ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Z3M Coupe

Mental. That does seem to ring true to my own experiences though unfortunately. Some HU's seem to support both ancient and spanking new ipods, yet have a massive hole of compatability for anything inbetween.

Which unit is it?

IDA-X100 So a few years old now, I think. I'll just use a USB stick for the time being, not spending anymore trying different things until it'll 100% work!

IDA-X100 So a few years old now, I think. I'll just use a USB stick for the time being, not spending anymore trying different things until it'll 100% work!

Should be a kce-422i lead for their 'full speed' connection, but in theory on the x100's you can just plug in the nano to the USB port with your existing ipod pc cable.

Yeah, that was the first one I tried - worked absolutely fine with my parents Classic, but didn't like mine. Tried the Apple USB cable, didn't recognise it, tried the Alpine USB cable, still nothing, so I've not got a clue!

Fiesta ST-3
I'm pretty sure I saw you today mate!? Parked at the halfords just down the from kirkstall road in leeds.

If not there is another private reg'd z3m starting with L9 haha :)

182+1.5DCI+S2000
very nice! i always think of this video when i see this car :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well a bit of an update is due.

Perhaps most notably, a week or so back, a nice chap decided to reverse into me in the works car park. I was queuing to get out, he was to my right in a parking space and the bloke basically just backed out without bothering to look my way. Leant on the horn for a good couple of seconds but he kept going.

Upshot was relatively minor thankfully. The bump ripped the front plate holder clean off its mountings obviously taking my pressed plate with it.

Leaving me with this for the time being:

DSC00205.jpg

DSC00206.jpg
'

A few days later the chap responsible gave me £150 to sort it out based on the cost of a new plate holder from bmw and a lick of paint. So one of todays jobs was sorting that out:

DSC00204.jpg

That should be going on in a couple of days when its had chance to harden off and i can cut it back and buff it up.

By way of a present to the car for going through the wars I crossed something off my 'to buy' list - A Storm Motorwerks V1 weighted gear knob. Unbelievably chuffed with it so far. Would never have believed that a gearknob could change the feel of the shift so much. The extra weight and shorter height is just perfect. Makes it a joy to swap cogs. The engraving was a few pounds more but a really nice touch.
DSC00207.jpg

DSC00209.jpg

In other news, finally got 2 new front tyres that the M so desperately needed. Went for Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's. Very impressed with them from what i have felt so far. I'll most probably replace the rears with them when the current Hankook's die.
UK_1_Goodyear_Eagle_F1_Asymmetric_a.jpg

And finally decided to change something that has been niggling away at me for a little while. Now winter is over and i'm no longer driving everywhere in the dark, the HID's are no longer so neccessary, this meant the aftermarket projector lights can take a back seat for a while.

Just for you Christopher:
DSC00211.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

Inspection 1 service is due very shortly, so its been an expensive couple of months recently. Insurance renewal for £700 in march, £230 of front tyres, £120 for 6 months of tax and £350 for the service.

I'm dieing to do something about the quiet exhausts but funds are dictating thats going to have to wait for now. Something to look forward to i suppose.

For now I'm just loving driving it. Getting the windows down and very slightly sideways out of junctions isnt really loosing its appeal.

Cheers
Tom

BMW didn't want it to take the M3's halo so didn't give it the 6 speed and claimed it wouldn't fit. Some people are modifying the factory boxes by removing baffles but there are aftermarket options but they're not cheap. I've got Eisenmann boxes on mine but "road" tone so hardly louder than stock except for full throttle where it does make a nicer sound but this is what I wanted.

My Coupe has the projectors with HID kits, I know they divide opinion but the factory headlight output isn't good and the light output looks dated when you see fuzzy yellow headlights. I think the blackout grills and the projectors is possibly "too much" modification at the front which is why it perhaps looks better with factory headlights.

These cars look much better and "right" with a drop in ride height IMO, the factory suspension is a bit high and soft compared to modern M cars.

Last edited:
BMW didn't want it to take the M3's halo so didn't give it the 6 speed and claimed it wouldn't fit. Some people are modifying the factory boxes by removing baffles but there are aftermarket options but they're not cheap. I've got Eisenmann boxes on mine but "road" tone so hardly louder than stock except for full throttle where it does make a nicer sound but this is what I wanted.

My Coupe has the projectors with HID kits, I know they divide opinion but the factory headlight output isn't good and the light output looks dated when you see fuzzy yellow headlights. I think the blackout grills and the projectors is possibly "too much" modification at the front which is why it perhaps looks better with factory headlights.

These cars look much better and "right" with a drop in ride height IMO, the factory suspension is a bit high and soft compared to modern M cars.

Couldnt agree more. Slight drop is lined up for the future to get it sitting right. At he moment it doesnt really look like a sports car imo, more of a coupe with a long bonnet.

Re the exhausts, ive seen the exdos modification but dont want to get into butchering original parts. There is an exceptional custom exhaust shop a few minutes from where i live which ill be going to when i can afford it.

Couple of small updates ahead of a few more serious changes :evil:

The M knocked past 100k miles a few weeks ago
20120523_140336.jpg

This roughly coincided with an Inspection I being due, so new fluids and a good check over revealed a cracked front spring (more on that in the near future) and a nail in the rear o/s tyre, which were close to the tread limiters anyway.

A set of new rubber was therefore required. Went for a pair of Kumho KU36's in the end - a relatively unknown and rare tyre in the UK but im very pleased indeed with them so far. A marked improvement over the old Hankook V12's, however i'm unsure if that was due to them being near the end of their useful life anyway.

DSC00232.jpg

DSC00233.jpg

Gave it a scrub down today even though torrential rain is forecasted for the next few days:
DSC00237.jpg

DSC00236.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

DSC00234.jpg

In an attempt to quell the piss-takers at work i also bought a sticker:
DSC00235.jpg

Still loving the thing. Bought an adjustable clutch stop a few days back which has transformed the gearshifting experience when combined with the weighted knob. An essential mod for anyone with a Z3M.

Looking forward to the next 100,000 miles.

Cheers
Tom

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Someone up the road from me just got one of these, I always had a thing for them but I love them more than ever now.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Lovely example! Don't know what those tyres are like performance wise but I like tread pattern:)

And whoever thinks that is a hairdressers car obviously knows nothing about cars in my opinion!

I've just been outbid on a set of bilstein's with h&r springs that were on the bay. They went for too much in the end, so im continuing with my original plan.

That means these are hopefully getting fitted tomorrow depending on the weather:

20120701_195000.jpg

Post fitting update to follow...

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
Lovely car! cant wait to see the spax on see how it sits!

Following the snapped spring on the front right, yesterday I got the new set of spax springs on.

Before:
DSC00242.jpg

After
DSC00255.jpg

DSC00250.jpg

I've only done a few miles since having them on but it looks like everything clears so far, although the rears are mighty tight!

Lovely. I should really stop looking in this thread. I want one sooo badly.

And who the hell is saying it's a hairdressers car?!? Z3MC is a hero's car surely!