ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My R5 won't start....

133/225/CLS AMG
I know its not a Clio but there's plenty of mechanical types on here who mights know!! :D

Had a bit of a weird issue with the 5..........

Drove to pick the missus up from work in it, about 30 minutes drive.

Started fine, drover fine, pulled up outside her office turned it off then went back to the car and sat there with the interior light on for about 10 minutes.

Went to start it, got a click and a wirring noise then nothing. Car didn't even turn over.

Tried and tried, even a jump start although its got a new battery and no change. Then tried the car after standing waiting for the AA for 20 minutes and it started.

Drove home fine, pulled up and turned the ignition off. Tried it again literally a second later and nothing again!!!! :? :? :? :?

Any ideas at all please guys????

133/225/CLS AMG
I've been mentioned that by someone, if that is the case I need to find it!! lol

I'm no mechanic unfortunately. :) :)

S2000
coul be that. Were you getting the whurring noise everytime?

If so it might be possible that the starter motor just wasn't engaging with the teeth on the flywheel. I'm not really up to speed on exactly how the starter motor operates etc but that would be my guess from what you said.

Try asking over on retro-renault.co.uk - should get a good answer over there.

182 + 5 GT Turbo
Complete shot in the dark but......Starter motor sticking?

Ive got a GTT and she does that from time to time. totally random, turn the key and you just hear a 'click'. I think it'll be the starter too. Apparently the connections go rusty and cause this. When you get a chance, wire wool the connections, put it back together and you should be ok. (dont forget to disconnect the battery ;) )

133/225/CLS AMG
Cheers for the tips guys. Its not a GTT its just 1.4 Campus.

Its strange, but now its working I've noticed a noise that had stopped happening when I turned it off and it stopped working.

Normally when I turn off the ignition I get a click/whirr a split second after the ignition is turned off. That didn't happen the two times i turned it off and then it wouldn't start.

Does the starter motor kinda reset itself after the engine is turned off???

clio rsi!
the starter doesnt reset, it has a solenoid on it (a plunger to non mechanical people!!) that when a voltage is applied to it, it engages the starter to the ring gear and cranks the engine over, once the engine is turning over on its own the voltage is removed as starter is no longer required. its most likely the brushes in the motor are either low or nakered and are sticking (same goes with the solenoid if its nakered it may be sticking).