that.

Regards Russ.................

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Glad you got home ok mate and was good to see you again. Sorry I couldn't chat longer, we were quite busy today, you must have brought us some south east luck!

But yeah, glad you got home ok, I was a bit aprehensive as I always am when I sell a banger to someone I know.

Thankfully you're home in one piece so that's the warranty finished..... ;)

Couldve had my Focus for not much more! Won't get 60mpg but it'll do 50 with twice the power and the boot shuts!

Surely you failsport guys could get the cambelt done cheaply? Can't be anywhere near as expensive as a sport.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Couldve had my Focus for not much more! Won't get 60mpg but it'll do 50 with twice the power and the boot shuts!

Surely you failsport guys could get the cambelt done cheaply? Can't be anywhere near as expensive as a sport.

Your focus was nearly double the price, and your focus isn't £30 a year to tax. ;)

Clio diesels sell frighteningly fast. Every one i've had (once priced correctly after i'd been cheeky for a couple of weeks) sold within a week.

After nick had first shout on this one, I had 4 more people wanting to buy it. They're the small diesel of choice it seems.

Petrol Blue 182.
Lovely little site you've got Daniel btw!

Should come up alright with a clean inside nick. Or fitting a whole new interior may be a better idea. Jelous about the fuel consumption too on the way home, I lost all mine trying to catch up with you!

3 weeks before its modified Nick
smiley2.gif

Ollie going to come good with the bet? I doubt it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Lovely little site you've got Daniel btw!

Should come up alright with a clean inside nick. Or fitting a whole new interior may be a better idea. Jelous about the fuel consumption too on the way home, I lost all mine trying to catch up with you!

Ollie going to come good with the bet? I doubt it.

Why didn't you say that was you!! I thought it was just some randomer lol.

I'll have this when you're done.

Thanks.

Of course sweetheart.

Glad you got home ok mate and was good to see you again. Sorry I couldn't chat longer, we were quite busy today, you must have brought us some south east luck!

But yeah, glad you got home ok, I was a bit aprehensive as I always am when I sell a banger to someone I know.

Thankfully you're home in one piece so that's the warranty finished..... ;)

Lol, no worries about earlier Dan also. Hope you struck up a good deal with your new Nigerian friends! ;)

Aww didn't know you were coming down today. I asked my mate and he said he had lots of plastics. etc.

Ah thats a bummer! I'd still be interested in them as most of the plastics could be cleaned but it would far easier to just replace them, if he's interested in putting them in a massive box I could always arrange a courier or something.

No point doing the cambelt tbh, just run it till it blows up and break it. Utter shed lol.

3 weeks before its modified Nick ;)

Lol, wont happen in three weeks Dave! ;) Got normal stuff to sort out first!

So a little update....

Down to 61mpg, still epic but there has been another little list of problems that I have come across....

The whole of the floor, front and back is drenched.
Squeeling noise coming from a pulley or something in the engine bay.
Got a warning light on the dash, think its to do with the glowplugs as the car really struggles to turn over now.
Think there's a bad earth or something (possibly related to the above), yesterday when I turned the lights on, quite a few other dashboard lights came on. lol
Passenger window doesnt work.

So today I was finishing off working on some weight saving on the trackcar, so the DCI has currently been turned into a skip. Though tbf the rubbish i've been throwing in it is probably cleaner than the car itself! But some good news to this all, after eventually getting the car to start (glow plug warning light on still) the passenger window works now, the other random lights arent on and the squeeling seems to of gone away!

The other day I really started to depise this car, but i'm thinking if I actually stick with and do the work myself hopefully I can turn this around and be 'respectable'!

In the next couple of days i'm going to start pulling interior trim seats out of it, and whilst im there hopefully sort the water problem. If its like the trackcar thats been doing a similar thing then it shouldn't take too long to sort.

Nick

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ffs. I'm so sorry Nick.

If I was you, whilst the interiors out, i'd remove the headlining and the sunroof and seal the whole lot up. Just to make sure.

Any idea where it's coming in??

Your focus was nearly double the price, and your focus isn't £30 a year to tax. ;) .

Late reply I admit but it's only 300 quid more and 120 a year to tax. I bought it thinking I'd sell it easy, need to get it up on AT anyway.

Nick, I think Daniels advice is spot on, all French cars with sunroofs seem to leak so best off just to seal it up.

Ffs. I'm so sorry Nick.

If I was you, whilst the interiors out, i'd remove the headlining and the sunroof and seal the whole lot up. Just to make sure.

Any idea where it's coming in??

Dan, its cool buddy. I knew what I was up against with buying a car at this price, condition. I was never expecting it to be plain sailing. Honestly think the rooflining/sunroofs alright! There's a drainage pipe that goes from the lowest part of the scuttle panel into the engine bay behind some sound deadening, literally today just sorted it out on the Cup as I was getting the same symptons so i've got an incling it may well be that. So will try that first, have all the carpet out for a week or so after i've done it, and if it doesnt get wet again then its sorted! If not i'll look at other avenues such as the rooflining/arch liners that clog up with mud and cause the water to come into the car.

As long as one of my three cars works and I can get around, i'm happy! LOL

Latest update...

Was just about to take it over to Mike at MWM to plug it in to see what the problems are. Well that didnt happen. Strong electric burning smell followed by smoke in the engine bay, looks like the starter motor stuck on. Now will not start at all.

FFS.

330i. E30 Touring.
<3 it.

All the greatest cars test our patience to start with.

Call it initiation.

(I had the clutch go on mine 3 weeks in)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Good to see you earlier mate, cheers for the advice and I'll keep you posted on the trackdays I'm eyeing up. Hope the boot carpet and parcel shelf help :)

i'll bring whatever interior spares I have to Mikes tomorrow and you can grab them off him when you see him next.

106 for the DCi and £150 and you've for a deal.

Sounds good to me. Come on Nick.

£100. And you drive the 106 here.

Good to see you earlier mate, cheers for the advice and I'll keep you posted on the trackdays I'm eyeing up. Hope the boot carpet and parcel shelf help :)

i'll bring whatever interior spares I have to Mikes tomorrow and you can grab them off him when you see him next.

No worries matey! Thank you for the parts, indeed if you find anything interior related bung it in the car and give it to Mike.

Same goes for anyone on this forum, any interior/plastics you dont want, contact me. I'll pay for postage but I wont be paying for the parts like some people have been offering me! lol

Nick

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
To be fair, even brand new parts are so cheap. Looks like I could spend £500 and have a mint car, well kind of.

until you start going do the fuel system route- OUCH.

get the cam belt done!, iv had to rebuild a head on a kangoo dci as the belt gave way, made a complete mess to the extent of smashing the injector tips up . easy to do yourself tbh!