ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nexus S

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I
Sure there's some fragmentation with Android being on so many devices but really it's not a lot different to iPhone (apps requiring OS version x.x to run/iPad and retina not properly scaled). The other thing is that Android definitely isn't trying to emulate iOS, if anything it stands for everything iPhone doesn't.

Android fragmentation is *nothing* like that, for the most part an application which was written for iPhone OS 1 will still work on iOS4, there have been API changes which have broken things, but these are fairly rare. The scaling is just scaling, it's easy because the retina has quadruple the pixels (i.e double in both directions), so it's a linear scale.

Androids fragmentation comes about from different UI's (+API's), different hardware (+API's), different resolutions and we're not talking things that be can corrected by linear scaling, we're talking completely different resolutions. Look at rovio, they've pretty much said that Angry Birds on Android is a bit steaming pile of s**te because of these problems.

If I was to sum it up simplistically:

•iOS is for anybody not technically minded, or those who just want it to work.
•Android is for the more technically minded, and for those who need to meddle.

The quote I see for android is "A phone platform for software engineers by software engineers". You can make of that what you what, but as a software engineer it tells me everything I need to know about the experience before I even get near one. By the way, I've fixed your quote too. ;)

Thankfully Android has picked up the baton and is running with it (currently at a much faster adoption rate). Apple's problem is they were once the little friendly guy, and now they're in danger of becoming the Microsoft of the 90's by throwing their weight around too much and pissing a lot of dev's off in the process.

Google currently lead the pack in potentially evil companies, so many fingers in so many pies. You only have to look at the data that they "accidentally" collected with the streetview cars, they knew full well what they were collecting and were no doubt going to use that data for location services.

Do I think competition is healthy? Yes. Do I think android has potential? Yes. Do I think android in it's current form has potential? No. Google have unfortunately let the horse bolt before shutting the stable door, they should have had strict guidelines on what is/isn't an android phone. It's also a wet dream for the networks because they've never had it so easy for bundling crap onto their phones.

I fail to see how multiple UI's from multiple vendors helps android in any way shape or form, look at the linux desktop, it's biggest problem and the reason it hasn't caught on is because there are multiple competing desktops. There's always the danger for google that the phone manufacturers could just get together, fork the platform and leave google out of the picture.

Sometimes too much choice just isn't a good thing.

Apple changed the game, smartphones went from slow, bug ridden, ugly crashfests into slick usable devices. Nokia are still steadfastly giving CPR to a donkey that died 3 years ago (they really should just switch to android). Windows Mobile 7 seems to have garnered as much interest and attention from developers as a turnip and RIM are still convinced that they're going to rule the world.

I'll be interested to see now well of a seller the nexus S is, looking forward to having a play (it's certainly not a looker though). Competitions good, keeps people on their toes as long as it's worthy competition.

Sure there's some fragmentation with Android being on so many devices but really it's not a lot different to iPhone (apps requiring OS version x.x to run/iPad and retina not properly scaled). The other thing is that Android definitely isn't trying to emulate iOS, if anything it stands for everything iPhone doesn't.

It's massively different. I think Android would be a lot better if Google controlled the reins just a little bit more. Obviously having full control goes against it's beliefs, but just stopping the carriers adding so much crap on and having it on hundreds of phones makes it more complex.

To develop for iPhone, you don't need to have loads. Depending on how you do things but there's 3 versions. iPad. iPhone. iPhone retina. That's it.

Let's take Angry Birds for example. If you have the App Store, so 2.0, you can have Angry Birds. That includes the original iPhone which was released mid 2007.

* Droid Eris
* HTC Dream
* HTC Hero
* HTC Magic/Sapphire/Mytouch 3G
* HTC Tattoo
* HTC Wildfire
* Huawei Ideos/U8150
* LG Ally/Aloha/VS740
* LG GW620/Eve
* Motorola Backflip/MB300
* Motorola Cliq/Dext
* Samsung Acclaim
* Samsung Moment/M900
* Samsung Spica/i5700
* Samsung Transform
* Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini
* T-Mobile G1

All those, won't run Angry Birds. Or if you're below 1.6 (no idea when that was out). Or if you have custom roms.

Anybody can play Angry Birds on an iPhone. It's by far the most popular mobile game and that list rules out a lot of people. You can say they're not all brand new handsets and that's true, but neither is the original iPhone.

A lot of people are getting Android phones. There's no denying that. 300,000 activations a day according to the latest stats. How many of those are people who actually want the 'open' system, so they can transport films on a memory stick or download anti-virus apps or whatever else it is that Android users do and how many are people going into a phone shop, can't afford an iPhone (I know this isn't everyone and a lot of people choose not to buy an iPhone, but a lot can't afford/don't want to spend a lot on a phone) and pick something they like the look of that's free?

I bet the vast majority of people buying Android phones aren't buying it because they want 'freedom' and 'I can do whatever I want to my phone' but are buying it because they want something cheap.

If Android had been on one device a year and kept at a high price, they'd have died a long time ago, because side by side, it doesn't compete.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Its the throw enough s**t mentallity that microsoft tried to do with windows mobile. Except this time it looks like it might work.

I'm a firm believer that android is here to stay, but at the moment is a bit unpolished and needs a better eco system. Gingerbread does look good, but i'll wait for honeycomb and iOS 5 before i get excited.

Clio 182 cup'd
From The Hoff to me:

Different planet I like to try and avoid being nasty, harsh or generally inflammatory on the internet simply because it does no good, and amounts to a waste of typing.

Sadly I think you and I are on another wavelength all together, and it seems as though no matter how much I try and make you "get it" it just doesn't go in, which is fine. I understand your needs are so clearly different than mine (and most other Android power users), so to that end I'm happy that you seem satisfied by your WP7 phone - I can't think of much worse than being tied into a contract with that device and under those conditons, but again that's where you and I differ.

Needless to say I'm going to let your posts go unnoticed and that way we'll probably both be happier for it.

Job done!

Just to clarify hoff, I don't have a WP7 phone. I wont be responding to your silly PM thanks. Hope you enjoy transporting your movies on your phone anyway.

I still don't understand why anyone would transport movies on a phone. Just leave them on a hard drive, or on a card in your pocket/bag. Why would you store the card in a phone?

Mito Sportiva 135
I don't watch films on my HTC...I guess if I commuted more I would but I don't. I like Android but TBH there's LOADS of functionality on it I simply don't use - maybe it's too complicated for someone who like me enjoys slick technology, but not interested enough to learn how to do all these crafty things.

I think until Android is more user friendly in terms of how you customise everything it won't compete properly with iOS.

Formally Clio 182
Nexus S looks awesome. Going to stick with my HTC Desire HD for a bit longer though and hope it gets the Gingerbread update soon.

Rav4
Can I just say, I see where you are coming from and totally agree with what you are saying, specially on transporting stuff, if I could do that on my iPhone or equivalent, then I would, no need for extra baggage. Just my tools and ISO's on my phone, awesome.

Sorry, back to topic.

They wouldn't, which is why I never said "watch", I said "transport" as in I've ripped it on my PC, copied it to my MicroSD (using disk mode, and drag-n-drop) and plugging it in to use it elsewhere. Sure I was just making a case, and it's not something most people will ever do, but it's viable for me working in IT that I can copy an .ISO or whatever the hell I want to my SD and use it as a portable HDD, without the need to use another tool.

So, your 16GB, minus the 1000KB instead of 1024KB storage BS leaves you with say 14.5GB, minus the OS and core applications, maybe 13GB~, minus your applications and personal data (email/offline maps/Nav), minus a decent amount of music. That leaves enough for 7GB of movies? Righto! That said you need to encode them all to a format will let you watch, instead of the native format ;)

With external memory you never have to worry about running out of space, or have the need to remove things to make room for other media (as I have to with my iPhone). I guess it all comes down to personal preference, but needless to say I won't be buying into any product that lacks the ability to expand the memory.

Some of you should actually try Android on a decent device, I think a lot of you still have your 1.6 Goggles on, times change.

Rav4
Can I just add, there seems to be a lot of disagreements in these thread, we all have our opinions and expertise :)

I am a fellow iOS user, however, I think I will have to try Android at some point.

However, this thread is about the Nexus S, looks like an excellent phone, not paying £500 + for it though.

One thing that is apparent, we definitely do need better battery life, irrespective of brand, I know you can charge it every night and at your desk, but if you are making a large number of calls, need emails and are out and about, you are pretty much fecked.

Clio 182 cup'd
Can I just say, I see where you are coming from and totally agree with what you are saying, specially on transporting stuff, if I could do that on my iPhone or equivalent, then I would, no need for extra baggage. Just my tools and ISO's on my phone, awesome.

Sorry, back to topic.

Extra baggage for an sd card or USB stick?

Rav4
True, true.

But it is handy to have that option really.

I do see your point too throughout this thread :)

SLK 350
Stock Gingerbread or something pulled from the CM7 ROM?

Interested in a stock GB ROM if you have a link.

Revels Mum & Sister
I have a Nexus S and a iPhone 4 at the moment. Really liking the Nexus S. I had a Desire previously and then sold for the iPhone 4. I think I am preferring the Nexus at the moment. Will be selling the iPhone 4 and living with the Nexus for a while, if I dont like it, I can always flog it on and buy something off Ebay/Sim free!

SLK 350
How you finding the new keyboard with GB Rasclart, compared to the iPhone? For me it's the only area the iPhone is better at, compared to my DHD (on Froyo).

Rav4
Same as this, how you getting on with the keyboard & what is the battery like?

How you finding the new keyboard with GB Rasclart, compared to the iPhone? For me it's the only area the iPhone is better at, compared to my DHD (on Froyo).

Revels Mum & Sister
Battery is about the same as iPhone to be honest, perhaps slightly better but it is use dependant.

I have to agree using the KB on the Nexus is worse than the iPhone however I am getting used to it. Certainly better than the Desire keyboard though I had last year (But this was an older breed of Android, we are talking March 2010!)

I am getting to like it more and more. The iPhone is great and I love them but the more I use this, the more I realise for me Android is a more flexible platform, especially for themes and laying out the phone how I want and the way everything is well integrated. Hence I am going to sell the iphone.

Certainly the App Market has come a long way since then!

Rav4
I see, I find the iPhone quite easy to configure, but I don't need themes and so on.

Usability wise, the iPhone is really intuitive, I found it a bit of a struggle to use an HTC Desire the other day.

I was impressed, that you could upgrade the firmware, without requiring a PC, amazing.

A lot of people are saying the grip isn't the best on the Nexus S, how you finding it?

Might go and buy one on the way down Fenchurch Street, stupid car phone warehouse.

:)

Citroen DS3 DSport
I have given some thought to selling my iPhone 4 and buying a Nexus S to use until the iPhone 5 is released. Chances are I'll not actually make the swap though but I am tempted.

SLK 350
At least someone who has actually lived with Android & iPhone has now passed their informed judgement. Makes a change from the usual shite!

Revels Mum & Sister
It is much different to a Desire, plus you can configure it the way you want anyway if you so Desire. Grip wise not had any issues. I have ordered a skin for it, as all the cases are too bulky. I just want something to protect it. It is very light and does feel cheap to be honest when compared to an iPhone 4 but all phones do.

I will agree out the box the Iphone 4 is more intuitive than the Nexus however you can change this yourself. It all boils down to if you want to/can be bothered to be honest. The iPhone 4 UI seems a little bland now compared to how I have the Nexus setup.

If you dont want to play/fiddle then then I would stick with the iphone 4, if you do give a Nexus a bash. You can always flog it and make enough to buy an iphone 4 at the moment anyway!

Rav4
Thanks Rasclart. That is excellent feedback.

I went to CPW to try it out with my work simcard in their demo, but they would not let me do it, they said the phone would be registered.

Then asked if I bought it, didn't work as expected could I get a refund, again no.

So basically, didn't get a change to play around with it much.......

Mainly wanted to see how exchange worked over 3G, but no luck.

So all in all, nearly bought it, but walked out empty handed.

Revels Mum & Sister
Exactly where I ordered it from ;0) They look very good.

gabi_cav if Gmail and POP sync over 3G is anything to go by it is very efficent. I cannot comment on Exchange sadly. This was on Vodafone.

SLK 350
gabi, I use Exchange for my work email, Exchange for my Gmail account and POP3 for my Hotmail. No problems at all, email lands instantly, plenty of functionality and good sorting/search options, more reliable when it comes to meeting requests as well than the iPhone, which is still broken.

Rasclart, I agree the Nexus S/SGS feels cheap (to me) due to its weight, although some people favour the lighter weight I expect. The DHD feels on a par with the build of the iP4, nice aluminium unibody design, much heavier than the Nexus S/SGS though... horses for courses.

Wish Sky Sports would hurry up and roll-out their chuffing TV app!

Rav4
Awesome, cheers guys.

Sometimes the IP4 simply says "connecting" for ages, whilst trying to get emails, very annoying.

Apparently, if you lock the screen, it stops the phone syncing, is this true?

Thanks very much,

G.

Megane 225 F1
Looking at getting either one of these or the desire hd. Which would you recommend. After playing with them both today, I can't decide.

Obviously the Nexus runs gingerbread but the desire should be able to get this soon right?

No "get an iPhone" posts please. I'm going for something new after having one for 2 years.

Revels Mum & Sister
It will be a little while I suspect. Plus the Nexus S will get Honeycomb first I believe. If you can hold off a month. Have a look at thr LX Optimus 2X it is Dual Core with HDMI out and 1080P Recording amongst other things.

Out of the two above, having owned a Desire and a Nexus I would go with the Nexus.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Xperia Arc looks nice, theres the new Motorola Atrix (Probably wont be called that here)

Or iPhone 5. Either way i wouldnt buy a phone now. Worst time to buy.

Megane 225 F1
I bought the Nexus S. I had to. I couldn't live with my 3g being so slow and unresponsive.

So far, I really like it. There are a few things that I miss from my iPhone however I'm not regretting it in the slightest.

Revels Mum & Sister
LG Optimus 2X out soon. However a 1GHZ CPU which can be overclocked. Mine is running 1.4GHZ along with the other speed tweeks is plenty enough :)

I would reccomend rooting and flashing a new ROM and a new Kernel with the Voodoo sound driver in.

Clio 172mk2
yer about 12 secs in you see the reflection in glass, rumors say itll be better then lg. well find out monday not too far now