ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My valver/172 project

M

mini-valver

Lol! Can't wait dude, loved this project, until it all went abit tits up ;)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
cheers dan! :D

and yeh, this project has been cursed.. was definitely not expecting a court case when it started!

ITB'd MK1
so it runs ok now then, what was up?

recon it's 99% there. Stalled at a junction and it got a bit rich when left to idle so probably the lambda sensor not getting hot enough, and maybe a touch more static idle on the throttle body screw needed. Be a piece of piss to prove what it's doing with a diagnostic port :(

Re the obd socket, if you`ve used a Ph1 172 ecu it was a direct line to the injection computer from the obd socket. Get one off any Clio with the later type socket and if my wiring diag is right.............

obd socket pin 15 to inj comp pin 26
" " " " " 7 to inj comp pin 56
" " " " " 5 is an earth
got a feeling it needs a 12 v feed too but it dont show that so ill try and find it for you.

Only ph2`s will req the uch as they used multiplex wiring/diagnostics but the ph1 was too early for this.

hope this helps.

stu

'92 172, Lotus Elise
ah fantastic!

I left a short length of wire on the ecu connector incase of things like this!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
someone send me an OBD port

and then some sort of OBD reader :D

would this allow me to use RSTuner? I've seen them mentioned a bit, do they allow you to remap?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Q: Why must there be a connection between pin 8 and pin 18 at the ecu ?

A:pin 18 at the ECU connector is the ECU serial TX transmit line. It is connected to pin 9 at the diagnostic connector.
Normally there is no serial RX receive line available. So we can't send information (data) to the ECU.
In order to do so, we have to connect pin 8 serial RX receive line to pin 18 transmit line.
This allows us to receive and send data to the ECU using only 1 wire (pin 9) of the diagnostic connector.

so needs ecu18 to obd9

not sure about the rest?

The pin 18 to pin 9 is for the old square diag socket for the F7p/r engine.

PM me your address and ill send you a diag socket with some loom attached and the wiring connections that you`ll need to do.

Stu

'92 172, Lotus Elise
mini update... now on the road :)

DSCF2590.jpg

thanks again to stu_16v for the diag port + wiring info! will get that hooked up soon... then i'll try and get a usb-obdII cable and see if the engine is running ok! :D

'92 172, Lotus Elise
small bit of progress with the OBD2

vagcomobd.jpg

all wired in, just can't seem to get the laptop to speak to the ecu :(

only result i've had is with vag-coms OBDII test (above) which suggests all systems are go :/

maybe I've got the K and L lines round the wrong way :/

'92 172, Lotus Elise
bit of a bump! :D

I've always been 'annoyed' at the valver ext. temp display... huge display for showing 1 bit of info... so I've just spent the afternoon fitting a trip computer!

Current temp (shows in Fahrenheit :( - need to change that)
DSCF2783.jpg

average mpg (though it's getting the wrong info from the 172 ecu :dapprove:) since reset
DSCF2784.jpg

average speed (since reset)
DSCF2785.jpg

distance covered since reset (in addition to the mechanical trip)
DSCF2786.jpg

it will also show the amount of fuel remaining, but i've not wired it in yet :eek:
DSCF2788.jpg

and it will give it own low fuel warning!

once it has the amount of fuel left, it will give a tank range
DSCF2789.jpg

twist the needle to reset the trip comp (excuse the flash making my interior look gash!)
DSCF2790.jpg

press the button on the end of the wiper stalk to run through the screens! finally it has a use! :D
DSCF2791.jpg

So it's still kind of a work in progress, with no fuel remaining info and incorrect mpg info, but they'll be sorted out soon! :)

It looks like you can see the 'meant to be unlit' segments of the display, but that's just a combination of a slowish shutter speed and the backlight... in reality you only see the bits you're meant to - you can see this in the later photos :)

It also looks like a bit of the bottom has been cut off, but this is just due to the low angle I took the pictures from and the fact the screen is set quite deep into the dash (like the temp display is). From the drivers perspective it's all visible :)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Thought i'd give a little update for LMG... nothing too major really. I've just been driving it really for the last 6 months :D. only notable thing to break was the old 16v alternator, but ive managed to fit the 110A 172 one now so all is rosy :)

I've got a lot of ideas in the pipeline, just need some funds. fair few things are only half finished atm, so i'll save those for a proper update ;) - A few of you may have heard me talking about a map LOL! :D

anyways, heres what i've done the last coupladays:

The F4R inlet manifold is know to be a bit restrictive and inlet matching is a popular mod with proven results. As I don't have a few hundred to chuck at them, I stole my brothers dremel and got creative! :D :lol:

After doing a bit of research and speaking to Dan from GDI, I found out that the inlet manifold to head gasket was approximately the same size as the inlet port on the cylinder head. The inlet manifold is quite a bit smaller, so you can use the gasket as a template for the work that needs to be done.

check out the size difference:
DSCF3207.jpg

this is the same on every port, but some ports have an odd 'cut' in them, presumably from the casting

DSCF3208.jpg

so, out came the marker and I was left with this:
DSCF3211.jpg

DSCF3215.jpg

I then started to grind away...

DSCF3216.jpg

DSCF3216.jpg

apparently you should taper the change over the course of about an inch and a half

DSCF3218.jpg

one done!

DSCF3220.jpg

DSCF3223.jpg

then it was a matter of repeating for the other 3 to end up with this:

DSCF3237.jpg

DSCF3240.jpg

much better :D

DSCF3241.jpg

I could've then smoothed it out a bit and polished it etc etc, but apparently as it is *after* the injectors, its best to have it kinda rough, so the fuel atomises.. or something :? lol

I've put it back on the car for now, but it will be coming off again so I can match the inlet to the plenum, as that sees good gains too :)