ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Focus RS mk1

Focus RS Mk1
Evening all, some minor purchases to add to this thread, nothing actually fitted to the car just yet but as you can tell its been an expensive month!

Firstly, Hel braided brake lines, haven't actually turned up yet but should be here any day now! They sent me standard Focus items not RS ones! grrrr!

(Stock photo!)
HEL%20Brakeline.jpg

Secondly, the fluid for the all important brake refresh i'm going through, thanks to OPIE Oils for this, didn't go for anything too special, never a good idea to mix fluids so stuck to the same dot 4 fluid.

546784_10151479648120176_718905175_23876493_177677634_n.jpg

Been after these for a little while now, finally found a set second hand that had minimal mileage and great condition - H&R springs :)

536287_10151479648565176_718905175_23876498_1457629938_n.jpg

And the biggest purchase (teaser pics for now!)

561181_10151479648915176_718905175_23876503_2101663705_n.jpg

541884_10151479649235176_718905175_23876504_402930875_n.jpg

This is all sat at home waiting to go on the car, will most likely happen throughout the next week.

However on a negative note my clutch is on its way out, slips with any decent load in 4th and 5th gear so the next purchase will be an uprated AP clutch. More soon.

Cheers

Sean

Focus RS Mk1
spent my morning doing this:

399166_10151551982865176_718905175_24095182_402524527_n.jpg

389601_10151551984535176_718905175_24095183_827880019_n.jpg

HEL braided hoses.

My working area:

530062_10151551981520176_718905175_24095181_655148070_n.jpg

Car also had a quick polish and wax yesterday. Also removed the mud flaps in prep for the HnR spring fitment.

401764_10151551986430176_718905175_24095185_1583153245_n.jpg

563579_10151551988470176_718905175_24095186_595064386_n.jpg

Got a few other things on the go at the moment.

Ordered my OMP subframes, they should be here within 10days.
Car is booked in to have its AP organic clutch fitted, then its onto those HnR's!

Been an expensive month!

Focus RS Mk1
These just aren't in your face like the latest offering, which is so much nicer to look at!

Looks tasty mate.

Cheers, totally agree, the Mk2's are way too in your face! also a very big car! not for me!

Insignia SRi
Hi mate, nice work. I picked my RS on Sat and loving it, pretty much exactly the same set up except mine has Comps on it instead of standard wheels. Has being putting a huge smile on my face all week.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Hi mate, nice work. I picked my RS on Sat and loving it, pretty much exactly the same set up except mine has Comps on it instead of standard wheels. Has being putting a huge smile on my face all week.

Get a thread up. That's a few RS' on here now!

Insignia SRi
Hahaha i knew Gally would be all over the fact I just bought one lol. I will do i need to renew my membership first, its going in 2mo for a full service and RS health check this week then I can fully exploit the 300hp, its a lot different to the Fiesta lol

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Get signed up and wh0re it ffs. :eek:

You don't need to sign up to post in G&A.

Insignia SRi
Haha well when and if we get any decent weather i will, Imperial Blue needs to be shown off. I used i t for the first time in anger last night and when the boost picks up it gives you such a kick up the arse, its superb. Im just waiting on my scanguage 2 to arrive anyday now as im nervous about driving it hard at the mo when the only thing I can keep an eye on is boost pressure.

Insignia SRi
Sean, when you ordered the re-trimmed steering wheel from Germany was it a pretty easy process as mine has the semi melted wheel so its a job I want to do?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Has this leaned you towards one gally.?

Not at all mate, the Frp tingles my balls twice as much as the RS does. I had one for nearly a week. Power is wasted on me, I have no desire to go really quickly.

It was fun though, boosts is hilarious. So is the torque steer. They look superb even these days, especially with a nice splitter and some Eibachs possibly.

Insignia SRi
Yeah you need to be careful with the splitter coming off steep driveways though lol.

That's the one thing I noticed is that everybody looks as you roll past, yeah you do really have to concentrate especially in the wet when the boost comes on.

I do f-ing love it though :)

Focus RS + S3
Ive been looking at buyers guides etc, havent had chance to sign upto forums yet

But any things to look out for? Most guides say they are pretty bomb proof,i ve read about thermostat housings etc but id rather get an
opinion from someone whos actually bought one lol

Also any good forums as theres so many to choose from?

Insignia SRi
Have a look on focusRSoc they guys on there are brilliant and have given me no end of help. Dont be put off by high miles, mine has 100k but 1 onwner and has been serviced by the same Ford garage for the last 10 years. I was told buy on condition not millage.

Check that the cambelt has been done, idle control valve sometimes will need replacing but generally just make sure it is in good condition.

Dont be put off by a melted steering wheel..............they all do it.

Insignia SRi
Oh heater matrix hose fail often so one that has had it replaced is good. Its only 12 inches worth of rubber hose but to get to it, intercooler, boost hoses etc all have to come out to get to it. Mine went 9 mines into ownership! lol

Focus RS + S3
The mileage has had me questioning, id like sub 50k but they demand the premium, most are generally 60k and knowing basically nothing about them, i was thinking belts, turbo, gearbox etc but then again its not french

It will be my second car anyway so wont see much mileage

Insignia SRi
Yeah I was the same but the history put my mind at ease knowing all the main bits had either been replaced or serviced well.

What ever you do don't go sticking on an atmospheric dump valve on them, they hate it and they run badly. Either stick with the standard item or go for a recirculating valve. As it's quite a unique car and is now becoming collectable just get one that has been looked after well.

Focus RS + S3
Its going to sound sad but ive wanted one since i was 13 lol
so i hope its not a case of never meet your heroes as such lol
I best get saving

Insignia SRi
I was exactly the same, I was 17 when they came out and always wanted one and it was every bit as good as I thought it would be, it's just like any high performance care you just need to look after it.

I must look a right tit warming it up before I go anywhere and letting the turbo and oil settle before i turn it off! lol

Insignia SRi
And also, I mean this is personal preferance but I am changing my intercooler grommits to poly bush ones because when the originals fail you get a horrendous knocking noise when driving.

Focus RS + S3
Ahh cheers for the advice :)

The thing is its a little daunting as i hvent got a clue, i wont be etting one til next year so this is why i want to research now so i know what to look for etc

Ive only learnt about the seat stitching so far lol

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Definitely buy on condition. Mileage is only good if you want to keep it in an incubator for life, the miles will go up even if you buys low miles, it'll cost you more though.

My car is on 108k, there's only 1 on PH at the moment that's had as much spent on it and it's a press car. (#1-6 were) I'd always buy on condition.

Insignia SRi
Yeah see mine already had the tubular manifold etc on it but although was used hence the miles, it was kept in A1 condition so I didnt mind. If you were a bit closer id show you but South Wales from Kent is a long journey when you only do 24mpg ish lol

Focus RS + S3
Thanks guys :)
i feel a little better now, as theres only a few low milers but they out of my budget to be honest

Focus RS + S3
Thanks for the offer :)

Yours got anthracite comps ?
Think i saw it on pistonheads the other day or it may be a different one

Sorry for the thread hijack by the way lol

Insignia SRi
Yeah mine has anthracite comps but was never on pistonheads, I bought it before the guy even officially had it up for sale lol

Focus RS Mk1
Sean, when you ordered the re-trimmed steering wheel from Germany was it a pretty easy process as mine has the semi melted wheel so its a job I want to do?

yeah, just order on ebay as normal, arrived within a week, easy peasy to fit too