ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My clio 172 is a non runner

172 Mk 2 Iceburge Si
Yesterday my clio jumped a cog on the timing belt and is now no longer a runner! :( Just really wanting some info on what my options are either to rebuild or drop in a new motor and timing belt kit....Any info on what to do and what is available would be very much appreciated guys....

172/1.2/E30
Engine rebuild will be pricey, as you need new valves, guides etc. Could be cheaper to get a used engine. Try the wanted section on here.

172 Mk 2 Iceburge Si
cheers matey...seems everyone who ive either rang today as said the same, seems like the best option!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'd rebuild it.... £250-300 for a workshop to put in 16 new valves, then buy the other bits. As a DIY job it'll be well under the price of buying and fitting a new engine and then replacing the timing belt setup.

172 Mk 2 Iceburge Si
Just to update....after lots of initial groundwork, new engine purchased with genuine 37k miles from an 04-54 plate clio, all essential timing and auxillery belts ordered just arranging fitting at local garage hopefully lambs at clowne in derbyshire. A very costly repair but after lots of advise i think the better option other than rebuild the existing unit with 103k!! Then more work on the brakes ie new discs and a lick of paint on the front bumper. And one for my mate rich fagg.....i will then eventually get that skoda lip spoiler fitted lol. Would like to thank all concerned for your input and views........Seanie

172 Mk 2 Iceburge Si
One more question chaps now my engine has arrived from a clio cup will my air con unit be suitable as cups dont run aircon?.....

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yep, use all the bracketry from your old engine and swap it over to the new block

172 Mk 2 Iceburge Si
Hiya all to update on the car...purchased a new engine from an 04 cup done 37k its as sweet as a nut, many thanks to engine solutions for a great and very swift service. I had purchased all the nessesary auxillery belt and timing belt kits via ebay from cole cookes town renault in Ireland, and the engine was fitted and all set up on the rolling road by Lambs of clowne in derbyshire, many thanks to them for a great job well done. As for the old engine once removed found to have triangle shaped hole in the head really unknown damage to the inner workings but suspected bent valves. Engine is now for sale on ebay with half a day to go, so will make a nice little project for someone with the know how!! Once again many thanks to all involved and for the very helpfull advice from poeple who commented on my thread. I am one very happy clio 172 driver again!! :)