ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Clio 182 Series - 750 Motor Club

Hi CS members,

I thought you'd be interested to hear about this new series we are putting together for 2014, which will comprise of lightly modified Clio 182 Cup road cars.

The rules are tightly controlled to keep costs down, and you should be able to buy a suitable car and get it race ready for as little as £5k. For those who love their track days, this would make a great 'step-up' to experience the buzz of real racing.

Below is a shot of one of the cars out on track. It follows in the footsteps of some of our other successful formulas, the BMW Compact Cup and the Toyota MR2 Championship (each have their own dedicated MotorsTV program), who regularly see grids of 35+ cars. However the Clio 182 series cars will actually be faster, whilst just as affordable.

If you want to know more come and find the 750 Motor Club website, or ask questions below.

81.jpg

LYV6, 182, R5GTT
I bought my 182 last week for this series. Planning on being out at the beginning of next season :D

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Seems like a good idea, but why limit it to 182's? 172's are just as fast.

For anyone looking these seem to be the rules regarding modifications.

Engine

The only permitted engine is the Renault Clio 182 type F4R 738, K-Tec Racing control series ECU.
Suspension

K-tech coilovers. Spring rates are free.
Tyres

Any List 1A/1B type running on Clio Sport Cup (CB22) edition 16x7J rims.
Brakes

Discs may be standard or standard pattern and be of standard diameter and thickness. Racing pad material.
Transmission

Standard gearbox must be retained. Standard gearbox ratios must be retained.
Limited slip differentials are not permitted.
Chassis

6 point bolt in rollcage only. Cars must be identical in specification to the Clio 182 Cup model (CB22)

Lotus Elise
The series has been discussed a far bit and the two stick out points are, the ECU and use of 16 inch wheels greatly increase the cost. Limiting it to 182 cups seems rather odd too considering they are no faster than a 172 with the same power to weight. It looks to have great potential but needs some work from the technical regs side.

The series has been discussed a far bit and the two stick out points are, the ECU and use of 16 inch wheels greatly increase the cost. Limiting it to 182 cups seems rather odd too considering they are no faster than a 172 with the same power to weight. It looks to have great potential but needs some work from the technical regs side.

Great minds ;)

LYV6, 182, R5GTT
Yes you HAVE to run on ktec coilovers and HAVE to use there fixed ECU at a price of £850 + vat...

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Yes you HAVE to run on ktec coilovers and HAVE to use there fixed ECU at a price of £850 + vat...

b****cks to that , Just throw some trophy Sachs on it and it would handle far better :p

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Surely opening it up to any 172/182 and having the rules say standard plenum, standard ecu and any suspension would make it more accessible to people.

LY FF182
I love to do this but having to run ktec s**t means I won't even start looking into it. If it were free wheel choice, and you could run standard engine management and intake or possibly something like the jms rs2... Then I would consider it.

LYV6, 182, R5GTT
I love to do this but having to run ktec s**t means I won't even start looking into it. If it were free wheel choice, and you could run standard engine management and intake or possibly something like the jms rs2... Then I would consider it.

Forgive me because I'm obviously clued up as much as you are, but why is ktec stuff sh*t? Previous experiences?

Impreza RB5 #054
Some of Ktec previous maps have been questionable to say the least and as pointed out above, the same shocks are available £400 cheaper elsewhere.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Sorry it was gaz. How many cars have run this year then? I would be annoyed if I'd have bought gaz to find they need changing again.

LYV6, 182, R5GTT
There's been 5 out so far. There's supposed to be 8-10 out at Silverstone the end of next month

LY FF182
Forgive me because I'm obviously clued up as much as you are, but why is ktec stuff sh*t? Previous experiences?

My 182 had all sorts of stuff from ktec on it when I bought it.. I thought it was good until living with it daily annoyed me. Plus as said they seem to sell everything the same as elsewhere for a shed load more money.

why isn't it open to what pretty much every road Clio has.. Standard everything with different wheels, remap.. Then just make the safety items regulation?

Last edited:
  172, Tiguan
This is a real shame for me, as a 'mk2 RS' series could have great potential. Why it's restricted to a 182 variant on an aftermarket ecu and shoddy coilovers is beyond me. Still, for those willing, I suspect it's a laugh.

Countryman JCW
why isn't it open to what pretty much every road Clio has.. Standard everything with different wheels, remap.. Then just make the safety items regulation?

I think if this were the case they would probably be over subscribed, and end up with every man and his dog there racing due to the costs being MUCH less than the spec you would currently need in order to race. It would probably end up being quite dangerous (unless there are specific race licences needed that would ween out the maniacs) but fun to watch though ;)

LY FF182
Agreed with Jon, battling with ph1's against 182's could be fun.. Revision of the regs needs to happen.

LY FF182
I think if this were the case they would probably be over subscribed, and end up with every man and his dog there racing due to the costs being MUCH less than the spec you would currently need in order to race. It would probably end up being quite dangerous (unless there are specific race licences needed that would ween out the maniacs) but fun to watch though ;)

but the OP stated its for those that love track days, but a step up to experience the buzz of racing.. Not the bankruptcy (sp??) race license plus a 182 and a cage is expensive enough if you ask me. Controlled ecu and £1k coilovers just makes it another field of people that have spare cash eliminating the people trying to get onto racing circuits at a low cost.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
It sounded interesting until I read 'Ktec this' and 'Ktec that'.

i think it will loose interest from a lot of potentially interested people with those regulations.

Countryman JCW
If I am aloud to enter my 172 cup with my AST's on.. Standard ECU, im in!

Sorry mate, i think they are only looking for talented drivers in this series... probably best if you just stick to the amateur series you currently race in ;)

Cooksport Fleet
Basically, if this isn't opened up soon.. another series will start which allows all Mk2 sports in,

It's easy enough to apply weight penalties to specific models which are consistently faster than others anyway!
And sack off those 16" wheels!

Why would you stipulate aftermarket suspension and management as a MINIMUM in a series that's allegedly about keeping costs down?

WTF. I'm no race organiser but I'm fairly sure that's somewhat bent.

Countryman JCW
Would K-Tec have paid a fee so that only their products can be used as part of the regulations? Or is it that K-tec are part of the governing body for this series and therefore have thrown that into the deal?

WRX
Open it up to all 172/182 and just put different classes in, based on std breathing, bodies, suspension. Full grids I reckon.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I think its ridiculous, the exclusion of 172's plus lets be honest there isn't enough performance difference between a standard map and a remapped car to worry about, so standard ecu isn't a worry, everyone would be running fastchip 98ron anyway!
im with john on this one why not just regulate it to standard inlet manifold and a set tyre on 15" and 16" depending on drivers preference.

running a 172 and standard ecu would save enough cash over the current regulations to travel the country entering each event!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
It sounded interesting until I read 'Ktec this' and 'Ktec that'.

This.

running a 172 and standard ecu would save enough cash over the current regulations to travel the country entering each event!

How do you suppose they would swap out a locked OEM ecu in the event they suspected someone of cheating?

Last edited: