ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My VTEC Mini - build diary

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Great choice E11OOT!!

Managed to get it all polished yesterday and a few shiney bits put back on!!...

MiniPics010809005.jpg

MiniPics010809004.jpg

MiniPics010809003.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Chris

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Guys,

Got a bit more done on the mini this last week.

Managed to tint my windows while they were out;

Original.jpg

rearscreencleaned.jpg

rearscreentinted.jpg

Then got the rears fitted along with bumper and aerial;

NoWindow.jpg

WithWindow.jpg

Windows01.jpg

Windows03.jpg

Cheers
C

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
Brilliant read, i'd love to do something like this! Good luck with the final bits!

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
A few more update pics with my mini!.... bad weekend though, cracked the sodding windscreen putting it in!!....

Both front arches are finished now! but Im thinking I may need to extend the rear to match!!... more work!!

Photo0269.jpg

Photo0271.jpg

Photo0273.jpg

Photo0275.jpg

Cheers
Chris

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Love this mate, id love to have the skill to put somthing like that together :)

What will be the final weight of the car...?

LY R26
this looks great, i was at combe for the mini day on sat some lovely vtec ones there, proper animals!

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Cheers fellas for your kind comments..

Yeah its just loads of niggling little problems that are holding us up... Im not 100% happy with the front coilovers mounts, as they are currently mounted where the old shock mounts were, doesnt seem strong enough so we have deceided to beef these up and use stronger fixings...

Got to sort my harness mounts out too as well as finishing the wiring off...

I want to get my dashboard flocked too!!... anyone know of anyone in yorkshire who does it??...

Hopefully be on the road early next year!!... so ill have to try and get to a local meet in it!!

Cheers again!

Chris

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
this looks great, i was at combe for the mini day on sat some lovely vtec ones there, proper animals!

Yeah it looked a good day, I have seen some of the footage from one of the chaps on the mini forum!!...

There are some truley magnificent vtec minis about with mega ££££ spent on them!..

C

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Jesus christ...

If it is say 700kg's then thatll be around 285/bhp ton...!

0-100 will be around 11 seconds..!!! Christ it'll fly!

Yeah hopefully :), I have heard reports that once they are rolling they are pretty savage!!.. its getting them rolling thats the problem as they tend to spin the tyres in third!!..

Chris

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Have you thought about an LSD...? Would that be possible actually..? Would the short wheel base have limitations to this...?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Wwhere did you get the subframe mate? I'm looking for one for the 1.4 k series is 16vminishop the only people who do them?

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Yeah they were although Im not sure if Matt is still taking orders.... think he might have jacked it in!...

The 16vminishop frame was essentially the Allspeed frame that Matt took orders for and they never did a K-series frame, most of them I have seen have been a modifield Mini subframe to take a K-series...

(http://www.allspeedengineering.com/)

Geoff Watson at Watsons Rally is your man, very informative and helpful!..

http://www.watsonsrally.co.uk/home.html

The frame is basically a modified metro frame!!

Cheers
Chris

In between cars....
That looks awesome mate, would love to tackle somthing like that one day

Whats your back ground with cars? Lot of skills used there!!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Lol - just how unstressed is that iVTEC lump going to be lugging around that tiny Mini?

Looks like a right barrel of laughs! Good updates on the car, m8!

D.

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Whats your back ground with cars? Lot of skills used there!!

None what so ever!!... this is the first project I have done!!... always loved the old mini especially the clubby!! I was traulling the miniworld magazine one day where I saw one that had a vtec lump in it!!... saw the performance figures and watched the ringmini vid on youtube and just had to have one!!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzcFvsbPOIU

(sorry dont know how to embed)

this fella knows how to make it go and thats only a poxy B16 :) !!...

Fortunatly my old man has restored a fair few cars in his time so has been my advisor throughout... lots and lots of research on the web has proven invaluable too!...

Cheers
Chris

In between cars....
Thats cool like, soon as i get a house with a healthy sized garage ill have a project on the go!

First thing i want to build is a bike engined, super 7 based kit car ;) lol

Bumder With A Buffer
Can any mini be used to do this type of conversion?? I mean I have been looking on ebay recently for a few just to see prices..£150

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Not had it started yet... cant wait though, just got to finish stripping the loom and connect the fuel up and we are good to go... just been concentrating on the exterior!!

Had a mare of a weekend... .everything went wrong! :-(

Cracked windscreen putting it in

Realised that some of the paint was a bad batch so doesnt match the rest of the car!! GRRRR

Got new windscreen tho so will hopefully do a better job this time round!!..

Im not happy with the rear arches so I did a photoshop to show how they will look with a good few days extending!!.... :-(

As im sure you will agree they will look tonnes better! :)

RearArch.jpg

Got a good few Inches left to wind down on the front springs too..... :)

Cheers for looking
Chris

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Hi people,

Made some more progress fitting the interior, got the carpets in, seats in and finally the roll cage:

miniint.jpg

miniint1.jpg

miniint2.jpg

Hopefully getting the dials trial fitted in the dash, then sending it off for flocking!..

Cheers
Chris

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Looks great mate, coming on a treat that!

You should maybe get a hold of some glass suckers to save you handling the glass atall? makes it easier to manouver into position?

Do you mind if i ask what kind of cost was involved in putting this all together? PM if thats not too cheeky? :eek:

2003 Clio 1.6 Dynamique
This is epic. Please tell me youre going to get it featured in minimag or miniworld because it bloodywell deserves it!

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Thanks for the kind comments guys, always nice to hear such positive feedback :) - Ill hopefully have it finished within the next couple of months provided the wiring doesnt hold me up!... well I say finished - I mean on the road - Ill probably never finish it as I hope to get it on bike carbs or TB's when everything is in order!

I will definatly be taking it to shows etc not sure about a mag feature - possibly
! :)

Thanks again
Chris