ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Quaife diff for Clio 197

Dear all,

Due to high demand for the Clio 172 / 182 Quaife ATB units we are shortly to release a unit for the Clio 197 / Megane 225 transmission. Anticipated RRP (subject to confirmation) will be in the region of £595 plus VAT for the unit, which will feature Quaife's usual lifetime warranty.

Interest is expected to be high for this unit, which will be available either from Quaife directly, or through a Quaife approved fitting centre from the end of March onwards.

We are evaluating the possibility of a discount for Clio Sport forum members, interested parties should contact peter@quaife.co.uk

Many thanks

Peter Knivett
Marketing Manager
Quaife Engineering

Peter, is there any chance of doing something to fix the weak gearbox issue that Clio's suffer from? Replacement boxes are just not affordable to most, so some kind of uprating would probably be quite popular?

The problem with the Clio 172 / 182 ATB for the JC5 gearbox is that the diff unit features an additional welded section that effectively makes up part of the inner joint on the driveshaft. This requires multiple welding and grinding operations, which makes the unit relatively expensive to produce in comparison to a more conventional diff - and the good news is that the Clio 197 unit is more 'normal' hence easier to produce. Hence this is reflected in the price.

Regarding the JC5 gearbox, Quaife was evluating the possibility of developing a gearkit for this application, but as yet we are uncertain about levels of demand. We will update Clio Sport as soon as we have an answer.

ValverInBits
god i'd love an LSD. well outa my student wallet range though. damn damn damn.

One day. one day

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Thank you for your fast response to my mail Peter.

We will be in touch.

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Sure i read that the megane had the same bottom end as a clio? Wouldnt it be worth fitting a reliable gearbox from the megane with a diff to the clio, i read its a tight gap but if im right that means a reliable box with an LSD. Gearing could be a problem.

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
Sure i read that the megane had the same bottom end as a clio? Wouldnt it be worth fitting a reliable gearbox from the megane with a diff to the clio, i read its a tight gap but if im right that means a reliable box with an LSD. Gearing could be a problem.

Do you mean the new megane? I think it is a f4r

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I recall that the reason you couldn't get a Meg 230 engine into a 197 was because the Meg' box was far too big... However that must be wrong if the new Quaife diff is for the 225 and the 197? Having said that, haven't heard of a 197 box failure yet either...?

Dan

Peter, is there any chance of doing something to fix the weak gearbox issue that Clio's suffer from? Replacement boxes are just not affordable to most, so some kind of uprating would probably be quite popular?
Few would pay though IMO.

The boxes arn't that week the users are usually the killers.

I recall that the reason you couldn't get a Meg 230 engine into a 197 was because the Meg' box was far too big... However that must be wrong if the new Quaife diff is for the 225 and the 197? Having said that, haven't heard of a 197 box failure yet either...?
Yep different boxes used in the 1927 vs 225 but maybe the difs can be interchnaged.