ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my clio 1.2 16 valve turbo conversion

black 3 door clio 1.2 16v
been looking into the megasquirt option all nyt and ive been speaking to a guy who tunes them for a living , hes a private tuner and has a great track record and he also deals them, he has assured me that it will work perfecty as a piggy back fuel controller along side my standard ecu for thetime being..he also asures me he can create a basic start up fuel map included in the price of the ecu, then i have the option of further mapping it myself or he will tune personaly on a rolling road for £75 a day (should take 1 day no longer depending on how far out the base map is) soo il be ordering that the end of next month , :D

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
£75 for mapping?? Bargain.

Bare in mind you'd have to rent the RR too. Most places are £50 an hour.

I don't see why you'd run MS as a piggy back system though. With a few extra bits you could have it controlling everything.

yer £75 per day for the fuel mapping as im using it as a piggy back fuel controller,. if i want any other functions added in like ignition and antilag or boost controll it can all be added to the system as options :p

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Buy surly you'd want to pull some timing during boost too which the std ECU won't do. It sounds a bit of an backward way of doing it. Just leave it all to MS.

it will only stay piggy back for the time being then when i have the time and money to go into a full setup i will controll everything.. also he doesnt need to do it on the rollers he is able to live map the car while im driving on the road in real conditions

yer the timing is one thing ive been thinking about and in all honestly id like it to run the fueling and the timing but leave the standard ecu to controll the ignition and lights, dash etc

ITB'd MK1
it will only stay piggy back for the time being then when i have the time and money to go into a full setup i will controll everything.. also he doesnt need to do it on the rollers he is able to live map the car while im driving on the road in real conditions

run away

ITB'd MK1
^what's up with live mapping? or you on about the MS??

bit of both. Just sounds like a bit of a throw together and hope :( MS is OK if you have excellent electronics knowledge, but the control systems are crude to put it kindly

Road mapping is fine for fueling (if a little long winded), but you can't do the timing accurately. You can sometimes get close, and it'll be OK, but you dont have anything to gauge timing changes with. We always make some minor changes on the road, things like pulling away from junctions, and low speed stuff as in around town crawling to make a car more pleasant and smooth

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
bit of both. Just sounds like a bit of a throw together and hope :( MS is OK if you have excellent electronics knowledge, but the control systems are crude to put it kindly

Road mapping is fine for fueling (if a little long winded), but you can't do the timing accurately. You can sometimes get close, and it'll be OK, but you dont have anything to gauge timing changes with. We always make some minor changes on the road, things like pulling away from junctions, and low speed stuff as in around town crawling to make a car more pleasant and smooth

MS is a little more exciting if you like a challenge though. Plus you can buy full built ones for very little.

Although recently my friend had a problem with his MAP signal being noisey. I sorted it with a capasitor but in general most people wouldn't know where to start.

Its swings and round abouts. Can't the OP use the 1.2 TCE management?

yer thats what k-tec said to me , i was talkng to a mate earlier with a turbo'd low boost saxo , hes using an mf2 setup witch is basically a fuel controller and he said for the time being i can have it if i want untill i can afford standalone and mapping.... might give that a try, can anyone tell me if the 1.6 16v injectors will fit my engine/fuel rail?

ITB'd MK1
MF2 is a 5th injector setup if i'm not mistaken. bit ghetto for me, but an option on a temporary basis I guess. If anyone's got a pic of an injector it'd be helpful, there's always something that will fit :)

the only thing that confuses me about the mf2 is like u said its a fith injector setup , but it says in the mf2 info guide thingy (im not thinkin straight 2nyt lol long day in work) that it can either controll its own set of injectors alongside the original ecu or intercept the original injectors signal and modify from there... il give it a try as a temp thing tho , gunna get the engine up and runing on a low boost setup with the mf2 or similar then whe funds allow im going to get a second engine and build it upto a higher spec with low comps etc and run full standalone.

172 cup
i like what u are doing mate . but if u aint bothered about the power just stick with your induction kit and exhaust , then get the coilover n some good rims n tyres . is it really worth the money n effort for 150bhp

s1 williams/106gti
as usual the forum haters are out in force.its one of those things.....the sensible option would be 'bung a 2 litre in it and turbo that' but fact is thats been done to s**t and im getting bored of the same ol threads.personally i wouldnt bother with this project as it will eat a horrendous amount of cash for notalota power !!! BUT its not my car and im quite enjoying reading something different . good luck with this one mate

cheers guys the project is on hold abit for a while as i had a bump and i need the funds to get the car repaired and mot'd

lol irs okay now jus a bent wishbone, fuked anti roll bar, buckled wheel and knakered passenger seat as airbag went off lol

320d
for the money your put into it why dont you but a 172?

sorry to hear about the bump

Thats sort of comment is why there arn't more interesting projects on here.

I agree with you, and I would do the same, but I think this would be a very interesting project to see.

clio 1.2 16v
any progress iv got most bits for this conversion in garge thinking about doing it heres a list for you

Adapter for the standard manifold to the turbo
downpipe from the turbo
oil feed line
oil return line
boss welded into the sump for the return
Boost pipes
Intercooler
silicone hoses of various bends
silicone vac hose for dump valve and boost gauges
boost gauge
dump valve
2.5bar map sensor
4 bigger injectors (use dastek and map sensor module to run this option)
MF2 and sigcon (runs extra one or two injectors along side the oe 4 if not going for dastek option)

(info from saxp)

120d M Sport
Look forward to seeing more of this mate, good on you for doing something different I think you will be the first to tune the 1.2

1.2 16v clio sport
I well like that exhaust!! if you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost and how loud is it?

heya guys and gals, the project is still here lol , the exhaust is a cat back stainless steel systemcustom made by prospeed in cardiff. well worth the trip down imo..it cost me £260 will a lifetime warranty. and asits custom it can be made to sound how youlike. i had it made so its quiet at low rpm then a nice roar at 5k lol

what are you doing about the turo oil fed?

What sort of power are we hoping for here?

How have you gone about lowering th CR?

Dont mean to sound like a guru as i dont have a clue! Just woundering how you have gone aound the above issues?