ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Niall's BG 182

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Hang about.....

You joined the forum when you was 13, in 2010? Why so early on? You must be one of tge youngest joined members on here. Most people join when they just bought one or are planning to. Based on That, I thought you was a fair bit older than 20yrs old tbh.

Last edited:

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Hang about.....

You joined the forum when you was 13, in 2010? Why so early on? You must be one of tge youngest joined members on here. Most people join when they just bought one or are planning to. Based on That, I thought you was a fair bit older than 20yrs old tbh.

He's not 20 yet 😂

He joined when his brother @Brett bought a ph1.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Hang about.....

Haha yeah only 19 now! Yep I was 13, my brother bought his Ph1 when he was 19 back then so went to meets and stuff with him. Then went to meets and took a lot of car photos when I was 15/16, most of the banners on here are still mine from back then.

Hadn't been on here for years really until I bought my 182.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Another small update, again with the help of @JamesBryan.

It was time for the first service in my ownership, and doing a couple of other upgrades/mods.

• Elf Evolution 900 SXR 5W-40 Oil
  • Renault Oil Filter
  • ATE Type 200 Brake Fluid
  • Gold Plug AP-10 Magnetic Sump Plug
  • Powerflex Engine Mount Insert
  • Removed Driver's seat spacers (to lower it)

34086066952_6c50e86b62_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Hover Clio.
33858914240_edf7895b41_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

So, got the oil in, and fitted the lovely new Gold Plug magnetic sump plug, feels like such a quality little thing, machined from one piece of metal, my proper car geek side came out obsessing over a sump plug lol. Bloody strong magnet on it too, so hopefully any little shards/abrasive bits of metal dust in there should be collected nicely. Oil filter on also. Nice to refresh the car with some nice genuine bits and knowing all is as it should be.

Next up were the brakes. I wanted to upgrade the fluid ready for the trackday next month, so went for the popular ATE Type 200 stuff. The old stuff was quite brown in colour and a fair amount of bubbles came out, so looks like this was massively worthwhile doing, I never was particularly happy with the brakes on this (still needs more, pads etc will be being sorted soon). Also, I went about greasing the sliders all round to make sure that was good. As usual however, bleed nipples threw up some issues. The back O/S one has sheered off, so I'll be hunting for a new calliper. Just as well really since the piston is ceased also, which explains my handbrake not being the strongest in the world. The front two were blocked up with sh*t and corrosion, but thankfully they came straight out and I could go and grab two off the breaker 172 I have literally on the same drive, so that was a headache avoided!
34112519141_44c8737f80_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Final job was finally removing the spacers from underneath the driver's seat, if you saw the last update, this was halted by a sheered thread when trying to remove one of the nuts underneath, but thankfully @JB21 sorted me out with a new nut and advised that I could try to get it on the remaining thread. So with the spacers out, and the other nuts playing ball, thankfully I was able to get this nut on the remaining thread and there was no need for a new slider/rail.

These being removed have made a little difference to the driving position, does feel a bit more natural now, nothing radical, but a slight improvement over the standard park bench position.
33401680914_c4bee95590_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Now, I wanted to leave this bit until last even though it was the first thing we fitted - the Powerflex engine mount insert. I've not been satisfied with the amount of engine movement/clunks/bangs when being driven hard, having Powerflex'd the dog bone, and replaced the gearbox mount under the battery it was very nearly all good, and it seems that this insert was the final piece of the puzzle. WHAT a difference, feels so smooth and tight now. You can bang it into gear, come off and on the throttle aggressively and it feels smooth as, which was exactly what was lacking before.

I'd recommend this to anybody wanting to tighten the engine movement up. Really can't see the need for solid mounts after trying this in combination with the Powerflex'd dogbone and new gearbox mount, feels as tight as you would ever want, and even then I could have gone for the black series mounts for both of these if I ever needed more. Also, makes the engine bay look a little nicer with a flash of yellow colour in there.
33401677744_30021564b0_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

That's it for now, more little things to come in the lead up to the trackday, then hopefully some bigger bits if nothing else breaks LOL.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Get stainless nipples mate, cheap on ebay and saves you the world of problems.
Probably will do, James said this too at the time. Going to be getting some 4 pots for the front at some point anyway so hopefully they should last until that happens anyway.

Probably will do, James said this too at the time. Going to be getting some 4 pots for the front at some point anyway so hopefully they should last until that happens anyway.
Wouldn't bother with 4 pots mate, been there done that and they're total overkill for a part time track car. Spend the cash on something like Bilsteins or BC's instead.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Nice progress Niall
You about this weekend? I might pop round since I'm heading over to St Helens/Newton anyway, if that's okay?
Any excuse to drive since mine's been off the road for eight weeks.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Wouldn't bother with 4 pots mate, been there done that and they're total overkill for a part time track car. Spend the cash on something like Bilsteins or BC's instead.
Yeah, plan was to get both really haha! But I'd definitely be getting coilovers amongst other things before I got those anyway. Will have to have a think and ask people their opinions on them.
He's after scene points :tongueclosed:
:cool:
Nice progress Niall
You about this weekend? I might pop round since I'm heading over to St Helens/Newton anyway, if that's okay?
Any excuse to drive since mine's been off the road for eight weeks.
I am mate yeah! That's all good. Give me a text about when you're thinking of:up:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Linky? :smile:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181576126741
33777550960_54722630cf_c.jpg

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Small update time again.

• Replaced broken horn
  • Added front arch liners
  • Replaced N/S rear light
  • Replaced aerial with stubby one
  • Replaced O/S rear calliper
  • Adjusted handbrake
  • Replaced bleed nipples with HEL stainless steel ones
  • Added HEL O/S front braided brake line
  • Replaced front brake disks with Brembo HC ones (new versions with painted centre and outer rim)
  • Replaced front brake pads with Ferodo DS2500s

Basically some small bits I've been meaning to do for a while and some more prep for track etc. Also, there's only one way to fuel working on a french motor!
34674848825_207030d50e_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

First up was my broken horn. It was becoming more and more dangerous not having a horn, the amount of fuckwits on the roads these days, especially of the lorry driving kind on the motorway changing lanes whenever the mood takes them was just an accident waiting to happen if I had no way of warning people, so I really wanted this sorting. Having diagnosed the horn itself after checking it was getting power with the multimeter, I went to the local scrap yard and found a Mk2 Clio they had in there and whipped the horns off myself, the price...£2. Bargain! See below the state of the old horns, then the second hand items from the scrap Clio.

Old ones:
34513098042_f0a51e213d_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

New:
34513097852_d25890ef48_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

After these went in, I had some front arch liners I'd acquired from @bloke, and so these went in. Been meaning to do this for a while because one, my old horns were almost certainly knackered by water and dirt as you can see in the pics, and two, I wasn't comfortable with my belts being exposed on the other side, so this was a relief to get hold of some finally. Eventually I may cut holes for brake cooling piping if I get more serious about track, but as yet my fog lights are still in there too anyway.
33865076523_317196496d_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Another small job that I'd wanted to do for a while was replacing the N/S rear light lens. The old one looked darker than the O/S one, most noticeably the silver circle in the design of the light, looked more murky and not as bright and silver as the other one, on closer inspection it was full of dust making it dimmer and it would prove near impossible to get out properly. Also in attempting to clean the dust I'd managed to rub some of the silver coating from the inside off, so the red plastic showed through which looked horrific. So I came across some cheap great condition lights on eBay, and so just chucked the N/S of these in since my O/S was fine, so I suppose have a few spares now if ever needed. So it looks bang on now. The pic below doesn't show it as badly as it was in real life, but I figured I'd post anyway, the new one is attached to the car in this.
33865076943_35b55a7fe1_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Next up, I wasn't terribly keen on the aerial that was on the car anyway even though it was a shorter aftermarket one, but then it started to randomly peel the black paint/coating off, I'm suspecting maybe a cat may had a little nibble at it causing it to start peeling off as they do love to do this, so I went on eBay and picked a stubby one up. Really happy with this one, looks totally OEM the way it meets the base perfectly, the material is the same shade, couldn't believe it. Even more amazing is that the radio works perfectly too (even though I never listen to the radio lol). Little touches like this are immensely satisfying if you're a monumental geek like most of us on here.

Old:
34513097082_0412f0a734_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

New:
34289971720_347868ca4f_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Saturday arrives, and another day on the driveway with @JamesBryan swearing profusely at things Renault thought were a great idea 13 years ago.

First up was replacing the O/S rear calliper. Last time when changing the fluid the bleed nipple snapped inside the calliper as is quite common, so I removed the one from the breaker Ph1 and cleaned it up, and got this fitted on the car.
33865076653_6e4aae66ee_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

In the process, with the handbrake cable being slack, it came off at the other end and so began an hour detour of getting underneath, getting the heat shield off, getting this back on, adjusting the handbrake (I'd wanted to do this anyway in fairness), snapping a bolt holding the heat shield on, drilling a new hole and putting a new bolt in. As I say though, hand brake had needed adjusting for ages because it was really weak, feels spot on now so I guess it was a happy accident in some ways!
34544668521_c7137b6586_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

As you may have seen in the calliper pic above, I also replaced the brake nipples with some HEL stainless steel ones. After the ball ache and previous ball aches with broken bleed nipples, and many people I know having these fail all the time, these will prove to be a good investment. They do feel like quality little things, milled from one piece etc.

Along side these, I purchased some (basically brand new) used DS2500's for an absolute steal that had only covered 200 road miles before the P/O purchased some 4 pots, and some Brembo HC's (new version with coated centre and rim) from @George@RTR_Parts (great service as always from George).
34513096832_d907e4443f_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Got these on after some slight filing of the pads to fit.
34513097902_6d922edc11_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Last up was another of the bizarre things on this car, it had 3 (both rear and N/S front) HEL braided brake lines, so I contacted HEL directly and they were very helpful in sorting me out with a single front line. At this point of fitting, the 11mm nut attaching the standard line to the main brake line wasn't playing ball and was starting to round. Bugger. WD40 wasn't budging it, so we took a trip to Halfords and picked up some of the Shock And Unlock (see pic below), heard about this stuff before and WOW, sprayed it once and it wouldn't budge, sprayed it again and clunk, it was free with no issues at all! Couldn't recommend this stuff enough for stubborn/rusty nuts and bolts etc, this stuff is super cold and shocks (and presumably shrinks) the metal and frees things that WD40 could only dream of freeing, will be a vital part of my toolkit with this car from now on.
33833467574_69f91115d7_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

And the line fitted.
34674848445_1b174f99fd_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Last thing was just a quick bleed of the system after all the work, and then bedding in the pads with the new disks.

The next thing will be rear disks and pads, then it's the afternoon of track time at Oulton on the 29th! Got some bigger updates in the coming months, time for some coilovers!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Great update @Niall.do you have a link the that ariel? Mine looks ok but that's about all it does! Until I go digital I need my radio.