ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Car Decisions - Informed Opinions Required

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, it was said in jest, im hardly a brand snob, i drive a Golf. Although for me, there is something magical about owning a Lotus :)
Ive driven them both, Elise around the 'ring in fact. Would have the Lotus every time, just that little bit more pure imho. The point of the car is the delicate chassis, incredible driver feedback and feeling of go-kartness. The Turbo VX220 would miss out on that slightly i feel, more of a blunt instrument than a precision tool.

its alright, i was only yoshing too, as said for me an Elise is just not an Exige... a compromise in a way, and the fact they are just not that quick is a bit of a factor too

Mk1 Focus RS?

was also thinking this last night...

M135i and the shed
I know you said car but you say it's for weekends and has to be fun. Nothing more fun than a motorbike and not much keeps with them speed wise. Just adding it into the mixer. Lol

Been there, done that, got the A&E T-Shirt. Lack of self control being my crucial problem.

I like being alive so won't be going back. :)

M135i and the shed
its alright, i was only yoshing too, as said for me an Elise is just not an Exige... a compromise in a way, and the fact they are just not that quick is a bit of a factor too

was also thinking this last night...

Do like an good Mk1 FRS but it's a bit similar to what i've come from? S2000's are mega tempting at the moment but a V6 is really a the top so far I think.

GW Stage 2 R26
E46 m3, vx220, dc2, would be my choices.. There was a very low mileage dc2 on piston heads last week.

GW Stage 2 R26
I'd also rather have another vx than an Elise. Drove both at the time and an NA vx feels substantially quicker than an Elise and looks better IMO.. Especially the lightening yellows like I has.. I would say v6 Clio everytime if you could stretch to a 255

M135i and the shed
Seems quite a negative surrounding the Phase 1 V6 but when you speak to people on V6Clio.net there's a number of people that have gone from Phase 2 to Phase 1 or own both and say the difference between the two phases isn't as large as some journo's would have us all believe. I agree the interior or the Phase 1 is a bit poor but a change of steering wheel solves most of it's issues.

Something about the Phase 1 appeals to me. It's the first and original, looks a bit harder and I could have a mint example for my budget rather than a ratty, questionable Phase 2. At the end of the day, any Phase 1 is now a 10-11 year old car with 10-11 year old technology but as an ownership experience I'm quite tempted.

What are peoples opinions on the ongoing value of V6's? I personally can see Phase 1's starting to appreciate slightly in the next 4-5 years.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I agree about the Phase 1 V6, the originality of it appeals to me in a big way. I think they'll only appreciate - if cherished, alot of examples were mistreated and abused. 10k for a ph1 is ideal.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
A good V6 will be a good car all round.

The price shouldn't depreciate that much and there a fun car to drive.

I agree that the Ph1 looks meaner but I couldn't live with the interior.

Like waitey said, Ph1 with Ph2 interior. :)

M135i and the shed
A good V6 will be a good car all round.

The price shouldn't depreciate that much and there a fun car to drive.

I agree that the Ph1 looks meaner but I couldn't live with the interior.

Like waitey said, Ph1 with Ph2 interior. :)

To be honest I only find the steering wheel repulsive; the rest is liveable french weirdness. :)

M135i and the shed
Looking like it's gonna be an Elise S2. Off to see a gunmetal grey one tomorrow with 30k on the clock. Fingers crossed it's as good as it is in the pictures!

Had been hours away from buying the black Phase 2 V6 on PH but their were two many questions over it for me to go for it. Having thought over it I think the Elise will suit me better in terms of running costs and how much I use it. the temptation with a V6 would be that it'd end up a total garage queen.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
£10k will also buy you a lot of Caterfield.

My mate matt has a MNR Vortex with a ZX12 engine in it and its obscene. Like mental.

549609_10151819433385476_1609818536_n.jpg

We have a winner IMO. All kinds of 'Should I buy a Westie/Caterham' ticks on the checklist.

M135i and the shed
We have a winner IMO. All kinds of 'Should I buy a Westie/Caterham' ticks on the checklist.

Done the Westie/Caterham thing already. I built a 2.0 XE Redtop widebody Westfield back in 2002. It was great fun but I'm not sure I want another just yet. One for the future though. :)

M135i and the shed
Looking like it's gonna be an Elise S2. Off to see a gunmetal grey one tomorrow with 30k on the clock. Fingers crossed it's as good as it is in the pictures!

Had been hours away from buying the black Phase 2 V6 on PH but their were two many questions over it for me to go for it. Having thought over it I think the Elise will suit me better in terms of running costs and how much I use it. the temptation with a V6 would be that it'd end up a total garage queen.

Went to see the grey S2 Elise. Nothing like the advert and knew within 30 seconds it wouldn't be coming home with me. The search continues........

M135i and the shed
Have been mainly perving at E46 M3's tonight. Tempting. What are the big things to look out for other than the obvious vanos issues?

M135i and the shed
Rear subframe mounts and head gaskets.

Ok. Cheers. :)

Currently pondering between an S2000 and an E46 M3 at the moment. Both offer different things but I'm slightly scared by the potential for wallet raping incidents with the M3. Not that my R26 was cheap to run as a full set of brakes wasn't far off M3 prices!

I'll be doing relatively low annual mileage (less than 6k and probably more like £3k) so it might not be that bad but it does have some potential to ruin my finances I'd suspect.

i initially started looking at VXT's after going out in DanFreeman's (now wick's), bloody lovely, however both Dan, Wick and a few others i have spoken too have highly recommended getting a cheap N/A VX and super-charging it, lots of companies do it now and they are quite reliable... if its a second car it sounds like it ticks the boxes unless your sir_dave and are a brand snob

Headshot. Supercharged NA>VXT

That said...I'll just leave this here lol.

7748740704_5685cc1312_z.jpg

VX220_01 by Sam_Wick, on Flickr

ETA: Having owned one, I wouldn't ever have one as my daily driver again.

So weekend toy, perfect.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I loved my E46 M3 but don't get carbon black as they are a f*cking nightmare to keep swirl free.

I posted up the link the my old one in that chap's thread in Other Marques. Great cars, apart from the Inspection and tyre costs.

M135i and the shed
Standard servicing I can cope with, it's the potential for ball busting costs for things like Vanos, subframe cracks and head gaskets that make me a touch nervous! :)

VX is nice but the number of decent low mileage examples is a bit thin on the ground.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Standard servicing I can cope with, it's the potential for ball busting costs for things like Vanos, subframe cracks and head gaskets that make me a touch nervous! :)

VX is nice but the number of decent low mileage examples is a bit thin on the ground.

BMW will offer subframe checks and welding/strengthening FoC on all cars 10 years or younger. Therefore I'd go for a 2003+ car to be safe. As for the VANOS, very rare it fails but yeah if it does, you'd be looking at just under £4k to have it replaced. The SMG gearbox failing is another big one which worries plenty.

Leon Cupra 300
I can't help but think that the M3 does pretty much the same job as the Golf. It's a practical, fast car.. Because its practical its compromised.

As a weekend 'toy' (for me at least) unless i could afford to have a csl in the garage then I think an S2000 would be better! Must be able to strap a supercharger on them too to make it slightly more interesting!

S3 Sportback, Ninja
Anyone who picks an s2000 over something like a vx220 turbo as a toy is retarded imo. A friend of mine has an s2000 and there is nothing special about it. Another friend of mine had a vx220 a few years ago the 2.2 (150 or so bhp) and that was fcuking rapid, god knows what the turbo must be like! As much as I love my e46 m3 I don't think I would consider it a 'toy' more a jack of all trades which does everything very well but without the pantomime of something like a lotus, tvr or vx220.

M135i and the shed
Anyone who picks an s2000 over something like a vx220 turbo as a toy is retarded imo. A friend of mine has an s2000 and there is nothing special about it. Another friend of mine had a vx220 a few years ago the 2.2 (150 or so bhp) and that was fcuking rapid, god knows what the turbo must be like! As much as I love my e46 m3 I don't think I would consider it a 'toy' more a jack of all trades which does everything very well but without the pantomime of something like a lotus, tvr or vx220.

A few things to consider though. Firstly, I don't like the way a VX220 looks. For me that's enough not to buy one.

Secondly, I drove two S2 Elises and one VX220 NA this weekend. All of them had aged VERY badly imo. The 8-10 years they'd been around for hadn't been kind and i'll be honest I didn't think they were worth the money they were up for.

Thirdly, there's only the very rough VX220T's available under £10k and I'm not about to go out and buy a total pup.

S3 Sportback, Ninja
Fair comment, the lotus has aged. IMO the VX200 looks as fresh today as it did when released. I would agree you don't get much for your money in a car like that, but that's what they are about.

Id be inclined to go for something bonkers if the vx/lotus aren't tickling your pickle so to speak, like a 600 bhp evo or something.

M135i and the shed
Fair comment, the lotus has aged. IMO the VX200 looks as fresh today as it did when released. I would agree you don't get much for your money in a car like that, but that's what they are about.

Id be inclined to go for something bonkers if the vx/lotus aren't tickling your pickle so to speak, like a 600 bhp evo or something.

That's the thing though, I agree the Elise and VX are all about 'less is more' and that's all good but the overall quality of their build 8-10 years on is frankly gash on the £10k cars i've seen. Maybe I need to see an absolute minter but the ones I've seen have been a disappointment.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I can't help but think that the M3 does pretty much the same job as the Golf. It's a practical, fast car.. Because its practical its compromised.

As a weekend 'toy' (for me at least) unless i could afford to have a csl in the garage then I think an S2000 would be better! Must be able to strap a supercharger on them too to make it slightly more interesting!

The M3 probably costs twice as much to run.

Right, as an ex-VX220 owner, hopefully I can add so me useful input to this thread.

Simply put, a VX220 compared to most of the other cars you've listed, is hands down the best choice for me, especially if its a second car. They are epic. I had a turbo, and I only sold it as I had the chance to own an Exige....so I did.
They will hold their value still as they aren't made any more. They are an enthusiasts car, so are usually very well looked after.
Forget those who say 'but it's a vauxhall'. It's b****cks. And a lot of people who came up to me after parking had no idea what it even was!!
They don't cost the earth to run, compared to M3s etc. Not that much more than an RS Clio tbh.

For the go kart like handling, you won't ever get bored of it. And it will run rings around most things you've listed too. You should be able to pick up a really good one for 10k now, especially as it's a good time to buy.