ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need oil change help please

Zafira and GSXR

My missis is picking her clio 16v up on Friday and I want to do an oil / filter change on it etc.

It needs a new sump gasket which I have got and I am going to replace the sump plug and washer at the same time.

My question is what oil is best to use and how do I need to buy.

cheers.

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

I would try and get hold of some 10w50 Silkolene Pro s, (see for sale section). You need about 5litres of it but its also wise to buy some more as the 16v does use oil.

Zafira and GSXR

cheers

The bloke we got the car off was using Elf Competition ST 15W50

is that bad or good

Any other oils that I could use just in case I find it hard to track down Silkolene stuff

Skoda Fabia vRS

the Silkolene you can buy from me, however only in cases at the moment

the Elf competition ST is very hard to find, ive had a case of it before (18L) but havent got any left

Skoda Fabia vRS

£140 for a case.........which is 20L of Fully Synthetic Ester Based Oil, saves you £25+ on retail price

most Renault dealers dont use Elf, they will simply use what they can get a good deal on, a lot of the time its Mobil Super S, or Shell......

Zafira and GSXR

Just asked the bloke we are getting the car from and he got the oil direct from Renault. Might be worth giving them a ring in the morning.

Skoda Fabia vRS

which dealers is that !

if its been run on 15W-50 for a long time then you may aswell stick to that, especially if it gets a good thrashing..........

P

peterh2

Assuming you dont know what the engine has been run on b4 and you give it a good thrashing would you be best using 15w50 or 10w40?

Zafira and GSXR

The old owner has been running it on 15W50 but I am not sure for how long, will have to ask him when we pick up the car.

Zafira and GSXR

Quote: Originally posted by peterh2 on 28 April 2004

Assuming you dont know what the engine has been run on b4 and you give it a good thrashing would you be best using 15w50 or 10w40?

What is the difference between 15W50 and 10W40 ???

Zafira and GSXR

Quote: Originally posted by BRUN on 29 April 2004

basically the thickness

a 15W-50 is thicker than a 10W-40
Do you think the Valver would be happier with thinker oil @ 88,000 miles

i run mine on castrol RS 0w -40 fully synthetic -- runs like a dream ive done 81,000, a thiker oil will put more strain on the engine as well but using but using a thinner oil could cause more wear !!! lol

,also you wanna look at what kinda protection the oil does for your car/\/\ personally id recommened castrol RS but it does come at a price ££..

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

Personally I wouldnt stick 0w40 in a 88k valver, I would use a 10w40 minimum but ideally the 10w50 is perfect for it, if like me, it gets a heavy right foot most days.

Zafira and GSXR

Renault stock the 10W40 for £14.39 = 5ltrs

So I am just going to get that to start with and see how it likes it.