ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

next gen rumours/news/facts

Those specs seem far fetched to me, 8 core/12GB in a console? It'll cost an absolute bomb if that's true.

Evo 5 RS
Well that's b****cks. AMD scooped up all the processor digs as to my knowledge (all three platforms). Sounds like a massive load of random penis talk

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
We all know it will be woefully under-specced on release anyway. Which then passes the baton to the devs to maximise what they can with half a cup of water, two bread crusts and a fish's head.

Common complaints like loading times and depth of field won't (can't) be addressed due to the cost. We're on 4GB gfx cards on the PC platform already and I can't see the next gen consoles realistically being higher than that - let alone matching it.

D.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Those specs seem far fetched to me, 8 core/12GB in a console? It'll cost an absolute bomb if that's true.

I5 prcoessor based PCs or Laptops which have 8 cores are in around £350 retail pricing these days so not beyond the realms of reality.

I'm not really sure why console buyers even care about raw specs? It's the gaming experience that matters when buying such a device. The current consoles already generate great graphics considering the hardware. It's like they (we) all of a sudden become spec-obsessed PC gamers. At least for a few months until everyone realises it was mostly hype, and their out-of-date hardware is suddenly even older.

Not knocking it. I'll buy it/them, but I'm not getting excited about specs that I have had in my PC for years. Consoles aren't about that. They're about great gaming for reasonable prices.

EDIT: Having said that, I do of course welcome all tech improvements, but mostly in the realisation that devs may once again start pushing my PC!

Last edited:
The only people who care are the die hard PC gaming, spec pissing contest, console bashers. The people buying consoles will be happy enough with a decent enough hardware/spec bump to provide a noticeable improvement in performance/graphics or reduction in loading times that current hardware gives.

The only people who care are the die hard PC gaming, spec pissing contest, console bashers. The people buying consoles will be happy enough with a decent enough hardware/spec bump to provide a noticeable improvement in performance/graphics or reduction in loading times that current hardware gives.

I disagree and that was kind of my whole point. The specs will be waved around the internet for months and months, usually by those who like to mock PC gamers for caring about their machinery. Not a dig at anyone in here. Just an observation. I'm in both camps so I don't care.

EDIT: Although yes I agree, the majority of console buyers will not care. But this is the internet - the majority are in the minority.

I perhaps should have added "outside of 14 year olds who are being bought them by their parents and trying to 1up the class nerd with a gaming rig"

The grown ups amongst us certainly wont give a flying f**k about the numbers if the experience it delivers is a decent step up from our current hardware. If we were bothered by cutting edge hardware and chasing numbers we'd be investing the additional time and cash a gaming rig requires over a console.

The outcome will be improved visuals for console and PC gamers alike. All good news really.

I suppose my original point was based around the inevitable debates about spec vs. spec. It WILL happen :D

This thread isn't one I want to descend into bickering over PC vs console, we all know their relative strengths and weaknesses and can respect peoples reasons for opting with one over the other to suit them personally. If CS can keep it centred around the content in the title then it save pages of the usual bilge being added.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what Sony and MS serve up next time round and who manages to get theirs out the door first. I was a die hard Playstation fan and thought very little of my original xbox, so much so I sold it but I flipped the complete opposite direction with the 360 although granted I never bothered selling the PS3.

Evo 5 RS
PC gaming is the fastest growing industry this year. Unsurprisingly.

It isn't a spec pissing contest, it's called not wanting to play games that look like absolute s**t.

It's like going back to a 3Gs after using a 4S for 6 months. However going back to the next gen, i don't expect there will be anything worth raving about on paper. But the fact alone that there will be current shader technology and some actual backbone will help massively.

So where as I've no interest in raw specs I'll appreciate the platforms.

Also don't forget that a high end pc ran most of the demos shown at e3 this year.

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record...

This thread isn't one I want to descend into bickering over PC vs console, we all know their relative strengths and weaknesses and can respect peoples reasons for opting with one over the other to suit them personally. If CS can keep it centred around the content in the title then it save pages of the usual bilge being added.

The bickering has been done on here on numerous different threads so it would be nice if we can avoid it in this one.

Turkish, I see your point, but TBF it's almost impossible for a thread like this not to discuss these things. Especially as more details surface.

Ironically, my 'opening' post on the subject today was aimed at highlighting how console specs don't really matter.

Shall I have the title corrected to PC vs Console general bickering and the argument that never ends?

IMO There's no need for the conversation about new console hardware to descend in to juvenile point scoring pot shots from either camp. It's perfectly possible for those of us over the age of 5 to discuss or post links to information about new console hardware as the title of the thread suggests without turning it into a pointless argument. If people want to talk about grahpics cards in their rigs and how many pixels, FPS they can shift around they're more than welcome to start a thread so they can discuss it with others. This thread is about consoles, not PC's nor a comparison between the two.

Sure, but it's also going to be about console vs. console, which will include hardware comparisons? Or are we saying that it's just not ok to talk about PC as well?

Anyway I see your point and it's your thread so fair enough.

EDIT: Further irony is that IMO you've taken some perfectly reasonable and logical comments in relation to PC's, and made them into a PC vs. console war.

In all honesty the technical specs of consoles if the current gen are anything to go by don't always tell the whole story, the PS3 in a lot of respects should be superior but as an ownership prospect it's the weaker of the two so looking at specs of unreleased consoles at this point probably wont tell us a great deal. That said it's certainly more relevant to the thread than a PC v Console bunfight being started in here that's for sure.

In all honesty the technical specs of consoles if the current gen are anything to go by don't always tell the whole story, the PS3 in a lot of respects should be superior but as an ownership prospect it's the weaker of the two so looking at specs of unreleased consoles at this point probably wont tell us a great deal. That said it's certainly more relevant to the thread than a PC v Console bunfight being started in here that's for sure.

Totally agree mate, and I said as much in my opening post. It's about the games.

There is no bunfight. You're making one! lol :D

All I really care about TBH is Forza 5, and I aint gonna be getting that on no Playstation...although Uncharted 4?

I care only about the games, really. But discussion about the hardware that runs them is inevitable. All one can do is ignore the s**t that annoys us.

They need to bump the number of tracks on the next Forza quite considerably and update the ones which are well out of date. Dynamic time of day, weather, marbles/debris on track, a windcreen with dynamic bug spatter, ability to have white wheels, put vinyls on glass panels etc. Wonder how much of that we'll get?

There's a nice mix of cars on the current roster so adding in the open wheelers it's missing and there's not a massive list of cars it's lacking either.

Well I think one thing we can be sure of is that FM5 won't disappoint. I was quite frankly shocked that 4 was able to look as good as it does and still maintain 60fps. Devs always want more, but if we presume only a 20% increase in processing power, T10 will make something noticeably more special.

Before anyone mentions that GT5 runs at 60fps - it's also s**t.

Always happens over the life of a console, early PS2 games didn't look a great deal different to the outgoing PS1 but the ones toward the end of it's lifespan looked like they were running on a different piece of hardware. It's always impressive to see what devs can wring out of the same hardware when given some time to familiarise themselves with it.

For reals, and of course it must benefit the devs to be writing for known hardware. The code must be FAR simpler than writing for...well ;)

Evo 5 RS
Shall I have the title corrected to PC vs Console general bickering and the argument that never ends?

I hate to bring something painfully obvious to your attention but

You brought it up lol. I wasn't bickering. This thread is about the next generation, not the current. And at 6 years old, it's going to look a little stale. Like Munson says I'll be buying them anyway

Last edited:
This was the point it got derailed and PC's got dragged in to it.

We all know it will be woefully under-specced on release anyway. Which then passes the baton to the devs to maximise what they can with half a cup of water, two bread crusts and a fish's head.

Common complaints like loading times and depth of field won't (can't) be addressed due to the cost. We're on 4GB gfx cards on the PC platform already and I can't see the next gen consoles realistically being higher than that - let alone matching it.

D.

Like I say though, moving on...

Never above 25mpg
As long as it's a nice design and improved spec over the last gen it's always a winner.

360 was a big jump up from the PS2 in terms of design and graphics.

Be interesting to see how the next consoles deliver. Blu-Ray will be epic in the next Xbox if they put it in.

It would be a massive mistake for them not to include it IMO. People still buy physical media as much as we're moving towards streaming, cloud services etc I don't think either the buying public or the ISP's they use are ready for it right this moment. If they leave out Blu-Ray again it's another issue for Sony to use when trying to get their box under peoples TV's.

LOL! I do kind of agree with Darren to a point, but it really doesn't mean the actual games will be any better or worse.

Maybe we should have another thread. New-gen consoles vs. 2008 PC hardware?

I though they were still keen on the idea of lack of media drive? If they've got any sense they'll scrap that idea.

Plenty of people are still buying DVD's and don't even own a blu-ray player. Based on that I'd say it's still something they can use as a selling point even if they were to set the hardware up to be able run software in other ways either at release or at some point during its lifespan.

Evo 5 RS
The PS3 was on par with a top end PC at the time of release. Don't forget dedicated hardware goes a lot further, so on paper it doesn't need to look as impressive. The fact that they can still stretch 512MB is laughably amazing, so I'd imagine even having access to 2GB would close the gap a fair amount.

I could use an Xbox with no optical drive, but a Playstation? f**k off. Takes a month to download a 200mb update. Can anyone imagine relying on PSN to deliver a whole game?

You don't have that long left do you mate? lol

That's an aspect that Sony really need to get on top of too. Won't matter if their Hardware is epic when the Network used to provide updates, DLC etc is a complete clusterf**k.