ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Clio wont start...ehh ehh ehh ehh etc.

Clio 1.8 16v
Hey.

Ive just registered on this site and this is my first post :)

I have a problem with my Clio 1.8 16v and im hoping someone here can help! Basically, it wont start.

Its up for sale and has been sat in the garage since October last year. I left it for a week without starting and it needed a jump but apart from that its always started first time everytime. Until now that is. I started it up last week as normal and whispered sweet nothings into the air vents until the engine was warm. That done, I locked the doors and got maybe 30 feet away when I decided today I would give her a cheeky run up and down. So I went back and turned the key but all I got was the engine turning over and over.

I have tried: Putting more petrol in, unlocking and locking the doors, jump starting, cleaning the circuit boards and IR sensors under the sunroof, changing the HT leads, changing the plugs, gentle words of encouragement etc but theres still no change. Any ideas?

It happened instantly (started first time, 2nd time dead) so Im thinking it could be an imobiliser thing, but its been flat out of juice before and nothing happened, also I can use the key to open the door (not the plipper) which seemingly sets the imobiliser off as the dash light then flashes constantly.

Im lost. I keep going back to it like a confused animal :(

Lol..feeling for you!
I would start with a new battery..had the same sort of problem with my polo..and
thats all it needed. it would just keep turning over but it wouldn't start..now it starts everytime.

172 and vw passat
id say electrics to, my car is away to get fixed at the moment, as my heater motor went, then everything went downhill from there. service lights, abs lights , power steering lights ect. and somethimes it dosent start. hopeful find out whats wrong with it tomorrow when i phone the garrage up =). (also tryed a new battery)

mk4 golf gttdi180
is there any sorta light on the dash that stays on check the fuses etc and the dizy cap for a spark also the key with the chip in it

Clio 1.8 16v
Sorry i switched internet providers so ive had no connection recently.

Ive tried using another battery but get the same thing. There is an electric fault light on the dash, a square symbol with like a heart beat zig zag in it. It goes out while cranking but comes back again afterwards. I think its supposed to go out after a few seconds but it doesnt.

It must be something with the electrics but so far ive changed the ht leads, plugs, crank sensor, battery, my underwear etc but theres no change whatsoever. :S

Does anyone know if this is what happens when the coil goes? Someone said it could be a lambda sensor, but will that really stop it starting or just mess up the emissions once going?

Im convinced now the cars electric system is stopping it starting somehow. I even found the cars brain and unplugged it for a bit but its made no difference. I suppose ill have to call out an electric man in a van and chop off one of my arms as payment. Shizzle.

1.8 8v RSi
does it seem liek it wants to start or does nothing happen at all when u turn the key?
have a look at rotor arm....

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Sounds like the coil pack has failed if the engine spins over but doesnt spark at all.

Easy fix its scrappy, new coil pack from there and try that. If it sparks then you know its the coil pack at fault.

From there, it could be imobliser not switching off.