ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New TV time.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Looking for some recommendations before I order in a few weeks.
Requirements:
  • 50"+ (ideally 55"+)
  • HDR
  • Gaming-friendly with refresh rates etc etc
  • Not bothered about "smart" functions or app integration as it'll be connected to a media centre anyway.
Usage:
  • 4K video
  • Gaming (have pre-ordered an XBOX One X to replace the current One)
  • Main house TV
Budget: ~£600

I've heard great things about the Hisense 55M7000 and the reviews look good too, but I've always been a SONY/LG guy.
Any advice/deals/links/sales would be really appreciated!

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
I'm in a similar position.
I want mine purely for the Xbox one X.

I have similar budget but don't need something quite as big as you are after.

Will be watching this thread with interest [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Also watching with interest.

Hisense seem like a pretty good contender against the bigger brands.

RS Clio 182
We got a 55 inch 4K HDR LG for 600 from Argos which was great value so i wouldnt stray too far from that for recommendations.

We bought the curved Samsung 6.1 soundbar with it as it matched the silver curved tv base better hehe.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
We got a 55 inch 4K HDR LG for 600 from Argos which was great value so i wouldnt stray too far from that for recommendations.

We bought the curved Samsung 6.1 soundbar with it as it matched the silver curved tv base better hehe.
I'm sure that I've seen that model too. I'm not bothered about last years models etc, providing they have all the specs.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Should definitely consider Samsung, had a 55" 4K Samsung TV for the past 3 years, absolutely faultless, good value and decent functionality too, about £700 IIRC

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
In the same boat and xbox related! I want 60" really but I worry if I move I would have been better with 55" and I think the range etc is better for the money at 55".

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
In the same boat and xbox related! I want 60" really but I worry if I move I would have been better with 55" and I think the range etc is better for the money at 55".
My thoughts exactly. Cost rises quite significantly after 55", probably due to the panel cost.
I've narrowed it down to a few options. I'll do some links later today.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
And you end up with s**t tvs up at 60" because you can make the screen big and spec s**t. I've seen a lot of cheaper 60" ones but my 6 year old LG has better specs.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
And you end up with s**t tvs up at 60" because you can make the screen big and spec s**t. I've seen a lot of cheaper 60" ones but my 6 year old LG has better specs.
Yup. My current 50" LG is still great, barring a small amount of ghosting. I'd live with it if I wasn't gearing up for 4K.

Don't even bother considering hisense or whatever they're called if you value your eyes. Utter sh*t panel with the quality of a ktec map. I got a samsung ue48h6400ak and it's brilliant. No 4k as I don't care for that, perfectly fine for casual gaming and the quality of the panel is amazing with blu rays, blacks are dark, colours are great and I honestly can't fault a single thing.
You get what you pay for, and if you're going to be spending more that 5 mins a month staring at the screen, do yourself a favour and get a screen that won't offend your eyes. There's a reason they're cheap new and go for double digits second hand.
I spent over a month looking for a tv and it stressed me out no end but I'm glad I did. Got mine from richer sounds down from £1000 to £500 and with 6 years warranty you can't turn that down.
If anyone tells you that any cheap tv has a decent panel then they've never spent time with a good panel.

Listerine & Poledo
Remember that even normal HD from Sky/BT will look like minecraft on a 55" screen.
Tried to find a Sony that ticks all your boxes, but it's got a £900 tag on it :(

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Don't even bother considering hisense or whatever they're called if you value your eyes. Utter sh*t panel with the quality of a ktec map. I got a samsung ue48h6400ak and it's brilliant. No 4k as I don't care for that, perfectly fine for casual gaming and the quality of the panel is amazing with blu rays, blacks are dark, colours are great and I honestly can't fault a single thing.
You get what you pay for, and if you're going to be spending more that 5 mins a month staring at the screen, do yourself a favour and get a screen that won't offend your eyes. There's a reason they're cheap new and go for double digits second hand.
I spent over a month looking for a tv and it stressed me out no end but I'm glad I did. Got mine from richer sounds down from £1000 to £500 and with 6 years warranty you can't turn that down.
If anyone tells you that any cheap tv has a decent panel then they've never spent time with a good panel.
Just going off reviews/advice on AVF.
Personally, I always stick with LG, Samsung or Sony.
I've found a really nice 55" 4K/HDR Samsung that I'm going to have a look at.

Listerine & Poledo
If you can find one on show somewhere (Currys or wherever), worth a look first....then order from cheapest source, natch.

:up:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Seems perfect mate! Great price imo! The non oleds are becoming very reasonable. Diminishing returns come in to play just now.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Seems perfect mate! Great price imo! The non oleds are becoming very reasonable. Diminishing returns come in to play just now.
Cheers. Yeah, seems bang on regarding specs/futureproofing/price. For gaming and 4K media, which'll be its main use, it look great.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Thats a decent price.

What are the main things to look for if you wanna do abit of 4K gaming on the screen?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Going to see if I can go look at that one this weekend Chris. Thanks mate. I just want to see what it's like in person as I had my heart set on 60" but 55 may be perfect.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Going to see if I can go look at that one this weekend Chris. Thanks mate. I just want to see what it's like in person as I had my heart set on 60" but 55 may be perfect.
Yeah, I was really impressed. The fit and finish is spot on for the price, although the sound isn't exactly high-end.
It's good enough, but as with most modern flat panels, the sound isn't a strong point. I've got an old Samsung surround system that it'll link to, but you could supplement it with a mid-range soundbar even.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Damn that price is tempting. I was thinking of upgrading from our 48" sony tv a while but decided against it in the end as the prices were £800+ more like £1k for up to date models.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Damn that price is tempting. I was thinking of upgrading from our 48" sony tv a while but decided against it in the end as the prices were £800+ more like £1k for up to date models.
Yep! Good eh. I think I'll be doing a buy this week.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I had similar requirements and bought this last year. Its a fantastic TV and I'm really happy with the picture and functionality. xbox one s HDR looks incredible.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GPIM4MC/?tag=cliospnet01-21
Interesting! I'd be tempted if it was significantly cheaper than the LG, but it's not.
I rarely read bad reviews on Hisense though, they seem to have quite a strong following on the forums too.

Listerine & Poledo
Based on anything or just pulling comparisons out of your arse? 3/10
Just on brand perception, transposed into the motoring world.

Kia - A lot of people wont look at them, because they're just not brand enough for them, but could well be missing out on a cut-price solution thats as good as the Ford they wound up dumping money into

Perodua - Just no.

What's got up your arse, you mardy ballbag? Jeez.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Lol. I was genuinely interested! Wondered if you'd bought a Hisense and hated it etc.
If the Hisense was £200 cheaper, I'd have a look but that LG for £650 is a no-brainer.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
what's with the hisense hate? before my current TV I had a £1800 LG and this is a very good upgrade for the price.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
it's a decent HDR set for the price, especially the latest model. Not to mention you are on a budget.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Ended up upping the budget slightly and going for a 2017 model year Samsung.
The guy I was talking to at Richer Sounds was raving about it originally because it's basically everything I wanted, but it was just too much.
Recently I saw it on Groupon just by chance, so snapped it up. Samsung UE55MU6100. 55 incher with 4K/HDR. Reviews seem great too.

l_10161678_002.jpg

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
No one here mentioned the fact that when watching 4K content the bigger the panel the better.
I paid 2k for a 60" Samsung flagship at the start of the year and its epic.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
No one here mentioned the fact that when watching 4K content the bigger the panel the better.
I paid 2k for a 60" Samsung flagship at the start of the year and its epic.
Yup. Biggest panel with the best technology/backlighting that you can afford was what the guy in RS said.