ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Faulty Willie

OK It died 3 times and 2 times I got it re-started over 1 hour later. The 3rd time I got the power back but nothing from the starter. I put it in to Renault and they said the starter was knackered - well fair enough but what about the other times - well they said that was it on its way out!!

Got a new starter fitted Friday (£195) OUCH.

Used the car over the weekend and it was fine

Monday - drive the car to work - Fine, Got to take it home at lunch and theres power but no starter again!! Bump start it and take it to Renault and they cant find anything!

Its sitting round at renault since yesterday with a mechanic starting every hour since to see if it will happen for a fourth time - so far no luck.

Any ideas anyone!?

clio 20v

maybe try replacing the ignition switch or it could be a loose contact somewhere

intermittant faults are hard to find ignition switch would be nxt thing on my list to replace

adi

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

Carlos i think its driver error !! ;)

Give the car to me coz i dont think you and yours are well suited !! :cry:

So i think that you should give it to me, so i give it some tender care. :D

When I was having my problems after I flattened the battery, the car kept intermittanly cutting out. Turned out to be an ever so slightly loose connection on the battery. Looked fine, but the things (technical term) that hold the cables on the battery had come loose by about half a turn. Tightened them and it didnt do it again.

Might well be a loose connection somewhere. If Renault have stung you un-necessarily for a starter, sting them back!

Thats odd. Isnt yours the one with 20-something k on the clock?

My starter motor is fine at 99k miles.

I hear that the diesel one fits and is cheaper.

27k on the clock!! Im wondering about the immobiiser myself! Its supposed to be disconected but the alarm still works if i use the key!!

clio williams, Ph1 172

could be battery terminals. Mine kept cutting out. sometimes the battery light comes on now and then now.

Or it could be the terminals on the starter. I saw one that wasnt wired up right and it had welded itself to a the engine somehow cos of sh*te wiring.

I had the same thing happen to me last year, turned out to be the alarm/immobiliser. I disconnected it and now its been fine for ages.

Renault are useless at fault finding, they just seem to work out the most obvious possible causes and the replace parts by trial and error which any tom, dick or harry could do!

Well it gets better!! When it broke down after they had supposedly fixed it I let them know. I told them I would tow it round after work - but they sent some guys round to collect it which was good! BUT the the fact they jump started it and got it going again instead of towing it means as the fault isnt happening they cant find it - its still at bloody renault but they cant even start looking at it until it stops working again!

I may get it back off them and drive the thing until it stops again - then tow it to them - problem intact!

Mr2 Roadster

Bad earthing, because if they jump started it they would have connected the negative straight to the engine ? Just an idea!

I had a similer prob mine died sounded like a flat batt trie bumping it and it wouldnt have none of it so i called the AA and it was aloose connection on the battery workes fine now....

Just an idea- Take off the top of the dash(4 screws) and see if the red and yellow wires on the left hand side have been bridged or still have the four black wires from the immobiliser running off them.

This is where the immobiliser breaks the circuit to the starter and fuel pump, cant remember which is the starter one but just join them up(yellow to yellow and red to red). if you have the same problems after then put it back as you found it, but this solved my fault which was just as your discribing.

SAME problem as me, car has been fine since i have had the transplant, took it out for a caning tonight, came back to it and it wouldnt start. push started it and it was fine all the way home. stopped it and started it a million times and it seems to have solveeed itself?!? let me know what the prob is with yours as it will be the same on mine! its not immobiliser because i can hear the fuel pump, defo a starter motor fault i reckon or dodgy earths

Cheers Guys. Paul I live in Inverness mate or I certainly would take it to you. Thanks for the offer - If they still cannot fix it I might see you anyway.

Renault have checked the immobiliser is disconnected but they still cant find the problem. They have had it for four days now not including the original 4 days. 8 in total and nowt so far.

Clio 197

Push starting is no different than using the starter motor. You are turning the engine over the same with either method.

190 BHP Willy 2

I had very similar trouble a week or so ago. It turned out to be a battery terminal not donr up tight enough. Were only talking 2/3rds of a turn, but it solved all my non starting problems, and intermittent battery light flickers.

Id definately check that 1st, has to be screwed right down, not just tight but "kin" tight.

I assume the RTE thats got the car has checked that although I will mention it!

I have also had my cousin metion to me that he bought the same stereo for his RX7 as I have and when he connected it the car wouldnt start. He says his has the standard sony plugs but he also found a seperate earth that it turned out he needed to connect - I didnt do or see this on mine. I dont know if that could be a problem!

I had this intermittant starter problem, went to take starter out and noticed wee spade connector looked bit corroded as well as respective connection on starter itself, cleaned them up with emery paper, its being fine since. Thing was it sound dead like what yours is doing! just a suggestion though let Renault sweat it out. Carlos would that be Ness Motors Renault Inverness, I thought I was the only member in the Highlands dont feel quite so isolated now, cheers

Hi Alex, yeah I live in Drakies (Inverness).

Where about are you then, I have seen a white valver in Inverness?

I know there seems to be 4 or 5 off Fiesta Turbo.com (owned a few;))from the Highlands too but never met any yet.

BTW There is some kind of cruse on in Inverness soon if your into that kind of thing, not my cup of tea but I heard fast car will be there - how true that is I dont know.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Eddd on 02 May 2003

Push starting is no different than using the starter motor. You are turning the engine over the same with either method.
no i think it can cause damage to the cat.. somthing about unburnt fuel getting into the exhaust or somthing.. it tells you in you handbook not to bump start the car ..

Quote: Originally posted by Alex M on 02 May 2003

I had this intermittant starter problem, went to take starter out and noticed wee spade connector looked bit corroded as well as respective connection on starter itself, cleaned them up with emery paper, its being fine since. Thing was it sound dead like what yours is doing! just a suggestion though let Renault sweat it out. Carlos would that be Ness Motors Renault Inverness, I thought I was the only member in the Highlands dont feel quite so isolated now, cheers
that is exactly what the problem was on mine, it is now sorted with a quick clean. car has started fine since then