ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New: F7P Turbo Project

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
I decided to start a new thread as the old one it was all out of order and before it was to late I decided to correct my self.

My brother, Lee, bought this engine off EBay as a project, got into it, times moved on, he moved to Bristol, was working away, not here very often. I decided to buy it off him and continue the project my self, build it up, and drop it into my Mk2PH2 2002 model 1.2 Clio.

The block had been living on the floor for close to a year, some pics:
Image027.gif

Image028.gif

Image029.gif

Image032.gif

Decided to put the head on just so I could use the engine crane to get it up off the floor and onto the stand:
Image039.gif

Once it was on the stand, the strip down began:
Image041.gif

Image040.gif

Image037.gif

Image036.gif

Image035.gif

Image042.gif

Image043.gif

Crank out:

Image048.gif

Image047.gif

Image049.gif

Now that it was stripped down to a complete bare block, I got dad to bring home some industrial paint stripper, after using this and the pressure washer, a few coats later ended up like this:

Image050.gif

Image051.gif

Image052.gif

Day after got him to bring some primer home, 1..2..3..coats later:
Image053.gif

Image054.gif

Image060.gif

Image055.gif

Image061.gif

Decided to go from blue to a mean red to make a change, water pump and a few other bits back on:
Image001.gif

Image002.gif

Also tapped a hole for the oil return from the turbo:
Image003.gif

Painted a few bits:
Image044.gif

Image018.gif

Went and bought a new inlet manifold gasket last weekend, was looking forward to putting that back on the head, until I realized I had thrown the old nuts out by mistake, Doh! – Will get some Audi manifold nuts, they seem pretty good, same thread too.

When my brother previously owned this engine, he had the standard pistons machined to lower the compression, due to turbo application, he was stuck for money and sold these, so target was set to find some second hand pistons. Put a wanted up on Clio16Valver and within minutes I had a set on there way to me for £30 delivered, not bad huh?:
Image029-1.gif

I then took the pistons off the conrods, and got my father to machine 1mm of material straight off the top.

Before:
Image030.gif

After:
Image035-1.gif

I then set about finding some bits I needed, F7P top mount, bottom mount, few covers and missing parts, no recent pics though.

The cylinder head has been fully rebuilt with all new valves and all other internals, apart form the cams, this is now sat on my desk in my bedroom along with everything else from the top half of the engine.

The only thing holding me back from getting the head on, and continuing my build is that I need Big ends, mains and thrust washers for the crank, also need to get piston rings, then the project will start to come together.

Here is a image to show everything fully painted, and ready to go back into/onto the engine when I get rings and bearings for the crank:
Image037-1.gif

And here is a quick image to show the head resting back on top of the block just to see what the color looks like, you might also notice a few more bits added:
Image038-1.gif

Tonight I have been looking into the wiring loom. In my clio there is only 1 main connection form the engine loom to the car loom, same as the clio sports, well in the Valver there are 2, a big chunky brown one (the main connection) and a smaller white connection with only 4 wires in, because my car only has one, I have to strip some wires out, so decided to strip the diagnostics cables out, right the way back to the ECU plug.

Next thing I need to find is a wiring diagram for the ECU connector, so I can see what pin does what, trace the wires so I know what connector is what, and any irrelevant wires in the loom can then be stripped out.

Pics:
Image037-2.gif

I labeled each wire before I cut them:
Image032-1.gif

Sorry for poor image quality, only have my phone.

Project is coming along nicely, currently working on the loom; does anyone have a wiring diagram for either this loom or the ECU connector? I think it’s a PH2.5 engine and loom, its a 1993 model so think it is.

Cheers

320d
When are you planning on having this running by then? It seems to have been going on for ages now. I know its a big project though.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Thanks Guys, yeah, here is the car, basically standard apart from headunit, CTR areal, clear side repeaters, going to be sticking full 172 bodykit on it, on 172 shocks and springs, etc, basically everything 172, even the inside, also colour code thats the plan anyways :D

Before you say anything, i know there is a dent in the bonnet and the badge is off, the old man hit a duck doing 50:

Image038.gif

Image031.gif

Image146.gif

Image001.gif

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
When are you planning on having this running by then? It seems to have been going on for ages now. I know its a big project though.

Well, half way through next year should be built, full spec ready to drop in, then will sort the car, then when thats all done put it in.

Applied for a few jobs today so hopefully hear something back soon, will help to fund it a bit better.

I asked Revels to delete the other thread, this is new one.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Please please please don't make it look like a 172. Its not a 172.

Be different, original.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yeah but you're going to all the trouble of putting in a completely unique engine (in terms of conversions) and then you want to make it look like 99.9% of all the other 172s.

You have so much more potential with this car!

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Great potential with a 2 litre engine :)

Definately lower it by around 40mm, the weight of the engine will bring it down a bit lowerer as well! Fog lamps for the front bumper, they always bring out of the front of an mk2! Clear Side Repeater lenses to get rid of that tango orange :approve: Then if you want, some flat wiper blades which you can get from OpieOils which offers discount for cliosport members ;) Or another make Bosch does them which can be found in your local motor factors perhaps or halfords!

Get your arse into gear and get this project moving! Keep us posted with progress you make, if you have any problems there are plenty of folk on here who can offer their advice or assistance!

Gavin

320d
Great potential with a 2 litre engine :)

Definately lower it by around 40mm, the weight of the engine will bring it down a bit lowerer as well! Fog lamps for the front bumper, they always bring out of the front of an mk2! Clear Side Repeater lenses to get rid of that tango orange :approve: Then if you want, some flat wiper blades which you can get from OpieOils which offers discount for cliosport members ;) Or another make Bosch does them which can be found in your local motor factors perhaps or halfords!

Get your arse into gear and get this project moving! Keep us posted with progress you make, if you have any problems there are plenty of folk on here who can offer their advice or assistance!

Gavin

Its a 1.8 mate, F7P out of the Valver.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Thanks Gavin, i have the clear side repeaters, but what you said were already on my list of plans, i really want to crack on, being 16 (next month) money is tight so applied for a few jobs, hopefully get something back soon!

Wiring is proving a nightmare, cant find the F7P ECU connector wiring diagram so i can trace it back from the pins and know what wire is what, i think my brother is going to mail me the docs tomorrow so i can crack on a bit more.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Im a systems admin for 118 data center, i do alot of traveling back and forth to sites, they will insure me ;)

ValverInBits
Im a systems admin for 118 data center, i do alot of traveling back and forth to sites, they will insure me ;)

company insurance rarely covers under 21s (even at extra premium) and I've never heard of it insuring modified cars, let alone full engine conversions. Best of luck, but I think they'd rather buy you a cheap run-around if your that important to them

clio sport 172
the only problem you might have is the chassis is not desgined for the power so you might have problems around corners and straight lines but at least it different good luck

Chav Rocket
lol at disregarding everyone's advice!
looks like a great project though mate, lot of work but worth it in the end!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
lol @ the chassis not being able to cope with 200bhp, yes its going to crumble up like a tin can and put you into the nearest bush the chassis on the non RS and RS is identical apart from a slightly different ARB at the front and different springs and dampers, which he has already said he is going to fit.

as for insurance on such a heavy modified car... modified, what does that mean?! lol id be insuring it as a 1.2 8v.

good luck with the conversion matey

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Thanks Martain, i thought the chassis was the pretty much the same, and as for insurance, if i cant get it covered properly thats what will be happening for a short time, Just aquired a wiring diagram, of a renault 21 turbo, but the ECU pins are the same, but its in french, just need to use babelfish or something to convert it, il post it up soon.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Thanks dude, getting there, Couldnt find any pin data for the valver ECU, so currently downloading Autodata, so i can see the pin data, trace each wire back from the ECU connector, and then label the entire loom, Will get pics, wont be downloaded till tomorrow mind as will run it through the night.

320d
lol @ the chassis not being able to cope with 200bhp, yes its going to crumble up like a tin can and put you into the nearest bush the chassis on the non RS and RS is identical apart from a slightly different ARB at the front and different springs and dampers, which he has already said he is going to fit.

as for insurance on such a heavy modified car... modified, what does that mean?! lol id be insuring it as a 1.2 8v.

good luck with the conversion matey

Don't the RS's have a slightly wider track though, hence why the arches are wider.

I love you opinions on insurance Martin lol

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Yes the track is slightly wider, im not sure by how much, f0xy of whitely would know im sure, as if i remember they are both using 172 running gear.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Managed to find a wiring diagram in english for the valver ECU connection plug, i can use this to help me label my loom, this is what i am currently doing, then can strip out not needed wires.

viewer.gif

viewer2.gif

I was looking through the loom earlier to see if i could spot anything that shouldnt be there, and i noticed there are 3 rather thick earth wires, with connections on the end to join to the chassis or what ever earth point in the bay, but these wires are joined together, but are not joined to the loom in any way? i didnt ha\ve to snip anything just had to remove it from the loom, is it meant to be there, can anyone confirm?

Cheers,

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Can any of the Valver guys confirm that the pin diagram is correct for the F7P loom? its just it done seem to go to the right places, might just be me.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
hmm, was thinking that Dave but dont like the look of it much. Can anyone confirm the above image of the valver ecu pins are correct?