ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Renault Clio 172 Phase 1

ITB 428 Ph1
That's kool mate, I love the white phase 1, will be interesting to see your plans for the cup, good luck with it buddy

ITB 428 Ph1
Yeah it responded well to the mods and map, even Matt was impressed. Just need to maintain it and keep it healthy.

ITB 428 Ph1
Update

As i have mentioned before I had a little bobbling noise coming from the rear off my car after having my v maxx coileys and geometry fitted and done. Therefore I had a little time to get over to SCA ralley who installed them and set them up just to have a look and see if there was an issue. They put the car on the ramps had a look and took it for a drive and they didnt spot anything that could be causing a problem. I am very fussy so its probably something of nothing but I think its important to get things like this checked. I also had my new 20mm H&R spacers to fit to the front of the car so i let these guys just whip them on and supply the longer wheel bolts just so it was not a wasted trip. It looks alot better than before and I deffo glad I didnt go no more than 20mm. Check out the pictures below.

photo20.jpg

photo22.jpg

photo23.jpg

photo21.jpg

As you can see I have been driving round without a front number plate as I hated the old one so much I took it off before my new smaller ones from fancyplates had arrived. Unfortunately I got caught today just when I was nearly home. There was a cop car one car ahead of me so he couldnt see, however that car then pulled off and left me exposed. I quickly took the next turning off hoping to give them the slip, however the copper drove up the next road and blocked me at the top so I had no escape, to be honest it wasnt hard to track my car as it is not exaclty the quietest, he just told me it was missing and too get it sorted which is fair enough. My plates have arrived now but I am just waiting on my sicky valcro pads to turn up so I can stick them on.

I am thinking of getting my braided lines fitted and a gear box oil change i think is due. Then chill out for Christmas as we all know its an expensive time and I dont want to be left penny less lol

ITB 428 Ph1
No sorry I havent buddy, I ended up going with longer bolts to go directly threw the wheel and spacer and into the hub, where as I believe another option is to bolt the spacer to the hub and then the wheel to the spacer so the spacer can remain on when the wheels off if that makes sense. I am very pleased with how it is set up and the way it looks. Please ignore those hideous tyres but I am looking to get a set of Toyo T1Rs 195/45/15 but after christmas sometime.

ITB 428 Ph1
little update

As you may know I had a little bit of yellowing on the top of my headlights. I attempted to have a go with the procedure on here. After getting the bits I needed from Halfords I gave it a quick go one night, however i was not impressed with the finish so I had a chance today to give it another go and I am now very pleased with how it turned out.

Before
photo24.jpg

During
photo25.jpg

After
photo26.jpg

It is really windy here and freezing cold so I have only done one headlight. If the weather improves then I will get onto doing the other one. You do have to put a bit of time and effort into this if you want the end product to be spot on, but the results speak for them self.

I rang Renault today as I fancied replacing the gear box oil, however they said they only recommened changing it if there is a problem so I decided not to. Might get my braided lines on this weekend if I get a chance too.

Just caught up with this, great results on the power, I bet it flies.

Harpham and I tried to do my headlights yesterday but the weather made things difficult, hopefully give them another going over in the Spring.

ITB 428 Ph1
It's deffo worth doing, but my hand begun to turn blue and I lost feeling so I thought I better wait until tomorrow lol. Yes I am delighted with the power it made. I really want the TDF ITB's but unless Santa is feeling generous this year it's going to be a while before even consider getting them lol

ITB 428 Ph1
Yes I did mate, obviously 600,800,1200 wet and dry, buff with meguires using drill and buffer from halfords, auto glym wiper on and off with a cloth. It said to use house polish after that but I decided against it as its not designed for headlights specifically, I'm sure it would do no harm if you were to use it otherwise someone would have said

225 Cup & Williams
Tempted to get those spacers for my ph1. Is there any difference in handling with them fitted better or worse?

ITB 428 Ph1
If I'm going to be honest, I don't drive the car harder enough to notice a difference, technically making something wider should handle better. I really just wanted the front wheels as far out as the rear because I thought it looked a little odd with the fronts tucked in so far under the arches. One thing I have noticed is that it makes me 15" look massive

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Handling definitely changes, at first it feels a little odd but then you notice it's actually better and far more solid in the corners.

Nice car too :)

225 Cup & Williams
Handling definitely changes, at first it feels a little odd but then you notice it's actually better and far more solid in the corners.

Nice car too :)

Did you have to get your tracking & alignment set up again Rob? I really fancy these H&R ones. Do you know where to buy them from?

ITB 428 Ph1
I didn't, it does put something slightly out and your tyres may not wear perfectly but I am led to believe this is something you should expect if you want a wider wheel base

ITB 428 Ph1
I was really lucky, I got them new and posted for £60 from a lad called Josh on here. I posted a thread mentioning I was considering getting some and he offered me his in a PM so it was to much of a good opportunity to miss. I think there around £100 new on euro performance, I think there alot of money for what they are. You will obviously need longer wheel bolts as well if you get the same as mine, some you don't need to because the spacer bolts to hub and the wheel to the spacer. Wheel bolts are only £2-3 each I think, I'm not sure how long the ones I've got are because they were supplied and fitted before I had a chance to ask

ITB 428 Ph1
Cheerz buddy, I'm looking to get more involved with south east meets so hopefully will bump into you soon

225 Cup & Williams
I was really lucky, I got them new and posted for £60 from a lad called Josh on here. I posted a thread mentioning I was considering getting some and he offered me his in a PM so it was to much of a good opportunity to miss. I think there around £100 new on euro performance, I think there alot of money for what they are. You will obviously need longer wheel bolts as well if you get the same as mine, some you don't need to because the spacer bolts to hub and the wheel to the spacer. Wheel bolts are only £2-3 each I think, I'm not sure how long the ones I've got are because they were supplied and fitted before I had a chance to ask

You got lucky there then mate. I just need to find out where to buy these as I'm really tempted to get them tbh.

ITB 428 Ph1
it was absolutely freezing cold today and very windy, but I soldiered on and re vamped the other headlight so they are both nice and shiny. I am really peed off at the moment, firstly because stancewhore has ripped me and others off by failing to send the lights I paid for and secondly, I ordered some sticky velcro circles for my new number plates to go on and they should be been here ages ago. I know its not the end of the world but people are quick to take your money but when it comes to sending them, its a different story, glad ive got my moaning out of the way.

photo28.jpg

photo27.jpg

There was still a tiny little mark on the headlight i done today, but no matter how much I rubbed and buffed I couldnt get it to shift. However these both look great IMO and I am very pleased with final outcome.

I have ran out of autoglym body shampoo and I am going to try the dodojuice everyone seems to use. The autoglym is very good but I just fancy a change. Could anyone recommend a brake fluid for fast road ? I was thinking along the lines of Castrol Dot 4 Response as it is quite popular. Hopefully going to get the brake lines fitted sometime next week so going to replace all the brake fluid.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Such a great improvement doing the headlights! I need to do mine again soon! And as for brake fluid. I use HEL braided lines and AP racing 5.1 fluid i think it is.

Hi Correy, just read through your project from the start and looks great! I saw your car at Matt's back in November when I was there checking progress on my clio, It certainly looked like a well looked after example and the results from the mod's are great :) On the brake fluid I normally use RBF660 http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1078-motul-rbf-660-factory-line-race-brake-fluid.aspx It's also what Matt is putting in my clio when the brakes have been fitted! Future plans sound great also, enjoy :)

Trafic 140dci
your lights look superb now, did you use the guide off here? as i need to do mine so might have a go with that.

as for brake fluid i use Racing Super Blue (something like that) GSF sell it, very highly rated, no prob's yet, but haven't been on a track since i've added it

ITB 428 Ph1
Hi Correy, just read through your project from the start and looks great! I saw your car at Matt's back in November when I was there checking progress on my clio, It certainly looked like a well looked after example and the results from the mod's are great :) On the brake fluid I normally use RBF660 http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1078-motul-rbf-660-factory-line-race-brake-fluid.aspx It's also what Matt is putting in my clio when the brakes have been fitted! Future plans sound great also, enjoy :)

thanx buddy for the kind comments, looking at your picture, im guessing yours was the 182 track car they are currently building. I had a really good look round yours when Matt was mapping mine. It looks like a brand new car, its so clean and the engine bay looks sweet. Seeing yours has deffo inspired me to get there ITB set up. I will take a look at the brake fluid you have recommended, thanx again.

Thanx Lewis, yes I did mate, I thought it worked really well. Thanx for the recommendation, I have quite a few now. I will check them all out and make a decision in a couple of days or so. Its supposed to be gail force winds tomorrow so im glad I got the other one finished today lol