ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 172 Cup, foglights aren't working!

172 Cup
Got a 172 on Saturday and there's 1 thing really niggling me!

The front foglights just will not work! When I turn the stalk there's nothing! Not even the little light on the dash comes on!

Any ideas?

Cheers in advance!

172 Cup
Checked the fuse in the passenger side compartment and it seemed fine, changed it for peace of mind and still no joy! Don't suppose they're any more fuses anywhere?

How do I go about checking if they're connected and what-not, as far I can see they are impossible to get to!

Surely if it was just the bulbs, the dash light would still come on?

Thanks for the help!

182 cup
remove the arch liners to check the connections.

if not then maybe the switch, if its not making contact then no signal will get to the lights or the dash light.

then there is always tracking the voltage to the switch, fuse, lights, earth checks........

Under the glovebox, third relay from the right on the multi-timer unit. There sometimes knocked out by people kicking them getting in and out of the car.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Sounds like mine - only thing that doesn't work on mine and it's annoying me!

Fuse is ok, Relays fine, fogs DID work fine for nearly two years then had a fit.

Where behind the liners are the connections?

172 Cup
Just been out, had a look and everything seems okay...

Really starting to annoy me now!

The car is superb, immaculate, and this is absolutley ruining it for me!

172 Cup
Driving home today and I noticed a ticking noise coming from the glovebox.

Then I realised that somebody mentioned the relays were under the glovebox!

Could this be the problem?

If so, can the relay be repaired or replaced?

Thanks!

172 Cup
Driving home today and I noticed a ticking noise coming from the glovebox.

Then I realised that somebody mentioned the relays were under the glovebox!

Could this be the problem?

If so, can the relay be repaired or replaced?

Thanks!

Any help?

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Did you have you're wipers on when you heard the ticking?

Fogs are for gays anyway :cool:

Da

Less
The only way to know for sure is to either a) check that the connections behind the bumper are getting voltage when switched on, or b) swap the stalk for one you know that works.

Your car is definitely a Cup yeah?

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
If you do the self diagnostic does the fog symbol light up on the dash? Wouldnt that light up even if they were disconnected? Could it be an issue with the stalk contact?

ph1 black 172
when i first used my 172, the fogs didnt work. the dash did light up though. on mine the joining cable connector had corrosion and was not passing current. i had the scrap then all clean with a knife. put back together with some vasaleen an now work perfect.(sorry for spelling)

172 Cup
I'll have a play around this afternoon and see if I can see when the clicking is... clicking.

I got a 12 month warranty with the car but havn't received the papers through yet, the fogs should be covered shouldn't they?

And for people having a pop, I have no intentions of driving around with them on 24/7 like a 'chav'!

But I would like the option to! :rasp:

Iceberg 172
Do you live in a foggy place???!!! I live on a fook off hill and I've not needed them since having my Clio... I certainly wouldn't let the fog lights ruin the car!!!

I'm amazed that you haven't checked the bulbs!!