ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Renault Clio 172 Phase 1

ITB 428 Ph1
Yes that is still good power, I was very tempted to buy a Subaru WRX today. It was so clean, 52 plate that had covered 66k for £4k, full service history, completely standard, guy wanted a quick sale before he goes back to Angola. I couldn't afford two cars and I will never sell my Clio as I've poured my heart and soul into it, it's like apart of me now

ITB 428 Ph1
Update

As you may know on the 25th of this month I will be dropping my car off at TDF to have there ITB package installed. I decided to go with the longer trumpets therefore my air con would need to be removed and a slim line radiator fitted. Matt told me the Clio Cup air con delete kit is the better option as it sits a little lower on the engine and will not foul anything. A new Clio Cup air con delete kit is around £400, however I told Matt I would get a second hand one. The kit consists of 2 x brackets ( 1 small and 1 big), 1 x alternator, 1 x belt and all the fixings. After searching high and low I came across I guy on Ebay breaking a 48k Clio Cup. For £100 I got the entire air con delete kit with the power steering line. Here is how it arrived

OldAircon.jpg

There was no way in hell these were going to be installed like this with my new ITB's, so I took the alternator to an auto electrical outlet for a refurb and the brackets and bolts to be shot blastered. Matt told me I would need a new alternator belt so I bought one from K-tec for around £20 delivered. The cost of the alternator refurb including new bearings and testing was £66 and the shot blasting was £25. Here they are now, like new

NewAirCon.jpg

Money well spent at a fraction of the price.

I took the parts to be shot blastered to a professional wheel refurber called aero coat. These took my fancy and gave me an idea for when I refurb mine.

NewWheelColour.jpg

I have been looking for new tyres and finally 2 x new toyo t1r 195/45/15 came up for sale for £75, I snapped them up. I obviously need another 2 but i can wait. I prefer to have the skinnier profile as I dont like the chunkier tyre.

ToyoT1R.jpg

These number plates arrived from fancyplates but im not going to use them as they have a id tag in the bottom right hand corner, i have ordered another set.

PlatesIncorrect.jpg

If you have read my thread, you will know I had a knocking noise comming from my exhaust hitting my sub frame. I purchased a Prima Racing rear exhaust mount.

NewPrima.jpg

How it used to sit with the standard hanger, not very sealthy

RenaultOldHanging.jpg

Underneath

Underneatholdhanger.jpg

Old and new

Oldandnewhangers.jpg

Renault told me they replaced this exhaust mount, however the bolts undid like they had never been changed before let alone recently and the hanger looks worn.

New one fitted, I jacked the car up on that side and put an axle stand underneath, then I undid the three bolts and swapped them over.

UnderneathNew.jpg

This was the best I could get it to sit on the hanger, it sits in the fitting strong and sturdy but its at a very slight angle. Can anyone see this being problem ?

Notflush.jpg

And finally how it sits now, much better

NewExhaustHanging.jpg

The best bit is that it doesent knock no more either, result

I am pretty much preped and ready to go to TDF on the 25th, I just need another Cup 172 power steering line as I Fcked the other one up with a spray can. Its really scruffy so i will need to get another one. I have been told you can adapt the standard one but I would rather do it with the proper Cup line. RolandRat is sorting me a power steering line but my god he is hard to get in contact with lol.

Clio 172
Correy just read your thread from start to finish and I have to say impressive stuff. After you fit the ITB's what are you doing with the inlets and cams? (I may be interested). I wish you all the best with the new setup and the car looks great. I'll be following your thread with interest.

ITB 428 Ph1
Cheers buddy, the standard cams are wrapped up in my shed but the 428's will obviously be staying in the engine. I will be selling my JMS matched inlets along with the ITG cylinder filter and air box. Stevo had said he wanted the inlets but I've just noticed he's bought a Trophy and selling his phase1 so I guess he will no longer want them.

ITB 428 Ph1
Little update

I decided to give the interior a complete valet over the last couple of days using some new products and my girlfriends trusty hoover.

To begin with I used Poorboys natural look cleaner for all the platics and dashboard inside the car.
Followed by a good vaccum.
Followed by AutoGlym Leather cleaner and reconditioned witth Autoglym Leather Care on all the half leather
Followed by AutoGlym interior shampoo on all the alcantra and whiped down with a damp cloth.

I can honestly say it took a couple of days to do but the interior of my car has never looked so fresh and rich. Very pleased with the outcome,

photo24-1.jpg

photo22-1.jpg

photo23-1.jpg

Also my new plates turned up today so I will whip them on perhaps tomorrow when i wash the outside.

ITB 428 Ph1
Cheers buddy, are you going to the meet up at the herritage motor centre ? Hopefully mine will be ready by then.

ITB 428 Ph1
I think its ClioSport Saturday on the 4th of August ?

Yes I know the exhaust mount was expensive for what it is, i did look at the other options but decided to go for that one. I know the others would have done exactly the same job but the Prima racing come very highly recommended. I dont even think Renault replaced the rear exhaust mount when i asked them too, the bolts where real stiff and rusty. I had to use a socket set with a long extension arm to finally get the three bolts to release.

I snapped one trying to remove them on my old phase 1, thankfully they came off much easier on my phase 2.

You could have a word with Renault, if the work is on an invoice and they've charged for it they might give you something back?

ITB 428 Ph1
yes I keep every single invoice for me car, i will take it back and see what they say, its worth a punt. Just had a quick look at the interior again and I am so pleased, looks awesome. Just need to wash the outside tomorrow and its ready for it trip to TDF for the ITB's on the 25th woop woop

ITB 428 Ph1
ah ok kool, well if you do can i meet up with you and who ever you roll up there with as I am all alone in Lowestoft lol

ALLLLLLL BYYYYYYYYY MYYYYYYSEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLFFFF, DONT WANT TO BE

Trafic 140dci
ah ok kool, well if you do can i meet up with you and who ever you roll up there with as I am all alone in Lowestoft lol

ALLLLLLL BYYYYYYYYY MYYYYYYSEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLFFFF, DONT WANT TO BE

Yeah that's fine we'll probably arrange something in the East of England section on the forum for then :)

ITB 428 Ph1
Little update

If you have had the amount of rain over the last five days that I have, you would know how difficult it is to try and wash the car inbetween. However today was alot brighter and sunnier so I knew I had to wash the car and fit the standard UK plate to the front of my car as I no longer liked the smaller one I had fitted previously. I velcro'd on the number plates so its is as simple as pulling the old one off and sticking the new one on without that hideous sticky mess underneath.

Before

photo25-1.jpg

After

photo27-1.jpg

and washed untill it rains again later lol

photo26-1.jpg

Im just waiting on my second 172 cup power steering line to arrive and Im all set.

ITB 428 Ph1
Update

I dropped the car off at TDF this morning ready for the ITB install. As always it was a very warm welcome and it was nice to have a chat with Matt and the TDF team. TDF really do treat you as a valued customer which is fantastic. I also met Jay Payne (Burpspeed) which was nice to put a face to a name. I discussed with Matt the options available and the install I wanted. I decided to go with the option that would potentially give me the biggest gain. The spec we decided on is:

Longer trumpets with ITG sausage filter and backing plate
Slim line radiator
Bonnet pins and removal of slam panel
AC cup delete kit

The car is also going to have an MOT while its up there by the guys that TDF use as its just expired.

Work began immediately and I was able to take my JMS matched inlets, ITG cylinder filter and airbox home to sell on and try and make a little money back. After a coffee Matt very kindly took me to the train station where I began my long journey home. I will be returning on the 3rd May to collect the car and I am very excited.

ITB 428 Ph1
Yes I have buddy, for fast road they are perfect. I changed from K-tec coilovers as they sat to nose heavy, the V maxx sit lower at the rear (60mm) so they car looks more even.

BG 182
Yeah the setup on yours looks spot on. I've got some on order so just wanted some feedback from someone who's already got them.

Thanks mate

Trafic 140dci
Good stuff mate, TDF is like car p**n some of the cars they usually have in the car park/garage! What rad you going for? Polo rad or pro alloy one?

ITB 428 Ph1
If im going to be honest Lewis i dont know lol, I dont think it was very expensive, perhaps around £50 - 60 I think. It was a cold, windy, miserable day when I arrived. All the cars were tucked up inside. I literally drove towards the garage, they heared me coming and opened up the roller gate for me to drive straight into the work shop thank god.

Also Lewis, I noticed uve just bought an alloy bonnet the same as im running, Matt said bonnet pins are the better option for the alloy bonnet. This is because it is a very difficult to cut and may cause damage as it is very fragile. The pins to install are literally a hole using a drill bit. The steel bonnets are no problem with aero catches as they are strong. I think the pins were only like £60 installed.

Trafic 140dci
If im going to be honest Lewis i dont know lol, I dont think it was very expensive, perhaps around £50 - 60 I think. It was a cold, windy, miserable day when I arrived. All the cars were tucked up inside. I literally drove towards the garage, they heared me coming and opened up the roller gate for me to drive straight into the work shop thank god.

Also Lewis, I noticed uve just bought an alloy bonnet the same as im running, Matt said bonnet pins are the better option for the alloy bonnet. This is because it is a very difficult to cut and may cause damage as it is very fragile. The pins to install are literally a hole using a drill bit. The steel bonnets are no problem with aero catches as they are strong. I think the pins were only like £60 installed.

Will be a polo rad at that price :)

Hmm, i agree and disagree with that, it is more fragile, it will only dent easier though! But is very easy to cut compared to steel. I'll still be running Aerocatch's, i'm pretty sure standard bonnet pins are illegal, but don't hold me to that!

ITB 428 Ph1
Are the polo rads any good ? dp you know whats better about the other one ? I hope the pins are legal lol

ITB 428 Ph1
cheers Wocka, i cant wait to see what its like, as some one said to me, theres bargains to be had out there , keep an eye out

Trafic 140dci
Are the polo rads any good ? dp you know whats better about the other one ? I hope the pins are legal lol

Very good for track cars, although if your in town in the middle of summer in stop start traffic it may over heat (would pay to have a decent fan; Pacet, Kenlowe, Spal etc) The other one is 3-400 quid not cheap lol polo rad's are good enough :) I don't know, but someone said on dmallett's flame red ph1 172 thread that they are illegal...

secret
cheers Wocka, i cant wait to see what its like, as some one said to me, theres bargains to be had out there , keep an eye out

yeah i know, just gota keep waiting but being a daily now as pulsar will be the new toy it may be a waste of £££

SQ5
I've been running a small polo one in mine and temps stay about 89 and I'd imagine mine runs warmer as such.

Trafic 140dci
Lewis your beginning to make me worry lol, I will be watching the engine temp like a hawk

Don't be daft! If you have a good fan (I'm sure Matt would use one anyway) you'll be fine, It's just stop start traffic you need to keep an eye on, once your on the move or track days the fan won't even come on!!

ITB 428 Ph1
Wocka : Ive heared good things about Pulsar's, one of my friends owned one and it was rapid.

DannyR: Thats encouraging, im sure it will be up to the job

Lewis: Im only messing, as Danny and yourself have said it should be fine, I use my push bike more than my car. I only really take it out at night or if im going up the golden mile in Yarmouth lol. Once Ive had the work completed, I really need to start enjoying it.

As lewis said, those cheap bonnet pins arent road legal so I was informed, and found it on google.
Aero catches are as you cant impale/stab people with them when running them over.