ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New car...again....Kit car content

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Love it.
Steering wheel does look like it is from a Saxo owners facebook group. What are you getting instead? OMP trecendo or something?
Would look great with some TD Pro race. What wheels options have you got?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
MOT passed with flying colours. Garage was mint and got me to do some of the testing with him. He said it's one of the better built ones he's had come in.
Was pissed up in the garage after the England game till 1am this morning, and then back in there at 6am finishing bits off.

Donnington park this afternoon to get a feel for it!

Love it.
Steering wheel does look like it is from a Saxo owners facebook group. What are you getting instead? OMP trecendo or something?
Would look great with some TD Pro race. What wheels options have you got?

Yeah it'll be some sort of OMP/Sparco wheel, and yeah pro race 1.2s probably. Bit samey samey as all the other kitcars, but they suit them well.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Proper jelly mate that looks awesome now.

Wish I could look past the dogshit exterior choices of some of the westies on eBay and do what you've done!

Completely transformed and I bet that will be epic at Donington

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Proper jelly mate that looks awesome now.

Wish I could look past the dogshit exterior choices of some of the westies on eBay and do what you've done!

Completely transformed and I bet that will be epic at Donington
Yeah i think you need to buy on engine/build quality etc with these, and just ignore what they look like. Then put the time in to make it look exactly how you want it to.

One thing though, it's a f**king pain in the arse to put fuel in!! The filler neck is at a stupid angle so you have to trickle it in, otherwise it just goes f**king everywhere!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yeah i think you need to buy on engine/build quality etc with these, and just ignore what they look like. Then put the time in to make it look exactly how you want it to.

One thing though, it's a f**king pain in the arse to put fuel in!! The filler neck is at a stupid angle so you have to trickle it in, otherwise it just goes f**king everywhere!
Was that your original plan or did you get lucky?

Any downside to buying something with a bigger name like a Westie?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Was that your original plan or did you get lucky?

Any downside to buying something with a bigger name like a Westie?
Yes mate, I just wanted a throttle bodied Zetec car, no matter which it was and what it looked like. I don't think anyone under the age of 60 would of bought mine based on its original look :)

No idea about the likes of Westfield/caterhams mate, @Waitey and @harvsurrey are your guys for them

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Fair play Jimbo, you’ve really transformed that! Glad the hard work paid off and it’s sailed through the MOT mate.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Looks great now. A change of wheels and new steering wheel will finish it off perfectly.

I really would like something like this at some point. It's an itch I need to scratch.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
So after it's MOT this morning I came home for a few hours kip, and then set off for the evening session at donnington.
Really enjoyed it, but it certainly wasn't ready to chuck straight on the track! But at least I now know the niggles that need ironing out.

Could only do short stints on track before water temperature was sky high. The gauge is probably massively inaccurate, but it showed 120 degrees at one point. Bit of hissing, and a bit of coolant passing by the rad cap, but left to cool and all was good. Will look into flushing the cooling system, and making sure it's all bled properly etc.

Alignment is miles out, so a proper set up is needed. Also need to get my NS2Rs on.

It made it there and back drama free though, so I'm happy with that. Only problem is, I now ache like f**k!

Anyway, some pics

IMG_20180712_192922.jpg
IMG-20180712-WA0057.jpg
IMG-20180712-WA0055.jpg
IMG-20180712-WA0054.jpg
IMG-20180712-WA0064.jpg
IMG-20180712-WA0053.jpg
IMG-20180712-WA0061.jpg

Oh and yes, the gay MOT friendly plates need to come off

looks really nice

let me know what the geo readings are and we can look at what may suit how you drive.
The temp thing is a concern as seen this happen alot with poor cooling setups on zetecs
i suffered similar for a while and i am going to say it sounds from the header tank pissing water it did get very hot .

i will look back at your pics and tell you what i think but a big decent rad is a must (look on waiteys thread he has had to do the same)

glad its gone well it looks stunning

as for the question above about westies and looks

here are my before and afters , always buy on build quality and mechanical spec

and the yellow pic is part changed because it had the cage added at that point and no screen .

it came with roll bar and full screen and doors
a07eeb23644df9b6ec208c5dc8b201a1.jpg
12e98ba817146b8c5fb52f4c654ea268.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Cheers @harvsurrey appreciate the comments. I did a bit of reading last night and apparently Zetecs do like to run hot, and 100 degrees is ok, but it certainly rose above that.

It's running the raceline water rail so hasn't got a header tank. It's probably running the original coolant from when it was built 7 years ago.
There's certainly a LOT more to do before it's ready to stand up to track abuse

i will be honest it was the raceline rail that gave me exactly the problems you have.

i ditched it for the dunnel option.

yes they run hot but

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
i will be honest it was the raceline rail that gave me exactly the problems you have.

i ditched it for the dunnel option.

yes they run hot but

Just looked at the dunnel rail and it's not that expensive. Will do a bit more reading up and I'll probably swap to that if it is going to be the better option

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Looking good.
Who did you book the evening trackday through out of interest?

right had some more water temp thoughts as i bullet proofed mine .
1 bin raceline rail , you will find loads of overheat stories online and drilling the stat is a bodge (its to do with the rail having no bypass circuit)

2 know your oil temps , hot oil especially on track drags up water temps , from memory 115 degs is optimum oil temp , so think about running an oil cooler (i did)

3 3 core ali rad , and decent fan , so it cools properly.

those were areas i got sorted and when i did had no issues even on hot track days and decent long runs.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Worst case is your HG is gone and pressurising the system and adding heat...

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Worst case is your HG is gone and pressurising the system and adding heat...
Shouldn't be on a 2k mile old engine?

I took it out for a good thrash yesterday and temps never went over 90 degrees.
I'm gonna get the lead for the ECU and plug in and see what temp the sensor is seeing. Then do a coolant change and see what happens

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Shouldn't be on a 2k mile old engine?

I took it out for a good thrash yesterday and temps never went over 90 degrees.
I'm gonna get the lead for the ECU and plug in and see what temp the sensor is seeing. Then do a coolant change and see what happens
Has it ever being apart. If so it could be.

Mines not going over 85deg but it still spewing coolant out and it’s only done 700 miles since build!

its what i had fine on road but track work is a different league of load.

minute i hit track temps rocketed

its a flawed design the raceline rail

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Has it ever being apart. If so it could be.

Mines not going over 85deg but it still spewing coolant out and it’s only done 700 miles since build!
I don't think it has, no

I think I'll just swap to the dunnell rail I think, and chuck an oil cooler on

and look at the spa water/oil temp gauge ,

one that takes a direct feed not one that works off sensors if your tracking alot

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
So I'm roughly 300 miles in now since the MOT the other week.
Each time I drive it, there's something to fix afterwards. It's nothing major, just bits of trim falling off etc lol. Oh, and the Speedo sensor has fell off!

Went to work in it on Friday (100 mile commute) and it was really hard work. Granted it was all sat on the A50, but f**k me is it horrible on long journeys. It was 30 degrees+ aswell so it was mega hot with your feet pretty much cuddling the engine.

I really need to get out on some country road blasts in it once I've sorted the little niggles.

It gets so much attention on the road though. From people waving as you drive past, to other drivers giving thumbs up and asking about it at the petrol station

owner experience is fab , people always chat and wave .

Agree on long journeys having driven across Europe.
the rain is worse than heat

Renault Clio mk1 1.4
ive only just seen this thread. ve been following on locostbuilders though? youve made a cracking job of it mate.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
ive only just seen this thread. ve been following on locostbuilders though? youve made a cracking job of it mate.
Cheers mate. I should update my thread on there aswell. Just a pain in the arse posting pics on there

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Picked the rear diffuser up from the paint shop earlier. It's civic type r nighthawk black as that's what he had laying about.
Matches the arches perfectly! I'll try get it fitted tomorrow
IMG_20180804_164905.jpg

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Few pics from yesterday. Went to a small car show at my local pub. It gets so much attention!
(These were taken on the way home. To be used in the impending for sale advert...)

IMG_20180827_142704.jpg
IMG_20180827_142651.jpg
IMG_20180827_142722.jpg
IMG_20180827_142717.jpg
IMG_20180827_142710.jpg
IMG_20180827_142744.jpg
IMG_20180827_142730.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180827_142659.jpg
    IMG_20180827_142659.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 147

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
What a great advert. Very well written mate.

Love the car s'o much. My only gripe is the rear number plate looks huge compared to the rest of the car. Almost look's like it need's a 3/4 plate or somethin'g. (I know you'd be pulled instantly lol')

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
What a great advert. Very well written mate.

Love the car s'o much. My only gripe is the rear number plate looks huge compared to the rest of the car. Almost look's like it need's a 3/4 plate or somethin'g. (I know you'd be pulled instantly lol')
Mate, the front looks even worse...
IMG_20180827_142659.jpg

Still got my MOT plates on. Haven't got round to swapping them yet lol

best way round mot regs is a stick on plate on the bonnet

completely mot compliant