ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My mk1 Clio valver project

X2 Clio Valvers
Today these have arrived :)
usa9uma4.jpg

7upa2e9u.jpg

Just waiting on;
Air line,
Air cutter,
Air saw blade,
Air needle scale,
Impact guns,
Spray gun,
Welder and if course the body panels! :lol:
Been told by the supplier I'll have to wait circa 3 weeks for the front inner wheel arches, gives me enough time to get the others sorted out first and for the other tools to arrive :cool:

X2 Clio Valvers
Today I got some big boxes! :cool:
zy6u3ahy.jpg

avy2abyt.jpg

And inside those boxes
usy7abem.jpg

aqupamas.jpg

9a6e8eme.jpg

aqa7urar.jpg

y9y7uryg.jpg

So yep, that's a pair of sills, a pair of rear quarters and a full front and rear panel. Just need my welder to hurry up and make an appearance lol. While I'm waiting for that I'll probably get these rear quarters to flare as they're only pov spec ones.
Can't wait now, like a big kid lol.

Clio Williams
Today I got some big boxes! :cool:
zy6u3ahy.jpg

avy2abyt.jpg

And inside those boxes
usy7abem.jpg

aqupamas.jpg

9a6e8eme.jpg

aqa7urar.jpg

y9y7uryg.jpg

So yep, that's a pair of sills, a pair of rear quarters and a full front and rear panel. Just need my welder to hurry up and make an appearance lol. While I'm waiting for that I'll probably get these rear quarters to flare as they're only pov spec ones.
Can't wait now, like a big kid lol.

Are they standard Mk1 rear arches. If so you might find it not so easy to fit. I couldn't find wide arches for my Williams and had to modify the rear arches which was a ball ache and that was on the near side . Not sure how easy it would be to fit with petrol filler

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
the shell im having has had new rears put onto it, i can see its had the lip rolled ( standard quarters dont ). so you will either need to role the inner lip or cut it down a little after fitting.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Looking at all that rust makes me feel sick. I'm so glad I reshelled mine. All that work just screams headache to me! lol

X2 Clio Valvers
Are they standard Mk1 rear arches. If so you might find it not so easy to fit. I couldn't find wide arches for my Williams and had to modify the rear arches which was a ball ache and that was on the near side . Not sure how easy it would be to fit with petrol filler

Yeah they're just poverty spec quarters, I've already started modifying them to fit, don't seem to be doing so bad ATM lol.

X2 Clio Valvers
Looking at all that rust makes me feel sick. I'm so glad I reshelled mine. All that work just screams headache to me! lol

Mate, it makes me feel like ringing the scrap man lol, I'm biased but it ain't there yet, people was trying to put me off restoring it saying it would cost thousands, it's cost under a grand with all the tools n s**t included lol. I was going to re shell but wanted it to all be original.... Somewhat haha!

X2 Clio Valvers
So as all reading will have seen, I've now got;
Mig welder
100Litre compressor,
Spray gun
Cut off tools,
Ap sander,
Mini sander,
Shot blasting kit
Impact ratchet thingy lol
All the usual other stuff that's air powered lol.
And today I got the body panels,
Obviously the flared rear quarters used on the valver and williams aren't available to buy anymore (I don't think anyway lol)
So poverty spec it is
Got the rear quarters out of the box
u7yzy4uh.jpg

Used my eye to measure where the flare starts and ends and what not
enybu3az.jpg

Sorry about the crap quality of that pic.
Did a little adjusting in the house :lol:
qyvujygu.jpg

That was just giddiness really ha.
Then took it out to the car,
Clamped it on to the original to see how everything lines up as I've heard people say valver ones are longer than poverty spec ones
typarypu.jpg

And surprisingly everything lines up near enough perfect, all bar an inch or so but that will go once the original is cut out I'm hoping.
Then I used some tape to measure the crown length,
yredu6y4.jpg

I did put some tape on the lower crown too but no photos as my battery died lol.

I kept making adjustments and test fitting, what I aimed for is about an inch or so difference as the original quart is still on lol.
I've managed to stretch the panel a little to get it to "kick out" above the fuel filler, and made a start on getting it to flare, but sadly no pics as battery was flat, so will take loads tomorrow :)

X2 Clio Valvers
Here's what happened yesterday, I was hoping to make a start on the shell but had to tidy the garage out first...
Here's before I sorted everything
ymasanab.jpg

Messy messy garage, bits everywhere, so I started moving stuff
pu8u2evu.jpg

Engine and panels in one corner
mu4emabe.jpg

Rubbers arranged
a3y3ygym.jpg

Sorted through all the stuff, put some in the car and threw quite a bit, I was a bit stupid and wanted to keep a lot of little bits that were probably original to this car as they all had matching dates on. But space was needed so threw them out
epe7abe5.jpg

gysunaty.jpg

Bonnet and front wings are stored in a box box at the bottom of the garden lol
zujyny6a.jpg

Compressor in it's location with the welder also
epuva9u9.jpg

Carpet removed
3yhusu6e.jpg

Through the floor selfie... LOL
8a9a3ese.jpg

More rust was found, again, not all that bad IMO. I've seen worse on newer cars that haven't stood for circa 3 year
pebequte.jpg

u5ypa3em.jpg

epegusa3.jpg

7ygepaja.jpg

And how I left everything,
evemepuv.jpg

I need to go and get some quick release couplings for my air hose as they didn't send me none. So will try get something done later and update :)

Last edited:
  X2 Clio Valvers
Not a lot has happened today, although I've got the drivers side sill off... Partially anyway lol. Was well confused as they're were 2 sill skins (outer sills)
hybaju2u.jpg
peeled that back and it's Naples underneath lol. A very very bodged repair.
Evidence of too fast wire speed LOL
y7a4y7ez.jpg

And it had only 2 spot welds along the bottom!
But it looks like this now
zanepyba.jpg

ehu4upa4.jpg

egyma2u9.jpg

More tomorrow!

X2 Clio Valvers
My battery had dies yesterday so didn't have photos of the sill removed. So here's a pic
5azu6aqu.jpg

I need to do some fabrication for the inner sill and I'm going to order 2 inner wheel arches
a3ehu9yr.jpg

Also ordered a pair of front inner wings too
upupu7u2.jpg
a 3 week wait for them though as the supplier (carz2) had to order them from Klokkerholm.

X2 Clio Valvers
Okay... So today this is what I've done.
a4aveje6.jpg

Started removing what's left of the sill
uby2u4a2.jpg

I did it bit by bit so I didn't cut it too short. Takes a little longer than it probably should but I'd rather not rush having not done anybody work in a year or 2
Removed the rear quarter, again bit by bit
u9ezu6az.jpg

ugyhaza5.jpg

6y3usy4a.jpg

9ypy6ype.jpg

ba6ade6y.jpg

And test fitted the new wing (I know it's not as flared as it should be yet but I'd rather have the shell ready for it to go straight on once it's done
haryquru.jpg

5a9a7u3e.jpg

u2a7ene6.jpg

bebe7age.jpg

qepu6u7y.jpg

Going to do the other side tomorrow, now I've got the "feel for it" back it will (probably lol) take me half the time than what today did

X2 Clio Valvers
Not been able to do much the past few days, however yesterday I did get a bit ore if the rear quarter off
umy4emu7.jpg

3usapyne.jpg

Now when the new panel is offered to the car it matches up perfect! And all those people saying I'd have problems, I didn't have none, other than stumbling across more rain lol.
But today a problem arose :(
zenu4aqy.jpg

We live in a high area so the rain hits us hard, and with how it's came down today it flooded everywhere
edysuja8.jpg

e4uvupu9.jpg

su7ete2y.jpg

uquzaqa7.jpg

I think I noticed just in time to be able to put my welder and other stuff into the boot of the car, but the nozzle of my welder was in water, the welder itself wasn't as it's on wheels so luckily it cleared the water, I don't leave wire in the welder when it's not been used so hopefully it should dry out okay :fingers crossed:
If the weather is decent tomorrow I'll have to resort through the garage and check everything is okay

X2 Clio Valvers
Good progress, like the work you've done on the arches. I'd never have the guts to do that.

Thanks bud. And haha. A few folks have said that. They also said I'd have trouble getting em to fit and I haven't had any problems, I made adjustments before test fitting to see if they'd be any difference, just need to beat it out a little bit more and planish it out :) going to try get a lot done tomorrow if weather allows

X2 Clio Valvers
Been doing a bit of work on the car today, managed to remove the front panel and test fit the new one. Was going to sandblast the engine bay too but I'm going to leave it until I get a sealed gazebo
by2upuqa.jpg

This came in handy for getting rid of the seam sealer in the hard to reach areas
gypy7ara.jpg

y2aba4y9.jpg

Removed the subframe and all attached bits
za3a8ury.jpg

Brake hose nut was dead tight, so had to snip the tw@ lol
ymupapyb.jpg

de8yna3y.jpg

Salvaged an old mop stick to retain some stiffness lol
rudu8y2a.jpg

Always wondered why my scuttle would fill with water haha
u8anyzed.jpg

yna7yqyz.jpg
that's one way to gain access from underneath with a sander lol
ze4uda4y.jpg
a rust patch was found, gauged up
a9y9e3yg.jpg

A bit of the old quarter panel is the same gague :) waste not want not lol
nenegure.jpg

a8e4egar.jpg
marked ready for cutting out (line is shabby, I'll cut it straight and weld it better lol)
a8yrejy3.jpg
removed old front panel (forgot I'd not tacked the bar in place lol!
davade5a.jpg
new front panel offered up to the car ( still need to cut some out for the removable slam panel )
ere8y7ys.jpg
that's it for today I'm afraid. My front inner wings should be here this week, so will be able to progress a bit more then. Also decided I'm buying new tools as some have been "borrowed" fml... Lol

hardy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Mk1 Track Proj
Top work!

I have all this to come very soon once I have stripped it all down to a bare shell.

How come you cut the rear quarters so high up - past the shoulder line of the arch? That is the part that governs the valver wider rear arch.

Josh

X2 Clio Valvers
Top work!

I have all this to come very soon once I have stripped it all down to a bare shell.

How come you cut the rear quarters so high up - past the shoulder line of the arch? That is the part that governs the valver wider rear arch.

Josh

Thanks mate. It's all good fun lol.
And because it had rotted away along the bottom of the windows :( I was just going to patch it up but I'll feel better doing it all lol.

X2 Clio Valvers
Got some more parts today
Front and rear inner wheel arches;
0a78eec89283bc6a510f4646fa9872a9.jpg

97c009502991229d7fbe1f4efeb088f4.jpg

All marked today ready for cutting, then hopefully tomorrow I can get something done!

X2 Clio Valvers
After lots of thinking and debating I've decided I'm giving up on this project, it kills me to make this decision but my decision is made. RIP TOA...

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
sad to see this end :( im on about getting a valver and taking all the rust off it ( in a perfect world )

if you dont mind me asking, where did you get all the replacement parts?

ive asked my usuall dealer ( imperial crash repair parts ) and they only do , arch's and sills for the mk1

X2 Clio Valvers
Think I'm slowly changing my mind to carry on lol... Just remembered I ordered a few goodies from a c16v member! :D

Got all my panels from carbodypanels.co.uk and carz2.co.uk mate

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
im hopefully getting that green valver thats come up for sale. needs ALLOT of metal work but im not fussed :D

to own a mk1 that'll be rust free will be my ultimate path !

cheers for the heads up, i'll have a gander.

just think mate. once you have done, you'll be in the very elite club of MINT valvers

X2 Clio Valvers
im hopefully getting that green valver thats come up for sale. needs ALLOT of metal work but im not fussed :D

to own a mk1 that'll be rust free will be my ultimate path !

cheers for the heads up, i'll have a gander.

just think mate. once you have done, you'll be in the very elite club of MINT valvers

Brookland green? Always wanted one lol. One if my fav colours besides Naples, carman red and xerus :)

That's what's keeping me going mate. Really can't wait to get it done now

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
yup, talking to the chap now, needs allot of work and a vosa check after ( insurance being insurance wrote it off for a fairly large dent just to the door )

not to far away from me, and me working at a bodyshop/garage means im not going to throw a paddy when i cant do stuff lol. unlike you who is previously a panel beater :)

X2 Clio Valvers
Lol. I enjoy doing it, it's just sometimes I think wtf did I even entertain this for lol. But once I've calmed down I'm good :) love it. Where's the car from? eBay?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
off c16v. both rear arch's shot, and both sills, probs allot more needs redoing on it, but i like stuff like that!.

certainly floats m boat more than my mk2 dci does... :eek:

X2 Clio Valvers
off c16v. both rear arch's shot, and both sills, probs allot more needs redoing on it, but i like stuff like that!.

certainly floats m boat more than my mk2 dci does... :eek:

I've but the bullet and doing everything lol. I also love stuff like that, I'm not a fan if the mk2s, although ph1 172s are growing on me lol

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
i might aswell do the lot , as im gong to convert it to a rather special diesel ( i know defeats the object but the outcome wont be ;) )

do all the work once and properly, hopefully another 15 years left in it :D

yeah i agree, starting to get bord of ' its a ph2 mk2 ' nearly all the same. ph1's are allot more cool, nothing on a mk1 tho !

X2 Clio Valvers
Lol. You'll have to get a thread up. Will be a good read!
Mk1 all the way for me I'm afraid, only mk2 bits going on mine are a 172 box, and widetrack lol.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
yupp, same for me ' ish' mk1 with mk2 wide track, and rear track upgrade ( 172 hubs )

mk2 dti engine and box on mechanical injection ( tweek and reek! LOL )

well if all goes to plan and i get it, i'll get a thread going once ive gone over it, ordered nearly everything i need.

i canna wait!

hardy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Mk1 Track Proj
I was about to have a go when I saw this:

After lots of thinking and debating I've decided I'm giving up on this project, it kills me to make this decision but my decision is made. RIP TOA...

Glad you have seen sense to carry on and save a MK1 like what I will be doing.

I wont be able to join your MK1 only crew as I did the 172 conversion a few years back. It is now going boost on that engine...

Keep up the good work. Certainly keeping me motivated to get on with mine.

I will post up my progress when I'm not at work...

Josh

X2 Clio Valvers
I was about to have a go when I saw this:

Glad you have seen sense to carry on and save a MK1 like what I will be doing.

I wont be able to join your MK1 only crew as I did the 172 conversion a few years back. It is now going boost on that engine...

Keep up the good work. Certainly keeping me motivated to get on with mine.

I will post up my progress when I'm not at work...

Josh

I thought about going f4r but then changed my mind as my intention was to restore it lol. Might do it standard to the max, although I love the idea of wild cams and high comp engine etc :p