ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Kangoo Cup Dci Build Thread

Kangoo 172 Cup ;)
Well, it begins.

After needing good fuel economy and a small van, the 172 has basically been replaced with a face lift Kangoo SL17 Dci70+ Van.

Its a great little van, 2005, tidy enough, great on fuel etc, but need to stop myself from getting bored of it.

I am glad I managed to get a Dci+ for very good money as it has the electric windows, remote locking and a few other nice bits to make it feel a little more car like.

So for a bit of fun, its going to get some love.

I fitted a set of std ph2 16" 172 wheels last week, and after a bit of hub-centric beef on the back, they are on. Quite a tight fit at the rear.

I have a 172 cup front end sat in the garage...........

I will update with photos and info as things happen, hopefully a lot tomorrow if weather permits.

Kangoo 172 Cup ;)
Quick pic of the van after fitting the 172 wheels.
6931057758_6dda6694b7.jpg

Van after fitting wheels by ashleyt33123, on Flickr

Kangoo 172 Cup ;)
Thats the plan for now, Dci 80 intercooler + map, then drop a Dci 100 lump in it at some point, but for now the focus is on handling and a cheeky drop.

Kangoo 172 Cup ;)
Cheers Raz, just something a little different ;). Bit of a learning curve to, not a lot of info out and about on the kangoo, so going from loads of part cross references and help from the Dci rep guys.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I would presume as most of us DCI owners know a thing or two about the DCI mechanical workings, most parts will be a straight forward swap, gear boxes are a thing to research into tho as some people think the kangoo van boxes are limited unlike the Clio boxes. Speak to Edde on here, very knowledgable person ;)

Clio 172 Ph2
This will be a good thread guys he has some good plans!, dont you worry ash ill keep my eye on this too and will soon start a thread about the ph2 i have now purchased from you!! :rasp:

Kangoo 172 Cup ;)
Sweet, glad to see you on the thread John!

As for the gearbox, it appears to have the same outputs from the diff as a 172, female spline on the drivers side shaft, and normal 3 point uj type thing on the passenger side, tomorrow will give me a little more of an insight. But the box is on a cable operated clutch rather than the later hydraulic system that people have had an issue with.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Awesome! Will be watching this ;) Will be in the same situation in a few months time :D

Mickb

ClioSport Club Member
  van low and 1.6 16v
clean looking. as said on dci.net imsure that model has different gearbox/shafts like the 100dci clio as there hydraulic rather than cable operated clutch. there for youll struggle with the wide track only on the shaft side of things.

ive played with the idea of picking one up and converting it to a sport... but i know what will happen will end up like the van and will drag it, so kind of pointless

Kangoo 172 Cup ;)
Well a very productive day!

After a bit of a fight, I managed to convert the front end over to wide track including:
Drive shafts
Lower arms
Ball joints
Hubs
Bigger 172 brake setup
Dampers

It all bolted on with no issues at all, same fittings (including drive shafts).

Only issue I had was retaining the Kangoo ARB, as few guys on here advised me to just drill the lower arm to create the hole the non RS clio ARB link goes through, so I did and job done. I will be changing over to the 172 ARB at some point, using the Kangoo item is just a short term thing.

I also added some Eibach SportLine springs at the front while I was at it ;), and it drives as it should.

I found that my passenger side std drive shaft was shot anyway, and so was the drivers side wheel bearing.

The stance is bob on, wheels sit as expected, filling the arches with enough space for the tyre not to catch anything, with about 3/4 of an inch gap between tyre and arch.

I will get some pics us as soon as I can, and I am going to attack the torsion bar tomorrow and take some measurements for adjustable rear dampers while I am at it, also going to need to adjust the rear brake load compensator once its down at the rear after a road test.

But to answer a few questions people seem to be unsure of:

It all bolts on ;)

I will have a look at my gearbox code tomorrow and let you guys know what my 2005 van uses.

Kangoo 172 Cup ;)
The back has dropped a little bit more now i have covered 5 miles or so in it, but quite happy with it, handles great and the rear wheels dont catch which is a surprise after trying different hub-centric spacers to stop the wheels catching before I dropped it.

Kangoo 172 Cup ;)
That is superb!

What does it drive like now?

To be fair, it feels very close round bends to a 172. Not trashy, just firm and flat! Think one of the front disks is a little warped but I will change them if it does not bed in well.

Well chuffed so far!

Clio Mk1
I really like what you've done so far, good job. Would love to have such daily straight away! Keep up the good work. What's next step?