ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need a spare key. Advice appreciated.

Hi there.

Recently bought a Clio 182. It only came with 1 key and i want to get a spare for it. It has an alarm as standard i think. What would i require to do to get a spare key made, obviously if i get it programmed to unlock electrically you are looking at more money, however if i was to get one off eBay, a key that's not been cut, get that cut to the same and then get it taken somewhere to disable the immobiliser, how much would this cost?

Help will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Keys are generally around £200 from renault including coding i think. It's the coding cost that will set you back the most.
I recently got a spare key for mine, locksmiths were telling me around 160-190 for a coded RF key that'd remotely open the doors, I settled for a £30 key that just starts the car, with plans to get a genuine spare later.

Black Sheep
I need one too, been using one key for over three years now, where did you get the £30 one that will get you out the real deep s**t car wrote off moment lol!

I got it from Timpsons, they're a regional locksmith i think. Most places i called quoted me 20-30 for a key that doesnt operate the remote locking. Didn't need v5 or nowt, turned up with my key, once it EVENTUALLY read it, coded new transponder and it worked flawlessly.
Good to have in an emergency.

Keys are generally around £200 from renault including coding i think. It's the coding cost that will set you back the most.
I recently got a spare key for mine, locksmiths were telling me around 160-190 for a coded RF key that'd remotely open the doors, I settled for a £30 key that just starts the car, with plans to get a genuine spare later.

This is what i need for now. Currently a student so..... that is a bit hefty for a key haha. Do you not need the key coded for the immobiliser? Not sure how it all works but should i get a key off eBay and get it cut to shape?

There was a guy on eBay that did mine for £70, professional lock smith with branded van etc. exact same a renault unlocks remotely and starts engine etc. £70 was quite happy!