ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nick172Cup's 3rd! 'TrackCup' Progress Blog.

Eventually got some pictures of it after its second clean in my ownership. lol

IMG_10711_zpsd0f3f199.jpg

IMG_10741_zpsbac51626.jpg

IMG_10731_zps6956dbbb.jpg

IMG_10721_zpsbe1731b0.jpg

Work done -

Cobra Imolas sold and my 197/200 Sabelt Cup Racer seat fitted.

PMS gear selector fitted, lovely height and position, still not impressed with fit underneath the car.

Fitted my OMP adjustable boss kit though couldn't fit the Sabelt Cup Racer wheel on it as the bolts have rounded on this wheel, so another job to do!

Made an extended throttle pedal to bring it 15mm closer to the brake pedal, heel-toeing has now become too easy!

Cup spoiler removed in favour of plastic ultra povvo spec spoiler.

25mm front and 15mm rear spacers fitted along with an extra 1.5 degree of negative camber for the rear. Went to get the tracking checked as the rear had toe in on both sides and wanted to see how even the camber was, printout came out at the rears having 3 degrees of neg camber and miraculously paralleled the toe. Well actually its 2 minutes out on the drivers side and 3 minutes out the other which is perfect! Car feels a lot livelier so should be great fun when I eventually get a trackday booked!

Front and rear diamonds replaced from black to standard silver finish.

Doorcards sold.

That's about it so far, could have done so much more but I've been lazy/on holiday. I have set myself a lovely list of bits to do over the coming month though which should keep me busy enough...

Fit solid engine mounts.
Fit Odyssey lightweight dry cell battery with cut off switch.
Fit ITG air filter with 45 degree bend (once I've mounted ECU in different location).
Fit matched inlets (off Budgie).
Collect second set of anthracite 2118's (off Budgie).
Drill out bolts of current steering wheel and fit Sabelt wheel.
Fit lightened dash.
Lighten bumpers and 'tinker'.
Replaced speedo sensor as mines had it!

There you are. Might be a bit more punctual with progress next time! ;)

Nick

Another little update -

Changed over the speedo sensor so I now have a full working speedo again, kind of helps, especially with 6 points on my license! Lol

Also fitted my Sabelt Cup Racer steering wheel, played with the adjustable boss kit so it sits closer to me. Moved roughly an inch closer than previous and it is a little too close, but rather than moving that back I'm going to move the seat back instead so I can have straighter legs.

Also lowered the steering column by 10mm so even with the steering wheel closer, it feels just as high as before.

ezaze9y4.jpg

Many more bits to do but I've lacked the interest to get my hands dirty in short of late, though this hopefully is the start of it progressing a bit quicker now!

Cheers
Nick

So after a little chat with Mr Hunter, i'll be converting the Cup into the proposed 'production/standard' spec for the French Track Attack series. Here's an outline of the spec that'll be eligible to race....

Safety Gear -

Roll Cage (Sorted)
Fire Extinguisher (Got but not fitted)
Cut Off Switches (Got but not fitted)
Bucket Seat (Sorted)
In Date Harness (Sorted)

Engine -

Aftermarket Cat-Back Exhaust with Cat fitted (Sorted)
Aftermarket Air Filter (Got but not fitted)
Standard Engine/Camshafts/Timing. (Sorted, I hope!)

Suspension -

Standard 'Cup' Shocks (Needed)
Aftermarket lowering springs (Needed)
Aftermarket topmounts (Needed)
Spacers (Sorted)
Camber Bolts (Sorted)
Shims (Sorted)

Brakes -

Standard Calipers (Sorted)
Aftermarket Disks and Pads (Sorted)
Braided Brake Lines (Sorted)

Wheels and tyres -
15" Wheels (Sorted)
195 profile tyres (Needed)

Other Bits -

Removal of interior bar dash (Sorted)
AMB Transponder (Needed)
2L Oil Catch Tank (Needed)

Still subject to confirmation/change obviously but that's primarily the way the cars will need to be built to run in the series.

Now bits for ME to be ready to race...

'Go Racing Pack' (Sorted)
ARDs Test (Not yet)
Racesuit (Needed)
Helmet (Sorted)
Shoes (Sorted)
Gloves (Sorted)
Get in better shape! (Work in progress) lol

Cheers
Nick

182cup & 172 racecar
Why make people but an ECU, when the car comes with one anyway, I'm trying to make this affordable.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Why make people but an ECU, when the car comes with one anyway, I'm trying to make this affordable.
free, as in not regulated. Choose what you want, keep stock or change to aftermarket. Not making anyone do anything. I'm quite tempted by this so I'm not just playing devils advocate

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
free, as in not regulated. Choose what you want, keep stock or change to aftermarket. Not making anyone do anything. I'm quite tempted by this so I'm not just playing devils advocate

Given that the aim of the series is to have engines as equal as possible, what value does it add to allow an expensive aftermarket ecu?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Will be interesting to see the Tuners/Traders all taking part in this to see what they can do setup wise... obviously the driver will determine 95% of the outcome but still interesting none the less IMO of course.

Well given that the rules only allow such minor changes in an attempt to remove gaining competitive advantage through tuning or large setup changes, it would be a poor place for a tuner to showcase anything other than if they are good at breaking those rules really, lol

Countryman JCW
Well given that the rules only allow such minor changes in an attempt to remove gaining competitive advantage through tuning or large setup changes, it would be a poor place for a tuner to showcase anything other than if they are good at breaking those rules really, lol

Yeah i realised that then edited my post lol!

WRX
Are you entering anything this year Nick? I'll probably leave mine until as early as possible next year. Keeps everything in the same race season.

Are you entering anything this year Nick? I'll probably leave mine until as early as possible next year. Keeps everything in the same race season.

Unsure as yet Adam, there's a side of me that wants to get sorted for the Donnington triple header as I've done that circuit before but it all comes down to cost really. May not be possible but if I can stretch it I think it'll be worth it to gauge how things will be for the new year.

Nice one Nick, funnily I have my ARDS booked for next week and completed my medical today, Im hoping to at least get 1 or 2 races in before the end of the year to also gauge how 2014 will look (coming from a novice), so sacrificing £58 seems worth it....

A little update, standard cup shocks and cooksport springs arrived so cracked on with getting them fitted. Rears no issue however the fronts I was missing a few parts for the standard shocks due the previous Spax coilovers not requiring them. So picking them up off the fine Mr Hunter at Cadwell this weekend and hopefully have the suspension all sorted by the following weekend!

5ynahe2e.jpg

jypa5aza.jpg

ne8etypy.jpg

ery5a2uv.jpg

And in other fantastic news, I managed to sort myself out with an AMB transponder for the car. Not necessarily needed just yet, though at a smidge under £240 delivered which is a bargain as last year I was hunting for one on eBay and missed out various times with prices soaring in excess of £280! Cheers Sam for the heads up! ;)

So pretty much just the fire extinguisher and cut off switches to fit, get my medical and ARDS sorted, some sticky tyres and the car back on the road. Then maybe, just maybe, I might be able to do the winter series race at Donnington on October 20th.

Fingers crossed I can sell some car parts, myself and get some overtime in!

Cheers
Nick

Donnington, 20th Oct you say.....knows it ;)

I'll try and bimble along! Hope your Mum is ok bud :)

It'll be touch and go Oli mate, if funds don't allow then it'll be next year when I partake in my first competitive race! ;)

Mum's all good thanks, she's currently sunning herself in the south of France! Not a bad way to recover if I do say myself!

What was the result in the end with the exhaust nick? did you get it replaced/fixed?

Nothing happened in short. lol Its currently sat in the shed until the day where I'll have enough spare pennies to get a new backbox fitted to it and I'll then be using it instead of the homebrew one that's currently on there mate.

Nick