ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Iceburg 172 On The Up!

Clio 172
So I don't really have a 'project thread' as such,......... well I guess now I do! I've done quite a few bits and bobs to the car so far to get it to where I'd like, but the most significant so far being the addition of a nice mint set of anthracite 182 wheels, big thanks to @Ash J for those, and swapping the standard shocks and springs for cooksports all round with cup shocks and new Febi top mounts, big thanks to @AshleyT for those! I think you'll all agree the stance is far better now and the anthracite wheels imo go very well and make a nice contrast to the Iceburg! :) I'm really happy with the improvement in looks and handling, a great set up now. So cheers you guys for helping me out with those bits. Also not forgetting @james alford for sorting me an offside driveshaft which needed replacing due to split boots! Then a nice little finishing touch was the addition of the new RS badge on the tailgate, and a full 4 wheel hunter alignment to get everything nice and straight again! So a really good weekend! Happy days. I just love this little car, and it just keeps getting better and better! More to follow soon as I'm working on brake improvements and awaiting a nice shiny battery cover from @MarcR™ arriving early next week! So more smiles to follow. :smile:
IMG_1598.JPG
IMG_1596.JPG
IMG_1597.JPG

Clio 172
Looks a really nice one :up::up:
Cheers mate, yeah it was clearly well looked after before I got it, one of the last 172s I'm guessing, being on an 04 plate!? Tidy bodywork and underneath. Only got 58,500 on the clock and the engine is sweet! Running a full decat K-tec system and induction kit, and made 184.5 last time on the rollers, so she goes well. Onwards and upwards though. :wink:

Clio 172
So the long awaited battery/induction cover finally got fitted today, love it! Just had to trim 10mm off the induction hose at the throttle body end, and fitted perfectly. Really nice bit of kit! Only thing is now the rest of the bay lets it down somewhat, so............ tomorrow's mission is to clean up the inlet and injector rail cover and spray the engine cover in matt black! Should be well on the way to being tidy then. Will post some pics of the results. Then just waiting for my Brembo HC discs to turn up and the brakes will be overhauled. Got Mintex 1144 pads to go with the HCs, and new oe discs and pads for the rear, nice shiny new goodridge braided hoses and typ200 fluid, and a lick of paint on the calipers to finish the job, should stop as well as it goes and handles then. Might not be this weekend for the brakes though, we shall see. :tongueout:
IMG_1664.JPG

Clio 172
So as I'd promised myself yesterday, today I was up early and the mini project was to smarten up the front end of the car and under the bonnet. The front grille had previously been painted, badly, and the headlight washers were loose, leaking and p***ing me off, so they had to go! Also the engine cover was shabby and the inlet and injector rail cover were dirty, dull and showing their age.
So here's what it all looked like prior to any work being done......
IMG_1667.JPG

IMG_1668.JPG

So first was to strip the grille and engine cover off the car and start cleaning, scotching, degreasing etc ready for paint.
IMG_1670.JPG

IMG_1671.JPG

As you can see, the grille was in a pretty sh***y state!! Luckily enough my good friend was on hand who is a dab hand with anything to do with painting, spraying, and having huge experience in panel beating, bodywork and customising cars etc, he was the man for the spraying part, and I was his assistant! Lol.
As he didn't have his compressor up and running, he assured me he could do a more than adequate job with a spray can, and recommended which one I should buy. The paint was called 'Artline', and was a matt black in colour, and I was amazed at how well it went on and covered!! So he prepped and sprayed the engine cover and grille, while I got to work on the tired cast aluminium inlet, injector cover, and the throttle body opening. Again on my friends recommdation, I bought a simple 25mm wire brush drill attachment to tackle this job........
IMG_1672.JPG

Tried a little test area, then proceeded....
IMG_1674.JPG

Found it worked really well, kept getting mouthfuls of aluminium dust though!
This is the attachment I bought...
IMG_1675.JPG

IMG_1677.JPG

It came up really well, brought it back to life again......
IMG_1678.JPG

Sprayed up the injector rail cover.....
Then refitted the cover and grille.....
IMG_1683.JPG

Ctd in next post as only ten photos per post!

Clio 172
IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1687.JPG

IMG_1689.JPG

IMG_1690.JPG

So 2 hours later, this was the end result! A complete transformation really, I couldn't be happier with the results and a big thank you to my mate for his help and expertise! We even managed to get the light washers out, bung up the pipework and blank the holes. Only went for some 25mm grommets as was keeping costs down for these improvements. Good enough for me though! Happy days. Brakes overhaul to follow next weekend hopefully. Thanks for reading and sorry if it waffles on a bit! :wink: