ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new clio rs fraud?

clio rs 200 edc
I have just got a new clio rs which I preordered but wondering if this car was already used by the dealership (in Mainz, Germany).
Here is the list of suspicious things. Please tell me if they have a reasonable explanation.

1) the speedometer showed 70 km, while the trip distance showed about 72 km. How is that possible?
When I asked the dealer why it has so much, despite me dying a hefty transportation fee, he replied that the car was driven at the factory for testing. I called the Customer Service and told me that the dealer registered 11 km in their computer system. They promised to send me a copy of this report, but didn't and when I called again, reluctantly told me that they have "contradictory data."

2) Do the numbers on the windshield from the driver side mean anything? and are they distinct for a given car or can coincide for two different cars?
It's too long to explain why I am asking that, but it can be another "piece of the puzzle".

3) The VIN of my car is VF15R4M0E52920897. Is there a way to find out when the car was actually made?
I appreciate any advice on this situation..

clio 182 trophy
Sounds like someone took it for a spin but i bet this happens to almost all new cars with something about them. It will be under warranty anyway if something goes wrong.

clio rs 200 edc
Ok, maybe I made a mistake in 1) when writing that the trip distance exceeds odometer, I'm not sure which one is which. The upper one shows more.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
I see. May not help but the mk2 trip computer (brand new from factory,that is) needed a few moments to load and start presenting non essential data (ie the mileage and warning checks. Because of the testing environment it is entirely possible that your 2 km was lost there.

I completely believe that, unless you bought the car from a Ugandan prince, it has not been tampered with. Nonetheless make sure your warranty is watertight and keep it serviced at 5k intervals.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Cars used to have delivery mileage

Remember seeing a few old m3's with -50 odd miles on the clocks.

clio rs 200 edc
I see. May not help but the mk2 trip computer (brand new from factory,that is) needed a few moments to load and start presenting non essential data (ie the mileage and warning checks. Because of the testing environment it is entirely possible that your 2 km was lost there.

I completely believe that, unless you bought the car from a Ugandan prince, it has not been tampered with. Nonetheless make sure your warranty is watertight and keep it serviced at 5k intervals.

Thanks!
Or should I just return this car and get another one.. why not?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
It's probably just delivery miles, if the dealership only has on RS on order then it would have been driven up by someone instead of transported on a lorry.

As for the Trip computer - just Zero it when you pick the car up and keep an eye on it - could just be a one off oddness.

clio rs 200 edc
It's probably just delivery miles, if the dealership only has on RS on order then it would have been driven up by someone instead of transported on a lorry.

I don't buy it. I asked beforehand how many kms would be on delivery, and they said between 3 and 15, but usually below 10. I got it with 72 and the computer system said the dealer got it at 11. I am not gonna let it go until they explain what happened.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Someone at the garage took it home for the weekend, ask for a free tank of fuel as compensation or reject the car if not happy.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Cars car be rejected at delivery if there's a good reason, is it hard to believe that yours was... Someone I know worked at a body shop and would have brand new cars come in with a scuff to sort out..

Or it just has a few miles... It's about 1-2 hours of driving, so whose been driving it for that long..?

Let's add some fuel to the fire ... It could be drive very hard on those 70km since the driver doesn't care, and everyone knows you have to drive calm for 500-2000km before you can start flooring it. :)

clio rs 200 edc
Someone at the garage took it home for the weekend, ask for a free tank of fuel as compensation or reject the car if not happy.

Thanks! but I am not gonna beg those petty crooks for a tank of fuel. Besides, they ignored my emails where I asked them specifically how and why was the car driven between 11 and 70 kms. Rejection will be difficult legally, but I am contemplating it.

clio rs 200 edc
Let's add some fuel to the fire ... It could be drive very hard on those 70km since the driver doesn't care, and everyone knows you have to drive calm for 500-2000km before you can start flooring it. :smile:

That's a major concern, but even more important is trust. They do whatever they want and treat customers as crap. I am not gonna go along with that. I am trying to write some letters higher up too, but it does not seem to be working. Getting out while I still can seems like the best option right now.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Thanks! but I am not gonna beg those petty crooks for a tank of fuel. Besides, they ignored my emails where I asked them specifically how and why was the car driven between 11 and 70 kms. Rejection will be difficult legally, but I am contemplating it.
Makes it a used car imo unless they explain the kms, have you paid yet?

Suzuki Jimny
TBH I would be pretty annoyed with that distance on it too, it may not sound like a lot, but it takes away some of the feeling of buying a new car in the first place.
Mine had 7 miles on it which was probably at 7k rpm around the docks!

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Mine had 150miles on it. Because they drove it to me. I wasn't bothered. As long as it was warm before they gave it death you have nothing to worry about!

clio rs 200 edc
Makes it a used car imo unless they explain the kms, have you paid yet?

yes, I paid. The thing is that I don't know even whom to talk to. The so-called Customer Service at Renault Germany is not helpful at all.
They had promised to send me some documentation about the delivery of the car, and they didn't. When I called again, they said they had "contradictory data" and the case is being considered somewhere else, etc.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
You're moaning about 40 miles?
Honda are next door to my work and you want to see them being shifted about. Once the next type R is our it'll be like the ring round here.
A quick google says 100 mile is acceptable by trading standards as "brand new delivery mileage".
PS, someone's probably already farted in your seat too. Oh and check your bass settings on the stereo. @hans had issues with this..:wink: lol

Last edited:
  clio rs 200 edc
You're moaning about 40 miles?
Honda are next door to my work and you want to see them being shifted about. Once the next type R is our it'll be like the ring round here.
A quick google says 100 mile is acceptable by trading standards as "brand new delivery mileage".
PS, someone's probably already farted in your seat too. Oh and check your bass settings on the stereo. @hans had issues with this..:wink: lol

Keep your farts to yourself.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
it could have spent 70 miles, banging the limiter in first gear from stone cold and I bet it wouldn't affect it in the slightest. I wouldn't be worried about it at all, if anything I would want a free tank of fuel as your probably entitled to one for the "inconvenience"

clio rs 200 edc
it could have spent 70 miles, banging the limiter in first gear from stone cold and I bet it wouldn't affect it in the slightest. I wouldn't be worried about it at all, if anything I would want a free tank of fuel as your probably entitled to one for the "inconvenience"
OK, thanks! I feel better already :)

Ford Puma
The car stands a fair chance of having been delivered from another dealer - I see there is a dealer in Giessen, which is about 72Km away from central Mainz...

clio rs 200 edc
The car stands a fair chance of having been delivered from another dealer - I see there is a dealer in Giessen, which is about 72Km away from central Mainz...
Just as fair is the chance that they delivered it to Mainz, but then thought it needed be in Giessen, started to drive it there and half way realised the mistake and drove it back to Mainz.