ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New car Evo content

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The Evo is a bit “GTR” in that respect, most owners can’t drive for shite.

That’s the long-game with Evos. The 182 is quite within the realms of most people’s driving ability. Not only that, but to exploit it, doesn’t cost a great deal.

The Evo takes time to master - even for a capable driver, I’d say. And to see its full potential, you really need to track it. Tracking it puts the already pricey running costs into another league - and this is where some owners probably fall foul.

They look at the expensive, 20-year-old car sat outside and question what they are doing when they can play it safe and get similar performance from a more ‘sensible’ Golf R. More so if their other half’s aren’t that into cars and simply want to pop to the shops. Clunky, noisy, old car with big wings versus effortless Fartbox pootling a mile or so down the road.

Of course - there’s no question which one I’d still rather have. [emoji41]

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
That’s the long-game with Evos. The 182 is quite within the realms of most people’s driving ability. Not only that, but to exploit it, doesn’t cost a great deal.

The Evo takes time to master - even for a capable driver, I’d say. And to see its full potential, you really need to track it. Tracking it puts the already pricey running costs into another league - and this is where some owners probably fall foul.

They look at the expensive, 20-year-old car sat outside and question what they are doing when they can play it safe and get similar performance from a more ‘sensible’ Golf R. More so if their other half’s aren’t that into cars and simply want to pop to the shops. Clunky, noisy, old car with big wings versus effortless Fartbox pootling a mile or so down the road.

Of course - there’s no question which one I’d still rather have. [emoji41]

I first drove an Evo 6 about 3 weeks after passing my test in 2002. (Cheers Dad.) [emoji16]

Half my life later I’m still dragging them about. It’s going to be very hard to replace.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I first drove an Evo 6 about 3 weeks after passing my test in 2002. (Cheers Dad.) [emoji16]

Half my life later I’m still dragging them about. It’s going to be very hard to replace.
“Can” they actually be replaced? 😉

I think more so in these current times where the likes of an Evo are the complete opposite of most people’s ideal car - it’s great to actually still see them about.

I followed a silver VI on a flatbed on the way home last week. It still looks a great design shape, some two decades on. Enough for me to slow down and still gawp at it!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Next gen Rolf is due to be 2.0 litre turbo, 400bhp, 4WD etc etc.

17 years ago the Evo made that power, it was a total lag-monster but on track it could keep pace with a Lambo.