ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Niall's BG 182

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Good progress mate! Can't tell the difference in those real lights though ;)
Are both sliders free on your rear calipers? As I'm sure my handbrake adjuster sat similar to yours in the photo when it was seized up on one side, and mines slightly straighter now.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Good progress mate! Can't tell the difference in those real lights though :wink:
Are both sliders free on your rear calipers? As I'm sure my handbrake adjuster sat similar to yours in the photo when it was seized up on one side, and mines slightly straighter now.

That pic was when we found the cable hanging off and just hooked back in. We made sure it was level once we had tightened it a bit.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Nice progress! Good to see that you're fixing things before modifying.
Cheers mate! Yeah definitely, need to have everything sorted first for sure. Should be coilovers time at the end of next month though at long last.
Great update @Niall.do you have a link the that ariel? Mine looks ok but that's about all it does! Until I go digital I need my radio.
Cheers! This is the one.
Looking good mate, mines nearly sorted for Oulton, just need to soften all my tyres and have them fitted.
Yeah! Looking forward to it, still hoping to god its dry so we can really push on.

I'm a tad put off by the BCs now, with the rear set up where you need to use spacers to alter the rear ride height, I thought at least they'd have collars to adjust them.

Or am I misinformed?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I'm a tad put off by the BCs now, with the rear set up where you need to use spacers to alter the rear ride height, I thought at least they'd have collars to adjust them.

Or am I misinformed?

Pretty sure you wind the collars up and down to adjust the height, just like most other coilovers.

Pretty sure you wind the collars up and down to adjust the height, just like most other coilovers.
Well that's what I thought until I read @3d3dman thread, but just looking at a picture on KAM its seems they do have collars for height, and the damping is done via turning the knobs at the top of the strut?
bc5_2_2.jpg

dan's cast offs.

Or am I misinformed?

they are shimmed on the rear but don't let that put you off.

dan's cast offs.
Different to the Megane setup then, as the lower spring perch on those wind up and down.

yup, you can get a full coilover that will just about squeeze in on the rear but unless you're building a full on race car you don't need it.

dan's cast offs.
take them out to lower them. can still be corner weighted but won't have as precise an adjustment.

172 Cup,R8, Exige S1
Well that's what I thought until I read @3d3dman thread, but just looking at a picture on KAM its seems they do have collars for height, and the damping is done via turning the knobs at the top of the strut?
View attachment 187678

Best to buy the bilstein b14 height adjuster for the rear springs... KAM STRICTLY said don't touch the rear shock to adjust the height

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
More updates, and problems solved.

• Injectors sonically cleaned
  • Coolant changed with Renault Type D
  • Thermostat changed
  • Rear tyres changed with Yokohama S-Drives
  • Renaultsport mats added

Firstly, I sent my injectors off to @dann2707 for a clean, you'll all have seen his work with this, and they were turned around quickly, big thanks to Dan once again. Way better service than these so called Pro's he's been dealing with :wink:. Can definitely tell the difference, throttle response is better, particularly at low revs, it also used to have a little cough/miss at low revs sometimes at full throttle which has completely disappeared. Just much smoother really! Would reccomend.

Last weekend, me and @JamesBryan went about changing the coolant, my old stuff was looking seriously manky so with the warmer weather coming and a trackday coming up I wanted to change this and the thermostat to ensure everything was definitely as it should be. Absolutely fantastic service from @George@RTR_Parts for sorting me a Thermostat out with only 36 hours or so's notice, it was a pretty last minute decision since I already had the Type D coolant left over from when I had my old car.

Coolant was dropped, radiator flushed etc.
34833641516_3cc88849b0_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Type D coolant I had left from when we changed my 1.2 coolant last year.
34709845642_2d3da34990_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

And the new thermostat in place, after we tested it in boiling water to make sure it was working as it should.
34833641276_880a45c081_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

All went back together and went smoothly and was working as it should, system was bled, felt the thermostat opening when the top hose of the radiator went from cold to hot, all good!

Then, when we drove somewhere for food afterwards it only wanted to blow hot air despite being on minimum. f**k. Immediately put it down to the thermostat/coolant, but couldn't understand why this would be. We toyed with the idea of an airlock, but we had bled the system, but decided to bleed another litre or so just to be sure, and the problem persisted. We decided to call it a day, coolant temp was all good on the gauge, but still took it easy on the way back just incase until I knew the problem.

Next day and @Louis' had made a suggestion on CSOC on Facebook about the little star cog in the driver's footwell cracking (common apparently), so I set to work getting to this to at the very least rule the problem out. Majorly fiddly job, awkward location, pedals and the steering column in the way, but got the panel with the motors that control the flaps off, and BINGO, sure enough it had cracked meaning it wouldn't open/close the flap. Weird how this happened at the exact same time as the coolant/thermostat change (if anybody knows why this might be, do tell).
34873454725_ea30348f91_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Nipped off to buy some cable ties, tightened two of these on around it as tight as I could (with just one it wanted to slip down, would have been bound to fail at some point, so with two they were going nowhere).
34030188844_a9d73f534e_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

After a bloody faff and much swearing tying to get the panel back on and the cogs aligned with the motors, it all went back together and sure enough it fixed the problem. Lovely cheap fix to a seemingly worrying problem!

Next up, I purchased two Yokohama S-Drive's for the rear, I have these on the front already but at the time I had other things demanding my cash so could only replace the ones I absolutely needed to, so now I've sorted more pressing things on the car I'm glad to have got these, very much like having matching tyres all round so it was a big relief, it'd been bugging me for a couple of months.
34030190864_2219e7afc5_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Back together on the car, looks so much better, especially being the rear where the tyres are more on show, these look much chunkier and more aggressive than the old shitty mis-matched ones that were on previously from the P/O.
34833638966_f9164c08bc_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

I also made another purchase that I'd been wanting to make for some time, Renaultsport mats. The old ones were horrible cheapo ones, curled to f**k, always sliding under my throttle pedal and were just a terrible fit. These Renaultsport ones aren't cheap for mats, but they fit SO well, absolutely millimetre perfect from edge to edge, and the quality is great, couldn't be happier with them. Another thing off my list of doing both little and large things properly, which is clearly a concept the P/O struggled with.
34741924281_be56a6486d_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr
34030190354_23a34ea658_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Finally, I met up with @Christopher and @Eddie. in Manchester to do some pics of the cars, check out Chris's new additions to his and to see Ed's cup for the first time! Both looking awesome as usual. Got a pic of the three together.
34709850612_99ea1138ac_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Next up is the trackday on Monday at Oulton Park, so footage and pics from that to come. Hopefully it goes well!

Last edited:

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Monday was the day of the afternoon track sessions at Oulton Park. First track day for the car in my ownership, so I was using this cheap track time as a test to see how the car would hold up, and it couldn't have gone better really! My first time on track in a while, probably 18 months or so, so I was chomping at the bit to get back out there.

Got up early and gave the car a wash (which turned out to be utterly pointless because of rain on the way there), and to make sure I had all the bits I needed for the day. @Brett's 320D was loaded up with the track wheels with the R888s, at this point it was fingers crossed it dried up so we could get these on.
34644106640_bfc5bce8a1_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

We went off to @JamesBryan's, then to Oulton.
34867726722_b48aff2e5c_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

After a good walk around the car park, food etc it was time for the briefing, and thankfully the rain had stopped a bit earlier on and the track was drying up nicely, so the R888s went on.
34991454996_1439906845_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

As you can see just about below, the old fronts were rather bald lol, so they were retired to the rear.
34644105640_096893687d_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Went out for the first session, half of which was sighting laps, but the car felt great already. New brakes felt great too which was a relief after spending the time and money on doing these mainly for this track day. Sadly also in this first session, James's car was heaving some smoke out which later turned out to be a seal that had come out of the power steering pump, so it was the end of his day. Shame because his car was monstrous in the bends after the new Quaife diff, so much more punch out of the bends while I was scrambling for traction.

Second session was @Brett's turn, all went well and the car was going really well. James's brother John had his Megane 225 down, so luckily they were able to swap the slot onto his car and still get out on track in John's Meg.

Third and final session comes around, and I'm back in the car on my own. Brett is with John in his Meg, and James went to grab some videos of us on track from Cascades. Went out behind @JB21, so had some great fun following Phil round, quick video from that below I put together for posting on Instagram.

Trackside videos at Cascades. First one with Phil in front of me, second when I was chasing down an FK2 Type R.

Day over, and I was very happy with the lack of mechanical failures or issues, and of course managing to keep it on the black stuff. I was expecting to have at least some little issues or new noises, this car has had quite a few little issues when I first got it but luckily it seems for now everything is all good after the TLC I've given it.
34221192053_85a3ff9b57_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

And mine, John's Meg and James's 182 looking sorry for itself waiting to be trailered away:confused:
34187967064_8852eee4a2_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Dying to get back out there now, coilovers should be being ordered late this month, and some other bits and then hopefully get booked on a full day at Oulton maybe in late summer.

Nice one Niall, will be a different beast once fitted with coilovers, I wont be getting any now until next year. Any chance of the full video when behind me, would like to see where I can go faster, lol.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one Niall, will be a different beast once fitted with coilovers, I wont be getting any now until next year. Any chance of the full video when behind me, would like to see where I can go faster, lol.
Yeah sure mate, will sort it out later. Think your R888s were in better nick than ours too, you can see in the video we take the same line through shell for example and I'm scrambling for traction and you're off haha. Think I'll be looking for some new ones before the next one after seeing the difference!

Yeah sure mate, will sort it out later. Think your R888s were in better nick than ours too, you can see in the video we take the same line through shell for example and I'm scrambling for traction and you're off haha. Think I'll be looking for some new ones before the next one after seeing the difference!
You can have my 17 year old Kumho V70a's if you want, lol. My R888's where 10 years old, but I soaked them in Grip tyre softener which seemed to really do the trick.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Those R888's are ready for the bin haha.
Not half. The ones I used on the front aren't too bad for going on the rear. Will probably pick up two decent second hand ones for next time.
You can have my 17 year old Kumho V70a's if you want, lol. My R888's where 10 years old, but I soaked them in Grip tyre softener which seemed to really do the trick.
Christ haha! Yeah that stuff is great, could probably have done with some on these really.
Great vids, sorry I couldn't make it there now!
It'll be a different beast with the coilovers.
Always next time mate! Yeah definitely, will massively aid stability and traction. Going to be getting the adjustable top mounts too so I can run some more camber.