ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 172 - warning light

Picked it up on Monday and the ABS/ESP/SERV warning lights have been on (together) 3 times since. They go out when you switch ignitiion off and on.

Is it just settling in !! or need a trip to garage for diagnosis (still only 100 miles done).

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

I have the exact same problem with mine!! The serv/esp/abs lights come on occasionally and stay on until the engine is turned off. Its been back to renault twice and is still doing it despite have a new ABS unit last week. Looks like I will be phoning the garage again! If you have any joy getting yours sorted please let me know!!

Just back from the garage again, been in for 3 days in total, and its still doing it. They said they changed a brake switch, whatever that is, but obviously wasnt that. (Cruise control also stopped working until re-start).

Anyone else out there had the same problem, and remember what the fix was ? Dealer said diagnostics OK !!!

Cheers

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

seems to be 2 ways of readin the diagnostics at reno.

1 way is to plug it in an start car an if nothin comes up its fine

the other is to access the memory an read the logged faults!

not technicaly that simple im sure.But i had a prob an 1 dealer had it for a week an said still no fault, took it to the dealer i use now an within 6hrs it was ready for collection, fault found and fixed! bin fine ever since!

Hello Peeps,

My 172 is in at the moment for this very thing. It happened quite often but tended to occur when the system was under repeated use (like snow/slippy/wet conditions). My thinking is that everytime the system (ABS ESP etc) is under strian (constanst intermitent use) the control system is receiving a feedback signal which is conflicting with the normal activation and running of the system, thus causing it to shut down and report a fault.

Now, everytime it went in with this, Renault would read the fault code and report no fault found. However, recently I took it to them with the warning lights on and got a mechanic to look at the dash while the lights were on (basically left the car running in the car park). He came out and said they would have to check all the wiring and electrics for the braking system.

It went in on Monday and I phoned them on Wednesday to see how it was going, I was told that they had stripped the system and had been in contact with Renault Uk. Renault Uk had told them a very specific route to follow to cure the problem. They then had to take it out on a test drive and if a certain thing happened they had to follow another specific route.

So from that I got the impression that Renault are aware of the problem and have a fix for it. Saying that my car is still in the garage and I havent heard a peep from them yet.

my advice would be to take it to Renault with the fault showing and get someone to see the warning lights, so you may need to take someone with you so you can leave the car running. Then insist they fx the problem, if they cant find a fault ask them to contact Renault Uk and ask them if they know what it is.

It is a bad problem as everytime those lights come on your ABS, Traction Control, and ESP are no longer working. And since the fault seems to occur when the system is in heavy use it could be quite dangerous.

Hope this helps

Hello again,

Just got mine back this morning. I asked them what they had done and they told me that the fault was caused by a switch in the ABS unit. The switch cant be replaced on its own so they had to replace the whoal ABS unit.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the information. Glad to know Im not alone ! I would be grateful if you could post the outcome of this episode, especially if it turns out to be a known problem by renault and there is a fix available.

Thanks

Aparently Renault UK told them what to do it order to sort the problem, so I would say yes. But garages are only likely to be aware of the fix if they have come accross the problem before and contact Renault Uk.