ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Type Of Coilovers Just Arrived - Testing Ahead!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Renaultsport Clio 172 Cup
Recieved mine :) now im eating my arse with a spoon. Still didn't know they were coming though. Here's some pic's for you whor*s

Enjoy

l_b1f863215a724bfd87aa9deed9d01ddb.png

l_4a40275c8dc149c98152a6c4d8ad6e00.png

l_3d85f408f86d4b5d8033adadc63ab666.png

l_aa6edeb7e4e34a3e8130721f57c4dade.png

l_61f21eb6acac45f4b8379547948ba9a4.png

l_682fbf210fa7472cb173807c90dad449.png

l_70cf0f1935794867909a0373726dceae.png

l_53a0399a9eca46f0b5080a8a245b6c7b.png

I will be hopefully this weekend. Need someone to do it though!! I would ring Fred but I lost all my numbers in my phone

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i've asked fred a couple of times but i guess he's busy. If you fing someone let me know, i'm only down the road from you.

RenaultSport clio 17
These look sweet for the monies, i was after some eibach sportlines, but as my dampers could do with replacing as well, these are perfect, i've emailed the ebay shop, fingers crossed!

i've asked fred a couple of times but i guess he's busy. If you fing someone let me know, i'm only down the road from you.

Yeah will do mate. Where are you from? PM me your mobile number so if I find someone they might be able to do a deal for 2 lol

I want some of these... can someone hurry up and get them fitted, with a decent review please? Thanks kindly x

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
I ordered mine and paid on the 20th. I emailed on Thursday to ask for a tracking number but the reply just said "the item will be shipped next week".

I said it'd been 8days since I'd paid and asked the reason for the delay.... I received a response saying it was an error at their end and I have been offered a partial refund of €15 as 'compensation for the delay'.

When I ordered them, it was not from eBay.co.uk, so I had to pay postage costs (although I still offered less than they were advertised for), but now with the refund, I'll have ended up paying around the same as people were on eBay.

TBH though, I was happy to pay that little bit extra as they were still a really good price.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
The look exactly like my Ktec coilovers LOL! I reckon they are the same (not read the whole thread btw)

172 Ph1,Golf GTI PDI
ill be doing mine tommorow , should be fun ;) rears are a 10 minuite job , fronts hour tops (hopefully)

They're a bit more than that mate....
Rears are more like 1/2 hour,
Fronts i removed the spot welded large strut washer from the top spring cup to spread the load onto the top mount bearing otherwise all the strut load is not on the bearing races withrth new smaller coilover top spring seat.
You'll see what i mean when you split them.
I reckon more like 3 hours if your going to set camber and rust proof the threads and drill out the welded spring collar like i did..

172 Ph1,Golf GTI PDI
not sure why you wolud need to remove anything when ther made for the car

As ive already said, if you want to fit the top spring seat of the coilovers which is about 1 inch diameter = ie all of the cars weight concentrated on approx 1 sqr inch which then fits on the inside radius of the bearing where none of the actual bearings are then go for it.
All your doing is placing the cars weight not on the bearing area where it is with the stock OEM spring cups,
Hence using the large washer which is spot riveted to the OEM spring cup and thereby dissipating the load over a larger contact area and over the actual bearings which are on the outer radius of the top mount bearing not the inner radius where the Raceland upper spring seat will otherwise sit.
If you were fitting the coilovers with new pillow ball mounts then fine, they are designed to be used with 2.25" coilovers, the renault ones are meant to have the large washer/collar fitted underneath the bearing between bearing and spring seat hence me using it...

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
As ive already said, if you want to fit the top spring seat of the coilovers which is about 1 inch diameter = ie all of the cars weight concentrated on approx 1 sqr inch which then fits on the inside radius of the bearing where none of the actual bearings are then go for it.
All your doing is placing the cars weight not on the bearing area where it is with the stock OEM spring cups,
Hence using the large washer which is spot riveted to the OEM spring cup and thereby dissipating the load over a larger contact area and over the actual bearings which are on the outer radius of the top mount bearing not the inner radius where the Raceland upper spring seat will otherwise sit.
If you were fitting the coilovers with new pillow ball mounts then fine, they are designed to be used with 2.25" coilovers, the renault ones are meant to have the large washer/collar fitted underneath the bearing between bearing and spring seat hence me using it...

erm.....pics?

172 Ph1,Golf GTI PDI
erm.....pics?

Erm......no.

Im not going to strip down my coilovers to show you lot pictures, im not the sort of guy to spend hours taking photo's making a step by step guide of what i do when i work, i just got on with it, it was about -3'C and snow was still on the ground!.
Its not rocket science what ive told you, you will see exactly what im talking about when you fit your coilovers.
Im offering advice as to what i can see could be a potential failure of the top mount bearing if you fit the tapered coilover top spring seat which is substantially smaller in surface area than the OEM one direct to your top mount bearing,utilising the OEM washer which is spot welded to the top of the OEM spring seat aleviates this problem and disperses the load over a greater surface area and more importantly over the actual bearing race, if you fit the coilover top spring seat direct to the top mount bearing it sits inside the bearing race, ie not on the actual bearings themselves....

As ive said, you guys can fit them how you want, just offering advice and ive been doing this s**te for 20 years!

Mondeo TDCI 130
I honestly can't believe this thread.......... do people not read things?!

Wil they fit a 1.2, 5 posts later, will they fit a 1.2! lol.

Anyway, my experience is you get what you pay for! They will be ok, do what it says on the tin!

But the difference will be like between a michelin and a nankang tyre!

172 Ph1,Golf GTI PDI
I honestly can't believe this thread.......... do people not read things?!

Wil they fit a 1.2, 5 posts later, will they fit a 1.2! lol.

Anyway, my experience is you get what you pay for! They will be ok, do what it says on the tin!

So do you think the KTR racing one's will also be a Nankang tyre then??

jesus. you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning eh....

the ktr coilover kit is still classed as budget, so yes it would be the nankang equivalent.

172 Ph1,Golf GTI PDI
jesus. you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning eh....

the ktr coilover kit is still classed as budget, so yes it would be the nankang equivalent.

No i just find it funny that people have a very critical opinionated outlook on something they've never even seen or evaluated!.
I wouldn't comment on AST or H&R coilovers without having tried tried them on a Clio for that very reason.
Yes these are cheap and very very similar to more expensive coilovers ala KTR and Raceland, ok these are still entry level but to say effectively they are crap without having evaluated something i find comical.
I guess thats forums for you.
Im very happy with mine and ive spent alot more on coilovers on numerous cars in the past, and even after spending alot of money on some i still didnt think they were upto much, proof that spending lots of mullah doesn't always equal a great product for all applications.

Megane 225 Cup
well did mine today along with a new set of front strut mounts heres 2 pics as it just came off the jacks ill get some more later when settled and clean lol

31012010569.jpg

31012010570.jpg

Just leave them be mate. They will do what it says on the tin end of, and for how long... who knows... but for that price does it even matter.

No one should start hassling K-tec or any other company for that matter, they don't need to justify anything. They are not a charity and re-branding another manufacturers products is not a conspiracy.

They are cheap that is for sure. £90.00 trade for a set of height & damping adjustable coilovers... if it's too good to be true... that's barely material cost if you ask me.

Megane 225 Cup
top mounts were free lol my mate bought somre before he sold his v6
(yes they are the same as mine)

and to replace them was no extra time as it had to come off anyway

also i now no longer get the creak from the top mounts that most clios suffer from

Status
Not open for further replies.