ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Experience: Clio 182 vs ST170

Clio 182
Hi all, still quite new to Clio ownership (having sold my ST170) and to this forum, but thought I'd share my epxerience of owning both. I know there are loads of discussions about this all over the web but most seem to be based on manufacturer spec instead of owner experience. Both cars are/were completely stock and the Clio is the basic version (no cup packs). Hope its useful anyway...

Insurance:

ST170 was group 15, the Clio is group 16 and with some insurers invokes extra restrictions (depending on the underwriters). In my case it excluded anyone under 25 driving the car. There are other insurers who don't enforce this but it's worth being aware of. The actual cost of insurance isn't much different between the two.

MPG:

On fresh oil, plugs and filters the ST170 achieved 29-30mpg for normal daily commuting with occasional heavy foot - this figure was calculated as there was no on-board computer. I understand that's a fairly good figure for these cars. I collected the Clio miles away and on the journey home (all motorway) I was getting around 43mpg (according to the on-baord computer). Now back to normal driving I'm still getting 37-38, although I expect that to drop a bit. I will calculate a better value once I've filled up the tank a few times.

Looks [personal preference]:

When I had the ST170 I thought it looked great (and still do), and was concerned the Clio would appear too soft. However, now parked on the drive it looks good. This is partly due to the fact the Clio is two years newer and it has been waxed recently! Both are great looking cars, but somehow the clio is just tidier.

Chassis / suspension:

The ST170 has always been known for a good chassis, and my experience agreed with that. It was sharp and turned in well, and the steering was precise. My car was let down a bit by cheap front tyres (didn't change them as I knew I was selling the car) but still very driveable, and comfortable for passengers. The Clio is smaller and a little more urgent in the way it handles. The steering is very sharp (but perhaps slightly too light) and I find the suspension plenty hard enough (despite not having cup chassis). I don't drive fast the majority of the time so this might not be the experience of our speedier friends.

Gearbox:

Again, the Focus (6 speed) is reputed to have a great box. It was sharp and the extra gear helped a bit for motorway driving. The shift was more positive, but did require a lot more force on the lever. The Clio's change is looser but allows for a faster change. Personally I think the Clio would benefit from a 6th for motorway driving but people may disagree with that. I also find that 1st in the clio is a bit short, but again its just preference.

Power / torque:

No contest. As I read somewhere on a Focus forum: "I don't know where the 170bhp goes but it's nowhere near the wheels". The Focus can rev nice and high but has little power or torque low down. Even at the top end it still fails to excite. It is a competent 2l engine, but not much more so than any other 1800 - 2000cc NA petrol. Overall disappointing, and so cannot justify the insurance and running cost. I am willing to concede I may have owned an example at the lower end of the power scale (I understand that Foci naturally vary in output a fair bit from the factory), but still not that impressed. The Clio is lighter which partly explains why it performs better but it is inherently a more powerful and torquey engine. The power is also delivered (silghtly) lower down the rev range. It picks up much more quickly and doesn't force hooligan driving just to get a smile.

Interior:

Difficult as both cars had their fair share of rattles! The Focus was a bit tired inside as the previous owner didnt keep it clean, but it felt solid enough. Given that it was a 9 year old car the interior wasn't bad at all. I don't much like renault interiors in general, and the clio is no exception. There is a lot of dull grey plastic and an unexciting AC/head unit. The seats however look great in an understated way. Both cars suffered from odd driving positions - the Focus seat wouldn't go low enough so I felt like I was driving a bus, and the Clio's steering wheel is too large. You get used to either though.

Verdict:

Much happier with the clio than the focus, and can justify the high cost of insurance/tax whereas I couldnt with the Focus. I will update this post as and when I think of other things or faults (do ro don't!) occur. Let me know if you have any questions anyway.

pimp mobile Zafira
Nice write up. It's always good to hear from people who have actually owned and used them on a daily basis.

Mk1 Focus RS
good read up pal ive recently bought a FF 182 clio but did think about the ST170 when looking for a new car. sound like a great little car but im happy i got the clio.

any pictures of said clio?

any future plans for it?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Good write up mate even though I think they are 2 completely different cars.

Nice hear opinions non the less.

Renault Clio RS182
Good write up! I've currently got a 182, but test drove an st170 (amongst others) before opting for the clio. I totally agree with your views, however, the one thing i hated about the focus was the interior/dash layout/design. Not a fan of the Fords interiors tbh, looks like a child designed ith, but each to there own i supose :)

Clio 182
Thanks for the comments. I've only got a photo of the car from the original ad (http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?616263-New-to-Clio-182-(Focus-ST170-Convert)) but will take some more when there's some daylight left after work.

No specific plans yet, just want to get used to the car and gain confidence in it. Keen to keep it fairly original if I can, although it is tempting to change the head unit. Overall pretty happy though.

I was a bit sad to the Focus go, but the Clio more than makes up for it - a bit less practical but we knew that before buying!

djonnibegood - agree with you there too. I think the early early 2000s were the wilderness years for car interiors.

182 Ly ff.
I had st170 b4 the 182, agree that the engine just feels gutless and not worth it on the extra insurance and fuel etc. I much prefer the Clio on all points except the build quality. But knew there would be a difference when I changed to the Clio. Good write up though.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Agree with the other guys, good write up and nice to know its based in ownership 'fact' as opposed to speculation. Welcome to CS by the way. Any mod plans for the clio, and we need pics!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've currently got 3 ST170's and I love them. Compared to the 172/182 I prefer the space, I prefer the noise, I prefer the handling and I much prefer the driving position.

But I agree it needs an extra bit of grunt to warrant the less than average fuel consumption and high road tax.

Clio 182
Agree with the other guys, good write up and nice to know its based in ownership 'fact' as opposed to speculation. Welcome to CS by the way. Any mod plans for the clio, and we need pics!

Club 172 - I see you're in Berkshire, where abouts are you?

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I would class an ST 170 as a hot hatch tbh. Like the look of them though.

corsa ecoflex
ive gone from a ph1 172 into an st170 and i much prefer the st overall.....to me it feels alot more responsive through the corners and for me the ride is spot on.One let down is the fuel consumption but remember it is a bigger,heavier car than the clio...i went for the st as it has so much more legroom and a massive boot and the all important comfort pack...would i go back to a clio,i very much doubt it as i have test driven the st-3 and that will be next on the shopping list

Clio 182 FF
This is really helpful as I currently have an ST170 and am keen to get a clio 182. It's nice to know my reasons are genuinely justified regarding handling and fuel economy etc. Good right up. Have you had any issues with the clio having had it a few months now? Anything to look out for?

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
If only Ford built a 2.0l mk1 focus with a bit more power........O wait!

I'm in the process of chopping in my Ph1 for a Mk1 Focus RS.

The one I'm buying belonged to a very good mate of mine and he lent it too me for a 1 week test drive as he was away on business.

I have to say, it beats the PH1 everywhere bar fuel consumption. The engine is fantastic, the handling is out of this world. It's a very nice car to drive, but hasn't lost the raw, playful feeling that you get with a 172.

I've driven many Renault Sport Meganes and just find them dull and boring to drive.

The other thing that drew me into the RS is just how much power the standard engines and gearboxs can take.

I'm really looking forward to the swap.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Nice review, in my experience don't believe thos 182mpg figures at all though.

Renault Clio 182
Nice review, in my experience don't believe thos 182mpg figures at all though.

Neither would I, I'm seeing 30-32 in mixed driving. Get 38 on a run.

Nice write up though I too considered an ST170 before opting for my 182.

Clio 182
Have you had any issues with the clio having had it a few months now? Anything to look out for?

Had the car around 10 months now and no major porblems at all. The only work I've had done is the aux belt + serice (as it was due) and a lambda sensor, and fitted an exaust since the back boxes were rusty.

It's been reliable, starting first time every time. I've calculated the economy after every fill up and the average over my ownership is 34-35mpg. I have got over 40 on a long run (mainly stuck in 50mph average speed cameras).

The only down sides I have experienced are that it's a bit small to put my DH bike in the back, and it can be a bit noisy for passengers in the back seat. Overall very happy.

There are a couple of Mk1 RS' at work and they look stunning, but I've no experience of driving one.

Clio 182 FF
Neither would I, I'm seeing 30-32 in mixed driving. Get 38 on a run.

Nice write up though I too considered an ST170 before opting for my 182.

Thats not too bad though really. I was getting about 27mpgs out of the Focus and now am getting 30-32 out of the 182 plus it is more fun to drive and quicker if a bit less solid feeling. The Clio is definitely more fun! Tried and tested! :D I imagine the RS has that bit more grunt that was needed from the ST though. Nice looking cars too!

Last edited:
  172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Good review pal but i dont understand people saying that the ST170 is as good as the clio because it dont come close all focuses do drive well thou but its no where near as fun as a 172/182