ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My take on New York ...

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Still going through them all but here are some I've edited :)

33993065796_6175014936.jpg
Grand Central by Simon Nicholls, on Flickr

34034040255_4cb171e535.jpg
Empire State Building by Simon Nicholls, on Flickr

34034039475_e83df8c810.jpg
I love NY! by Simon Nicholls, on Flickr

33993064836_263f3ae636.jpg
New York Skyline by Simon Nicholls, on Flickr

33993064626_03ff352e73.jpg
Statue of Liberty by Simon Nicholls, on Flickr

34034041575_81a685037d.jpg
Peace .. by Simon Nicholls, on Flickr

33125665973_b00a5623ec.jpg
New York Skyline from the Empire State by Simon Nicholls, on Flickr

33474014770_131f67d17c.jpg
A rose for her birthday by Simon Nicholls, on Flickr

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Good set there.
Can't wait to get back (probably be 8 years or so when the little one will walk for long enough)

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Great pictures!

How would I go about getting the effect with the blurred background like you have done with the peace and love signs? I am trying to expand on my knowledge a bit, really trying to push my photography at present.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Is that just with a 50mm lense? I'm trying to get to grips with my dslr at the mo still. Just bought a 50mm for it but it's hard to get the distance on it, you have to be miles away with it compared to the kit lense

Great pictures!

How would I go about getting the effect with the blurred background like you have done with the peace and love signs? I am trying to expand on my knowledge a bit, really trying to push my photography at present.

That's 'Bokeh' if I understand the term correctly :smiley:

If you shoot with the lens aperture wide open (so a low F number - either f1.2, f1.4 or f1.8 if it's one of the Canon 50mm lenses, depending on which one you have) you get less depth of field - i.e. the depth of field (i.e. the depth of the area of focus) is shallower, so objects will be in focus while the background isn't - like the picture above :smile:

If you shot the same picture with a high F number (say F8 to F11) the depth of field (area of focus) is deeper and you will have both the subject and the background in focus. (Although it's likely that you'll still have some bokeh in this instance because of how far away the background is.)

Best thing to do to learn how it works is either buy a tripod and set the camera up on it (or put it on something solid) then put something in the middle of the frame you can focus easily on. Then take pictures at all the F-stop numbers from low to high - when you cycle through them, you will see how more and more becomes in focus :smile:

As a side note, you will get a more shallow depth of field (DoF) when shooting with a low F-number (wide aperture) as the length of the lens increases. So an 8mm super-wide-angle lens will have a very deep DoF at F3.5 (as in pretty much everything is in focus regardless of how far it is from the lens) but a 200mm lens is likely to have a depth of field that you can measure in inches or even less.

I recall someone shooting African wild cats (or similar) on here with something like a 300mm lens on a 2x convertor (giving a 600mm lens equivalent) - IIRC the depth of field was so shallow that while the eye was in focus, the eyebrows weren't!

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Is that just with a 50mm lense? I'm trying to get to grips with my dslr at the mo still. Just bought a 50mm for it but it's hard to get the distance on it, you have to be miles away with it compared to the kit lense

I used my 70-200 F/4 L for those shots - didn't take the 50 with me!