ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Z4 (E85)

E85 3.0i
^ That one above looks mint with the facelift lights.

I've been looking at these all day as a potential VX replacement. I just don't think I can put myself through the depreciation (and sanity) of 18k miles a year. Instead, something comfortable, German and with an extra two cylinders might fit the bill more appropriately.

I was chatting to Rob earlier who said thy're a great cruiser on the motorway and will see 32 odd mpg but have the ability to really come alive when you want them to. Whereas the VX, despite being very easy to drive, is on it 99% of the time and there is no off button. Whilst this is great fun it is not ideal at 11pm with earplugs in on the motorway because the wind noise after 300 miles is driving you slowly insane lol.

Decisions!

Mine did 34.4MPG that was cruising at 80 for around 150 miles with a bit of town stop/start at the end, not sure how the VX's are on fuel... I am really impressed with how they feel roof up, just like a 'normal car' really!

I really want one, but it would have to be an M Coupe, and house purchasing says no.

Would love one but 3x the cost of this one :( have a house and a 3.0 :)

Lovely looking car, the colour is stunning. I'm not a fan of the CSL's on them though, but Rob knows that already.

I'd love one tbh!

They are a bit marmite I suppose, I loved the 108's when I got the car and was determined to get them re-furbed, but now I'm just going to sell them I think. The colour is lovely in the sun (but it's no LY :rasp:)

White clique
Looks fantastic, and the darker alloys actually look better than the plain silver IMO!

Mines on 19s, just had the 2 rear tyres replaced, admitedly like for like factory runflat Bridgestone Potenzas (meh dont care), and they were £612 for the pair! Bloke from the tyre fitters said they are one of the most expensive tyre sizes they sell, more expensive than Ferarri and 4x4 tyres :dead:

But, the Z4 is a trusty beast and worth every penny!

E85 3.0i
Looks fantastic, and the darker alloys actually look better than the plain silver IMO!

Mines on 19s, just had the 2 rear tyres replaced, admitedly like for like factory runflat Bridgestone Potenzas (meh dont care), and they were £612 for the pair! Bloke from the tyre fitters said they are one of the most expensive tyre sizes they sell, more expensive than Ferarri and 4x4 tyres :dead:

But, the Z4 is a trusty beast and worth every penny!

Ouch!!! The CSL's have Falken 452's in the proper size, I paid £450 for 4 with the wheels, another reason that I bought them!

Yours is an E89 isn't it Alan? My parents had one but only the smallest engine (23 sdrive I think?) nice car but more cruiser less sports car than the E85.

Z4
lovely looking car, all real cars have 6 cylinders ;)

and rwd! Oh bye. ;)

^ That one above looks mint with the facelift lights.

I've been looking at these all day as a potential VX replacement. I just don't think I can put myself through the depreciation (and sanity) of 18k miles a year. Instead, something comfortable, German and with an extra two cylinders might fit the bill more appropriately.

I was chatting to Rob earlier who said thy're a great cruiser on the motorway and will see 32 odd mpg but have the ability to really come alive when you want them to. Whereas the VX, despite being very easy to drive, is on it 99% of the time and there is no off button. Whilst this is great fun it is not ideal at 11pm with earplugs in on the motorway because the wind noise after 300 miles is driving you slowly insane lol.

Decisions!

Id actually reccomend one.
My 182 was the eqivilent of your vx, albeit slower, whilst it can be fantasic when you're in the mood to drive the car in anger, the majority of the time this is not allowed in the uk.

Ive found a happy medium in the Z. It's smooth and refined with plenty enough torque for normal driving (3.0) and when you want to have a play it's genuinely entertaining. Sport mode on, dcs off, happy days! My only gripe is the engine is almost too smooth sometimes. Don't get me wrong, if you want it to go fast it will, and you'll enjoy it, but you have to grab it by the scruff and tell it what to do otherwise it will happily cruise about all day long!

Ill do a full write up/ project thread on mine at some point, don't have the time ATM.

White clique
Ouch!!! The CSL's have Falken 452's in the proper size, I paid £450 for 4 with the wheels, another reason that I bought them!

Yours is an E89 isn't it Alan? My parents had one but only the smallest engine (23 sdrive I think?) nice car but more cruiser less sports car than the E85.

£450 for a set of 4 is a bargain!

Yes mines the E89 sdrive30i, so pretty much the same engine as the outgoing E85 with the same engine tweeks as the facelift models (06-09 plates) however it weights a massive amount more, in fact it weighs more than the old 5 series estates, so its definitely no sports car! Still quite pokey, but IMO other than the Z4M and sdrive35is, the Z4 really is more of a cruisemobile.

The 19s on my model have a reputation for cracking, i had a wheel replaced under warranty last week for a reinforced version, its down to the runflats rather than anything but still worth going easy on the 19s over speed humps etc even with standard tyres!

The Z4 generally speaking is pretty cheap to run if you look after them, reliable engines and service intervals are reasonbly good. I've not had any scary issues with mine or my previous E86 which was the 3.0si sport

Id actually reccomend one.
My 182 was the eqivilent of your vx, albeit slower, whilst it can be fantasic when you're in the mood to drive the car in anger, the majority of the time this is not allowed in the uk.

Ive found a happy medium in the Z. It's smooth and refined with plenty enough torque for normal driving (3.0) and when you want to have a play it's genuinely entertaining. Sport mode on, dcs off, happy days! My only gripe is the engine is almost too smooth sometimes. Don't get me wrong, if you want it to go fast it will, and you'll enjoy it, but you have to grab it by the scruff and tell it what to do otherwise it will happily cruise about all day long!

Ill do a full write up/ project thread on mine at some point, don't have the time ATM.

Another useful insight, cheers Chris. The case builds yet more for the BMW when I start my new commute in October. As much as I truly love driving the current steed I have to admit I was slightly blinkered by the performance when I bought it. That and the fact that (in winter especially) I'd look like a right tit turning up to work and climbing out in a suit.

E85 3.0i
BM Autosport Rob, guy called Mark - really helpful guy. Sorry I may have been unclear - that was just for the tyres but came fitted and balanced on the wheels...

Wheels (with ///M emblems)- £499
Tyres - £450
New Centre Caps - £30
£40 next day delivery
Free bolts and lockers included

These are the wheels.

Black grills sorted last night, should be here by the weekend.

Off to tackle lights now, wish me luck!

E85 3.0i
Here's a half way through shot - not sure how easy it'll be to see with iPhone camera and photobucket but amazing results for 15 mins work!!!

1269b3c6.jpg

E85 3.0i
Great job, as said it really takes the age off.

I am massively jealous of how good cond your front bumper is.

It's not fantastic, I'd love to have it re-sprayed but have 1,000,000 things that are above that in the monies priority list.

There's a few chips and up close it's quite peppered with white bits... but it's a 9 year old car that's done coming up 90,000 miles so not worth worrying about (I will clearly at some point have it resprayed lol)

Z4
Mines black so shows all the defects, annoying!
Im going to do a full stonechip repair and detail at some point, I'll post it on here when done, see how brave you are lol

E85 3.0i
I detailed mine just after I got it Chris, first ever outing with a machine polisher. Wish I understood polishes etc. more :(

3.5mm Aux in added, DIY cable costing about £11 and some basic soldering skillzz

7747089604_a90554ee70_z.jpg

IMG_1111 by TECribb, on Flickr

E85 3.0i
Cheers buddy.

Will probably attempt it at the weekend.

*Clean with soapy water
*Wet sand with Wet and Dry 1200 paper lubricate with soapy water (I used Megs APC)
*Polish with DA and a fairly coarse polish (I then used a fine polish to finish)

Done :)