ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Z4 (E85)

E85 3.0i
I think there's a few of these kicking around the forum now, Rob's been the one that springs to mind first.

Sold the 182 a few weeks back, and bought this 2003 '03 BMW Z4 3.0i with 87,000 on the clock - and I love it

Spec wise it's got the electric/heated seats and the OEM wind deflector fitted, that's about it.

Since picking it up, I've tried to improve it in an OEM+ way, so:
  • Calipers and hubs have gone from rust to silver
  • Cracked 3rd brake light replaced with a clear OEM one
  • Side indicators replaced with clear OEM ones
  • Front + Rear roundels replaced
  • ZHP weighted gear knob fitted
  • 'Sound Gen Mod' (removal of a bit of foam that makes it louder, chav styleee)
The car was fitted with the 108 split rim BBS alloys which I was going to refurb, but as 2 tyres had slow punctures, I splashed out on 18" staggered CSL reps in matt anthracite with Falken 452's all round, complete with new wheel badges and ///M emblems.

It's also been detailed by me so extreme amateur mode, but better than it was.

Plans are replace the front grills with OEM chrome/black slat versions, and do something with the headlights are they're really misty/fogged (a common problem) - other than that keep it as clean as possible and enjoy it.

Pics

7734335956_d259207b0c_z.jpg

DSC_0042 by TECribb, on Flickr

7734334120_be0a879b18_z.jpg

DSC_0047 by TECribb, on Flickr

7734332724_985b5d6629_z.jpg

DSC_0050 by TECribb, on Flickr

7734336914_43255be4f0_z.jpg

DSC_0041 by TECribb, on Flickr

7734338160_6648869df9_z.jpg

DSC_0038 by TECribb, on Flickr

7734317274_0f02b0b672_z.jpg

DSC_0070 by TECribb, on Flickr

7734335030_193a9df5fe_z.jpg

DSC_0044 by TECribb, on Flickr

Comments always welcome, and yes, it's another Clio->BMW thread.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Looks really nice mate, I was a bit upset you didn't buy the wheel in silver as I wanted to see how they looked on 18's.

I still want to CSL mine but think I'll end up with 19's...

Cracking colour though, really nice.

How are you finding it? Shame you didn't come CSS!

E85 3.0i
The hyper silver looks naff IMO, and the normal silver aren't as staggered hence deciding on the anth, I think they suit the colour of the car well too. 19's would be nice but I think you'd need to lower it to get it to sit right. I think the anthracite would look great on silver! Need to sell the 108's really...

Generally loving it, not had much chance to drive it hard but it cruises sooo nice on the motorway, really smooth. A few little slides, had a play with DTC off and all TC off, need to find a quiet road and learn how it corners at speed really. Strange to go from an RS clio that bite into corners to the BMW that sort of sits down and powers out.

Feels like a quality car though, and for a 9 year old 89k car it's in great nick and still looks fantastic today. Most people can't believe it's an '03!

Z4
Decent cars!
Ive owned mine a few months now and it's an all round great car.

The wheels are an improvement but I'd prefer to see some silver 19s on there!

Corsa Van. Meh.
Lovely. How have you managed to find a decent one? Me and the mrs have been searching for 3 months and have found nothing worth buying.

Bloody good looking car! Good taste chap.

Headlights look faded/cloudy? Perhaps a wet sand and polish might aid the recovery.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Thats a cracking car and the best engine by far.Ive only ever been in one once but that 3.0 was such a punchy engine it just felt made for the car.It was a friends car but it really went well.

The Mrs would love one.

Z4
Yeah the headlights will come up no problems, 9 years + 87k = hazing!

I wet sanded and polished mine up with my DA, came up perfect, sooo much more reflection.

55605ce7.jpg

E85 3.0i
Decent cars!
Ive owned mine a few months now and it's an all round great car.

The wheels are an improvement but I'd prefer to see some silver 19s on there!

See I am not a fan of silver on Sterling Grey, to me it just doesn't look right... There's a few on the Z4 forum and it's just not for me.

Stop posting pictures of Z4s ffs. That looks brilliant!

Haha, do it. It's fine in the crap weather and great when it's nice!

Lovely. How have you managed to find a decent one? Me and the mrs have been searching for 3 months and have found nothing worth buying.

I looked at a few AUC cars, but they we're all facelifts, £10k + and not in the best nick. Bought on condition not mileage, I looked at an '04 that was cheaper, lower mileage and had a slightly better spec but it wasn't in as good nick, and the wideboy on the test drive as doing 120 within 5 minutes... no thanks.

This was a private sale on Autotrader, middle aged couple who called it 'their baby.' To my standard it wasn't mint but it's good for it's age, and getting better. All about attention to detail.

E85 3.0i
Yeah the headlights will come up no problems, 9 years + 87k = hazing!

I wet sanded and polished mine up with my DA, came up perfect, sooo much more reflection.

55605ce7.jpg

That looks fantastic, but I think there's water got inside the unit so it needs splitting etc. :(

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Looks tidy mate. Love the colour but the wheel colour just doesn't work for me sadly.

Z4's need class imo and Silver would have looked superb. Possibly needing a small drop.

I'm not sure what the script is with the front grilles they look a little weird for some reason. Love them though. Great pic from the rear.

E85 3.0i
Looks tidy mate. Love the colour but the wheel colour just doesn't work for me sadly.

Z4's need class imo and Silver would have looked superb. Possibly needing a small drop.

I'm not sure what the script is with the front grilles they look a little weird for some reason. Love them though. Great pic from the rear.

Wheels are an individual choice I think, I just think the silver doesn't go as well with the grey, any other colour I think silver edges it, but grey just doesn't work for me:

z4front1.jpg

I'd like eibachs at some point but having a drive on quite a slant it could cause problems

Black/chrome grills were standard except on the 3.0i apparently, I think the black slats would look better than the grey.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Agreed then. Silver wheels and black grille inserts. ;)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I've thought about it more and the wheels do work but the front girlles need sorted out that's all. :)

Oh and not sure how hard Rob said it was for clear corners. I like the wing repeaters but the front clear lights would be nice on that colour.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Front lights are a mare, and very expensive.

Wet sanding and polishing up the originals works utter wonders, it literally took years off the age of the car, just looks so fresh afterwards. They're not as stubborn as the clio lights so get cracking!

I'd love to do a full facelift, front lights (probs angel eyes :eek: ), clear side indicators, and the different rear lights, but it's just not worth the money IMO.

i do miss mine, seeing and driving it at the weekend reminded me of this

If you'd had the golf there we could have swapped for half hour and gone for a spin!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I could tell you really did. Get rid of the A1 and buy another, they're nearing bargain price.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Love these looked at one myself a while ago..

This one to be exact..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344416999.532810.jpg

Awesome cars to drive

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Looks perfect mate, wheels look amazing!

I do love the wheels, some cars I see them on they look immense, others, not so much, but when they look good, damn they look good.

I want like a shadow chrome type thing, but they're so much ££££ in 19's!

Love these looked at one myself a while ago..

This one to be exact..

Bloody rancid wheels on that Mark, 2.5 or something?

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
If you'd had the golf there we could have swapped for half hour and gone for a spin!

haha, yeah no one toutches that hehe... not even me atm lol.. i really need to wash it and get it out a bit more

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
The wheels were hideous but his other were away being refurbed (same ones as urs) cant remember the engine size. Was in for MOT, colour was lovely though..

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
The better colour is the estoril blue, rare as hell though. Saw one in London the other week driving home from work, proper striking. You're right though Mark, they do drive Very well.

Golf 7R
The wheels were hideous but his other were away being refurbed (same ones as urs) cant remember the engine size. Was in for MOT, colour was lovely though..

That's Maldives Blue like mine. The style of the wheels don't suit the car/colour IMO.

OP - Your car is superb.

E85 3.0i
Thanks for all the positive comments guys, surprised at the lack of 'what a gayers car' etc.

Gally - here's one with black grills (that I'm in the process of trying to acquire) and also clear lights on the front (and silver wheels...)

DSC_0097.jpg

As Rob said they are an absolute ballache to do as you have to do a cut and shut using new/old headlights to make one good one. It's been done but I CBA with the hassle/expense. You can get clear rear's too that eliminate the orange indicator - some went on eBay recently for £380... :dead:

Side repeaters we're an absolute bargain, sub £30 brand new from eBay.de

Have some wet and dry and the DAS-6 ready for tomorrow, if I don't get time tonight that is.

^ That one above looks mint with the facelift lights.

I've been looking at these all day as a potential VX replacement. I just don't think I can put myself through the depreciation (and sanity) of 18k miles a year. Instead, something comfortable, German and with an extra two cylinders might fit the bill more appropriately.

I was chatting to Rob earlier who said thy're a great cruiser on the motorway and will see 32 odd mpg but have the ability to really come alive when you want them to. Whereas the VX, despite being very easy to drive, is on it 99% of the time and there is no off button. Whilst this is great fun it is not ideal at 11pm with earplugs in on the motorway because the wind noise after 300 miles is driving you slowly insane lol.

Decisions!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Lovely looking car, the colour is stunning. I'm not a fan of the CSL's on them though, but Rob knows that already.

I'd love one tbh!