ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My homemade attempt at weighing my Cup...

four scales into four inputs on the computer readout on that pic.

So it will have the whole weight of the car on that machine at once because it has four weights to add together.

You cant weigh a corner at a time as the other 3 wheels will be disributing the weight over the 3 pallets instead of on the scales.

It just wont work, i cant believe you think it would??

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
they work because they are under all 4 wheels at the same time...

That doesn't make sense. Think about it...

There are 4 scales, 1 under each wheel, each saying (for arguments sake) 250 kgs - so total weight equals 1,000 kgs. That works according to your theory.

Now imagine 3 of them are not scales, but platforms exactly the same height as the scale. Does the one wheel on the one remaining scale suddenly get heavier? No. Has weight distribution changed to affect the mass over each wheel? No. The car still weighs 1,000 kgs apportioned as 250 kgs under each wheel - you just happen to have only one wheel being 'weighed' at a time.

Whether I have one scale I move around each of the four wheels, or four scales I can use simultaneously should make no difference to the result.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
four scales into four inputs on the computer readout on that pic.

So it will have the whole weight of the car on that machine at once because it has four weights to add together.

You cant weigh a corner at a time as the other 3 wheels will be disributing the weight over the 3 pallets instead of on the scales.

It just wont work, i cant believe you think it would??

See my post above.

You are saying that the weight under the wheel of a car depends on if it has a scale beneath it or not - which is obviously not correct.

Exige S1 + Honda S1
thought about it and yes its complete sense

haha cant belive you are trying to argue this, your car does NOT weigh 654kgs lol

all of your wheels are at different heights for a start, you lower it onto the pallet truck more than the other to give the weight so the suspension will be distributing the weight around the remaining wheels.... its so ridiculous its funny

Last edited:
  A4 Avant
I think he knows the weight is out. But if the pallets were the exact same height as the scales I can't see why it wouldn't work??

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Nigel.

I'm not disputing the fact that my car does NOT weigh 654 kgs - see the close to my video clip.

What I am saying, is that in principle the method works (notwithstanding my erroneous results of course!). All 4 wheels were level regardless of their being weighed or not. Weight was distributed equally at all times and the car was dynamically stable.

To those of you who disagree I struggle to see how you feel it wouldn't work...how is what I have done any different to a set of individual wheel corner scales?

Renaultsport 220T
Mark it's simple.

The car needs to be completely on a balance or set of scales for it to read correctly.

If you have a set of bathroom scales go and stand with one foot on the floor and see if it gives you half your total weight. It won't, because of the force applied.

Exige S1 + Honda S1
lol

think of it like this, if you were to weigh 2 sides of the car, left and right then add them up you are assuming you are getting exactly 50% of the cars weight when you lower the jack onto the scales, it may over read instead of under-reading like it has done here as it doesnt have the 3rd wheel supporting most of the weight

A4 Avant
That analogy is wrong though as thats the same as putting all the weight of the car on one wheel.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
^ All the wheels were level. If your foot was on a say a book the same height as the scales, in theory it would work (assuming you weren't leaning)

I think your suspension would have to be locked off for this to work.

Thruxton scrutineering bay has a proper weighbridge.

Have a word with the guys from the motorsport centre, I reckon they'll laugh but they should let you on them :)

Unfortunately I no longer have a contact there so can't as ask for you.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
That analogy is wrong though as thats the same as putting all the weight of the car on one wheel.

No it isn't, I didn't say stand on one leg! lol

Both feet down, one on the scales and one on the floor.

Both feet aren't level if you do that affecting weight distribution. I made sure my car's wheels were level.

Although I've now worked out why it didn't work, can't believe I didn't spot this - it's visible in the video for all to see GGGRRRRRRRRRRR :mad:

Part 2 to follow soon...with an accurate result!

172 A Cupwork Orange™
lol love the vid me and the missus had a good laugh it even draged her away from emmerdale...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
You cant just weigh a corner at a time it will never work!

YOU CAN! The scales I posted a picture of do exactly that!

It didn't work because...

I used stacking card under the wheels to get each wheel to the same level. The amount I put under each wheel was exactly the same, and was exactly equal to the top of the forks on the pallet scales.

But...

When I was weighing each corner, the wheel sat between the forks, not on them, and was therefore approx 10-15mm lower than the other 3 wheels.

That would be enough imbalance to cause the sort of mis-read I got.

Next time, I'm going to make it so that all wheel rim lips are the same distance from the ground whether they're on the scales or card - that'll work.

good vid but your idea wont work whatsoever.
the 4 weighing scales posted are all connected together,lets stick to the house weighing scales as an example,its like weighing yourself,then cutting all the bits out so only your heel and your toes rest on the scale,so your weight is still the same,how your are doing it would be for you to weigh yourself by doing one toe at a time-would not work.

Banana
I tested this theory out at the gym. I weighed myself on a set of scales and I was 98kg.
I then pushed an identical set right beside them and put one foot on each.
Each scale said I was 56 kg.
So Matt's right, it doesnt work.

how can this work MarkCup? please for the love of god stop wasting your time doing this.

Even if you take a reading from each corner, the cars weight is still resting on those 3 pallets and distibuting the weight over those 3 pallets as well as the scales so the readout wont be accurate.

Those scales you posted up has 4 sensors, one for each wheel, and it will add it together giving the total weight.

Its not bloody rocket science, your theory is flawed im afraid.

I have a degree in bullshit so im qualified to say..

fiesta 1.25
^^^ Yup you cant just expect to get an exact wieght per quarter of the car because weight on the other three wheels will interfer.It doesnt make sense.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
OK then, consider the £800 + VAT scales I pictured above that everyone seems to agree will work...

Weight2.jpg

Now, let's say that you disconnect one of the scales from the main display...

Weight1.jpg

The other corners that are still connected to the main display are still giving the same reading for each corner that they were when all 4 were connected. The mass of the car at the corners does not change depending on whether all 4 or only 1 scale is actually connected; each scale gives an accurate corner-weight.

What's important to that is that the car is dynamically stable. I could do other pictures showing just the one scale connected but I'm sure you get the idea.

What I am trying to do with the pallet scales is exactly the same, to weigh each corner - I do not understand how you can argue that would not work?

A4 Avant
In my mind I think waht your saying should work or at least be very close. Guess we'll have to wait for the next vid!

Mark - because you dont know the weight of the 3 corners on the pallets and never will, how can you weigh it accurately.

Even if you measure the height of the pallet truck and copy that height with pallets you still cant get it to be accurate because you will never know how the weight is been disributed. IE- is the floor level, etc.

I can see what you want to do but it wont work, your after an accurate weight not a guesstimate which this will be no matter what you do.

Just save yourself the hassle and go to a weighbridge/dump/etc and use the scales they use.

My local tip weighs the load you bring in a commercial vehicle to the KG, so go find somewhere similar.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Well I still cannot see the logic to your argument.

So what if 3 wheels are on pallets. They are static and do not affect weight distribution of the wheel being weighed. It still weighs 350/150 kgs as per my diagrams above.

Can we agree that if I go down this route, and do everything consistantly, and end up with a result between 950-1,000 kgs (which is where I should be)...that I'm right?

:rasp:

Exige S1 + Honda S1
I could tell you its gonna be about that if done correctly but whats the point of that if its not accurate at all

Although it seems you just want to argue you are right, its a losing battle!
Save youself the hassle and drive to your local tip and do it.