ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My valver/172 project

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Yes, another one doing the conversion...

I've had these up on another board for a while, but just noticed this shiney new project section, so thought i'd add mine :)

I own a ph1 449 16v:

DSC_4931.jpg

LMGRingSmallborder.jpg

188117645-M.jpg

188142882-M.jpg

The head gasket has been on it's way out for ages now (as I'm sure Clarkie can point out - he wasn't very impressed that every time I went to Carlton Garage the coolant expansion tank was bone dry :D)

I bought a ph1 172 engine off of Joshydee and sent it to Dan for some rebuilding...

so, got to work on the old engine:

DSCF0821.jpg

Oil cooler is buried in there somewhere (didn't realise I had one) and the 'interesting' wiring on the alternator :eek:
DSCF0826.jpg

engine loom/connectors
DSCF0828.jpg

Last edited:
  '92 172, Lotus Elise
16v lump removed:

DSCF0848.jpg

DSCF0849.jpg

DSCF0850.jpg

DSCF0851.jpg

removed this at night, with rain coming in sideways, as I only had the crane for a short while..

note: always remember to undo the gear linkage from the box! :eek: wrapped it round the steering rack :(

'92 172, Lotus Elise
DSCF0871.jpg

did some 'derusting' on the front cross member and on the engine bay whilst it was empty..

DSCF0882.jpg

DSCF0883.jpg

DSCF0884.jpg

DSCF0887.jpg

did some 'freshening up'

DSCF0879.jpg

DSCF0885.jpg

I've got plenty more pics of stuff being painted, but you get the idea ;)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
I wanted to keep running PAS as I quite like it and I'm a girl at parking :D

Normally, the 172 manifold runs under the subframe on the 16v, but on the 172 it runs over it (between the subby and the bulkhead)

basically, the PAS pipes are in the way, so have to come off or be relocated...

DSCF0870.jpg

think this (arrowed) might be the cause of my heavy steering:

DSCF0889.jpg

Dan sent me these pics of the clearance on his conversion...

Dan said:
Pics as requested.
SP_A0039.gif

SP_A0038.gif

not much room at all underneath!

so I got the steering rack adjusted (S.P.A. welding, Lancing, Brighton)

DSCF0965.jpg

DSCF0966.jpg

DSCF0967.jpg

Instead of the connection coming straight up and then having the hydraulic line go up a bit more, which would hit the 172 exhaust, I had the connection lopped off and welded on to a 90deg elbow joint, so a very similar height (although a bit chunkier) but now the hydaulic line can run freely! :D

Painted:
DSCF0968.jpg

DSCF0971.jpg

DSCF0997.jpg

hopefully that will clear the exhaust!

the pipe flarer and bender have been ordered too, so ill make up the remaining pipes to suit :D

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Took the head off the 16v lump...

DSCF0922.jpg

DSCF0923.jpg

can see that the head gasket had basically just perished... (it had been 'going' for about a year! :D)

My genius method of lifting an engine into MKRs boot on my own! :D
DSCF0924.jpg

DSCF0921.jpg

yes yes, I know all of you could lift an engine 1 handed, but I can't :p

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Brilliant to see, we'll have to start our own club soon!
You know where we are if you need anything

'92 172, Lotus Elise
stuff gradually going back on:

2 Bolts securing the inner bushes on the ARB
DSCF0939.jpg

DSCF0940.jpg

Subframe in place
DSCF0941.jpg

Pivot the ARB down (disconnected from the wishbones) in order to easily insert the rear subframe bolt
DSCF0942.jpg

Front Subframe bolts
DSCF0943.jpg

DSCF0944.jpg

Wishbone bolts (18mm)
DSCF0945.jpg

Subframe to Chassis leg support in place
DSCF0946.jpg

Bracket for the ball joint and ARB (Williams specific)
DSCF0947.jpg

2 bolts (18mm) Securing the strut to the hub
DSCF0948.jpg

2 Bolts securing the caliper carrier to the hub (looking down)
DSCF0949.jpg

Almost completed assembly (track rod ends not connected)
DSCF0950.jpg

my dust cover for the other shock has torn, so that's stopping me put the other wheel on :( - will hopefully have that sorted soon...

'92 172, Lotus Elise
the freshening up of components and altering of the steering rack is pretty much all done now

I'm really just waiting for the engine, so the ball is in Dans court :)eek:)

Dan said:
Now, Matt has kindly given me the task of rebuilding the F4R 730 engine he purchased and had it delivered to mine.

It arrived on a broken pallet, with various bits missing or broken. So after a rather long phone conversation discussing the options. He did not realise that the engine was water damaged hence removal, I knew, but thought The seller would have disclosed such information.

I set about stripping it.

End caps from the cams off:
SP_A0019.gif

Oh dear. This kind of set the tone for what else was to be found.

Sump off, and well, it looks like the engine had been driven into the sea. dust/grit found in the sump had me worrying greatly for the welfare of the bearings, or more importantly the crank.
DSCF0094.gif

Looks like a bit of a snail shell in the oil pump? ive not fished it out yet for a look to see what it is. but you can also see bits in the sump.
DSCF0093.gif

All the big ends off:
DSCF0096.gif

Suprisingly good condition. there is only one thats causing me concern, and thats number 2. You can see in this picture the slight dicolouration on the journel, ive yet to clean it up

A close up of No.1.
DSCF0097.gif

DSCF0098.gif

All the big ends out and on the bench, along with oil pump and cams and cam cover:
DSCF0099.gif

A close up of the worrying cylinder(2) bearing:
DSCF0100.gif

At this point I had another phone conversation with Matt, to get the go ahead for the head to come off to remove the pistons to check the con-rods. At this point the con-rods appear to be good and true. Time will tell.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Last I heard, he was waiting on the big end bearings :(

Engine should be good though, with all new belts/pumps/gasket/seals etc.. :D

Now that I get to keep my power steering, the PAS res was bothering me, as they always look old and dirty. Sprayed it up in a can of yellow spray paint I had laying around. Flash makes it look awful, but the photos without show it much better! :)

DSCF0973.jpg

DSCF0974.jpg

DSCF0984.jpg

DSCF0985.jpg

Gonna do the driveshafts like this I think - excuse the run, i caught it afterwards...
DSCF0975.jpg

More bracketry and the PAS pump...
DSCF0976.jpg

DSCF0992.jpg

more yellow pipework 8)
DSCF0977.jpg

Polished magnex! :D
DSCF0978.jpg

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Brilliant to see, we'll have to start our own club soon!
You know where we are if you need anything

:D

we'll have to arrange some meets or something :cool:

sorry about all the pictures! didn't realise, but they all add up when u cut all the conversation out :D

172 Race Car
Nice Matt, done agood job there so far. look forward to seeing this at the airfield.
Shame about the engine, hope it turns out ok

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Engine should be good :) just delayed!

was also shocked at 172 prices, would've thought they'd be no more expensive than F7P stuff, given production volume..

www.renparts.co.uk
im sorry about the engine, im assuming the water got up the exhaust manifold. I ran the engine for approx 80 miles which is when it started making the rattling. With regards to the comments RE the pallet and broken parts can i stress i gave a full refund on the damaged items and i don't know what the shipping company did to break the pallet, sounds like them tipped it on its side or something. Anyway i hope the project goes well and there are no hard feelings.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
oh yeh, sorry - no hard feelings at all - i skipped past all of those details as we sorted them out :)

it was just in Dans posts [quoted items] that i literally just copy and pasted which still had a mention of them... You've been spot on throughout mate :D

I knew the engine was 'broken' as I saw the vids... i just didnt know how it had been broken. the plan was to rebuild it all along :)

Williams 1 (no.69)
Awesome car even without the conversion.
IIRC one of the earliest Mk1's with white willy wheels too! (first one that i saw)

Saw this about a year ago at pod when the f7p was alive - thought it was a lovely car then...Then went onto full williams widetrack :cool: which is definitely the first thing i would do (as opposed to the F7R conversion)......and now the F4Rconversion (with a few delicate additions ;)) definitely makes this my fave mk1 project.

Grrrr makes me want to buy a mk1 again :eek:

PS: Can i request a passenger ride in it at the upcoming airfield day? :rasp:

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Made up the remaining hydraulic lines on the rack tonight...

looks messy, but I'm reasonably happy with the result, considering it was my first ever attempt! :D

1st pipe:
DSCF1017.jpg

2nd pipe:
DSCF1018.jpg

Different angles:
DSCF1019.jpg

DSCF1020.jpg

DSCF1021.jpg

Broke one of the connectors :( (which is why the middle pipe is a bit longer and not seemingly connected :D
DSCF1023.jpg

DSCF1024.jpg

i'll tidy it up to that it all sits more flush with the rack when I put the rack on the car, for now im not sure of the clearance I need for the steering rack mounts...

'92 172, Lotus Elise
installed: (flash makes everything look rubbish :()

DSCF1025.jpg

the middle connection now comes out straight at the gearbox/dogbone mount :roll: so I'll have to make that a very tight bend :shock:

BMW E46 330i Touring
Awesome dude, didn't realise you were doing this!

Sounds like there'll be a few Mk1 172 conv's in the SW before too long...

'92 172, Lotus Elise
got myself a nice diesel gearbox thanks to harvythehippo! :D

at hillpower:
2008_0202hillpower0061.jpg

Cleaning up:
DSCF1093.jpg

DSCF1094.jpg

DSCF1095.jpg

DSCF1096.jpg

The inner bolts look suspiciously new/clean!
DSCF1098.jpg

Painted!
DSCF1107.jpg

DSCF1108.jpg

DSCF1109.jpg

DSCF1110.jpg

grubby hands on the driveshaft
DSCF1111.jpg

'92 172, Lotus Elise

I bought an ECU today mate - it has the same codes on as yours does (from your text) - hopefully the ecu bloke can work his magic on it like he did for yours! :D

All I need now is a ph1 throttle body + airbox, fuel rail (with FPR) - though im using a valver one for now, exhaust made up, engine loom and a connector for one of my PAS pipes. oh.. and some form of pipework for this lump too :/

soo much :(

atleast I managed to get my softclutch bits!

release fork (with old 16v one)
DSCF1112.jpg

Old pivot bush (white):
DSCF1113.jpg

New pivot bush
DSCF1114.jpg

does it sit higher?
DSCF1115.jpg

Extension bracket:
DSCF1120.jpg

Hopefully I can get the conversion to work! :D I know others were having issues...

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Got my engine (Lets keep comments about Dan out of here! :D)

after 11 hours and 500 miles, my trophy:
DSCF1229.jpg

The lump
DSCF1230.jpg

DSCF1231.jpg

New cambelt
DSCF1232.jpg

New headgasket
DSCF1233.jpg

New water pump:
DSCF1234.jpg

Royal mail came whilst I was lifting it out, with my new heater matrix too! :)
DSCF1235.jpg

Engine in:
DSCF1236.jpg

F4R's look so ugly :(

Sitting high
DSCF1237.jpg

this is just a test install, i'll remove it tomorrow and clean/paint it etc :)

172 Race Car
Awsome work dude, getting there. Looking much more likely to finish in time for Smeatharpe, now the hole under the bonnet is filled