ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New exhaust and insurance

182 FF
Hey peeps, Getting a new exhaust fitted tomorrow (rs192) and i know i have to declare it but how much should i tell them. It claims to boost your BHP by 10, haha yeah right..! But should i say that, whats legally viable, i was just going to say its a replacement system that is merely cheaper than Renaults standard.

Your thoughts please..

Cheers vix

oh yeah its Direct Line.

Last edited:
  Milltek'd clio 182
i didnt have to tell my insurers anything, i just said i had an exhaust system put in place, i declared my decat this year tho, i said a gain of 2bhp and they charged me 73 quid:S. so dont say 10bhp, and just declare an exhaust on it

koi

Audi S1
Will be lucky to see 1-2 bhp from it. Just do as you as you say, only used because it's a cheaper replacement, that's what I done and there was no charge.

Milltek'd clio 182
yeah well when i declared the decat they then asked what was the power increase, so i had to give a figure on the spot, not knowing what i would get in reality, but hey ho

Listerine & Poledo
Direct line may take an existing car that's been modded, they just dont quote for them.

Really, you should check this before you get the exhaust put on. Sure, it'll give a full 0% performance gain, so tell them that, but they need to know.

350z GT
Surely a decat is illegal as it wont pass an mot with it....

so how can they insure an illegal mod?

or am i confused here,,,

Listerine & Poledo
well, you'd best get looking for a new insurance company then :(

Which, to be fair, may not be a bad thing Direct Line aren't all that

Ph 1 172

or am i confused here,,,

The mod isn't illegal but it make your car unroadworthy so it makes your car illegal, it's a crazy grey area in mods/insurance, my Decat is insured through sky insurance on here. Never been pulled over or stopped and checked though(touch wood) just need to take it out every MOT

Milltek'd clio 182

or am i confused here,,,

yeah it is illegal, but adrian flux do cover decats, so although it is illegal via vosa and what have ya, an will fail mot's, you can still keep yourself covered when declaring on your insurance

Milltek'd clio 182
The mod isn't illegal but it make your car unroadworthy so it makes your car illegal, it's a crazy grey area in mods/insurance, my Decat is insured through sky insurance on here. Never been pulled over or stopped and checked though(touch wood) just need to take it out every MOT

was going to say "touch wood" then but you had it up lol

Listerine & Poledo
cheeky! never had a bump (touch wood) :cool:

yoof + car = dangerous enough
yoof + car + 'modz' = claim in waiting

That's the mindset and, going by the weekly thread trend below, it's not wrong.
"gotz 172 yo!"
"gotz yozza and coileverz!"
"Just went nose-first into an orphanage, write off?"

182 FF
I have merely bought a new exhaust which is stainless steel and doesnt rot, does it add BHP, duh, BHP im a girl what does that mean Mr Line.

Sound about right

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
just dont tell them, to the untrained eye it looks standard! If it ever (touchwood) was to be assessed by insurance i highly doubt they would notice!

Twingo GT
my insurance is Aviva and they are rather good, i declared just a backbox as thats all you can see thats different unless you actually get underneath it and have a look, havent had any problems yet!! touch wood! lol!

VW Touran, BeetleCab
Hi,
Change your insurance. £480 for an "aftermarket Stainless exhaust" is a joke. Its price jumps like that, that make you NOT tell them of your mods, which is not a good route to go down. Always tell your insurance of your mods, as these days they will do ANYTHING not to pay out. I regularly deal with insurance companies, and hear of the stunts they pull. eg Mileage...car is insured for 10k a year, 3 months into policy you have a bump and you have done 4k. They estimate your annual mileage at 16k and tell you that you are under insured by 60%, so thats what %age they work out you claim at. Believe me, unless you can afford to lose the cost of your car, declare your mods. However, you can be "choosey " on the words you use to describe stuff, "aftermarket Stainless exhaust" is what you have fitted, "performance exhaust" will upset your insurer.