ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Aussie Cup

RenaultSport clio 182 cup
Well, he's arrived. My brand spanking new 182 Cup - the Aussie Special edition - is now in my local showroom, waiting a few months until I can pick him up.

The Aussie Special refers to an offer by Renault advertised for November as a Cup with racing stripes on it - and availability of a colour that is not normally an option on the little Clio (Megane has it tho): Blood Orange, or "Inferno". See, unlike you UK and other Euro fatcats ;) , we only get a small subset of options available down here. Australia is V8 territory for the most part, with a large WRX contingent, so the little hot hatch market and after-market is quite small.

As of last week there was only 1 blue and 1 inferno Aussie Specials left.

But I was pleasantly surprised by some of the other differences from the standard Cup:

182_cup_oz_006.jpg

I was happy to see he got the "real" Cup wing, proudly standing with an arched back (the "standard" Cups have the standard, ridged wing).

182_cup_oz_007.jpg

The stripes actually look better in person than in pictures. I thought it might look tacky, and had planned to paint the stripes in the same colour as the wheels - but I think I'll stick with white for a while.

The great thing about the colour is it has a little more "life" than the others:

182_cup_oz_008.jpg

With the flash, you can see hues generated. Oh, those hues! Can't wait to see it in the sun.

Oh, and you probably can't see it, but the speedo is in MPH. "Cute retro racing ... err, thing" I thought initially, but then the speeding fines flashed through my mind. Luckily, when you turn the key, smaller red KPH numbers light up around the bigger white MPH numbers.

Still, I wonder if I'll think it cute when I get my first 110 Mph speeding fine / license cancellation. :eek: :approve:

And finally, the peice of resistance (*spit*) :cool: some artsy type at Renault decided to do this:

182_cup_oz_009.jpg

That's right, the racing stripes taper off into a chic, frenchy, chequered flag motif. I like it. I like it a lot.

And - FAR more importantly - the Missus likes it. She likes it a lot. :D ;)

Anyway. I'm a bit suss on the 19 miles it's been driven already (WTF?:mad: ) - and I hope I can change the trip computer et al to KM. Otherwise I'll have to think-and-drive, which mates don't let mates do. :p

So anyway, I'm gdanjo, and that's my Clio story. Seeya.:cool:

Noice,

The cars are all driiven off the boats and onto the docs, and then onto the trucks again, that where some of your 19 miles have come from, but 19 miles is a long way, enjoy your cup, heavd over to ozrenaultsport.com to meet some more ozzie reno freaks, where are looking for an inferno driver to join up!

MKIII 138
ozrenaultsport.com V Cliosport.net cross continent meet anyone ?

btw get the Ktec carbon splitter its much nicer m8

Nitecarbon.gif

Adamf: It looks like a deliberate decision, since the "standard" Cups do have the standard KPH speedos. They were going for some sort of retro / chic old-skool miles "look."

meggerman,jay: Nice. It'll be a while before I start upgrading though - these little buggers ain't cheap! :rolleyes:

I am looking forward to the complimentary driving course. Once I run it in, I figure.

Monaro VXR
Looks like the cup out there gets climate control too. Rather than just AC or my eyes are just that bad looking through that wee gap in the picture.

Is this just a fullfat 182 with the cup packs?

Mini Cooper S sport
Yup, that's no Cup - it's a full-fat 182 with both Cup packs, leather/alcantara seats, xenon headlights, climate control and everything else!

The spoiler is the same as the one on the 182 Cups - but you need to get them to fit the front splitter for you.

Looks great! :cool:

Golf GTI 1.8T
Extremely nice!! welcome to the cliosport mate. Out of interest (and shock) how much is fuel over there at the moment?

It's just gone down recently, we pay $1.20 per litre for Shell 100 octane.

Thats about, 50 pence?

Nice car btw, are you from Melbourne mate? I think I saw this car today....

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yeah thats not a cup got the half leathers and xenons, NICE

really suits the stripes in that colour and i like how the stripes brake up on the back.

wish we got petrol that cheap!

Ad

MK2 FRS
^^ They call it the cup in Oz mate. Its what the french call a team edition in there market with the stripes.

Thanks guys :eek:

Our Cups are with all the bells-and-whistles, but with the Cup suspension pack added, and no weight-saving measures - ie: nothing taken away. It's also $1500 odd dearer.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to include the front splitter, even though the picture has it shown:

main_image.jpg

Apparently, this isn't the first time Renault Australia has pulled such a stunt; see here: http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=430&highlight=splitter

I think I might buy one anyway (a splitter), just to avoid scraping the bumper.

I also found out through ozrenaultsport.com (thanks for the link, CroClio) that 30 of these were imported, 15 blue and 15 inferno. Which makes these inferno Clio specials rarer than the 30 F1 Gordini specials that were offered earier this year (actually, I think there's 29 left... it seems one of those were written off:S ) .

Yeah, I do feel special ;)

portal172: No, I'm in Canberra. 100 Octane fuel? Do we have that? I've only seen 98 around here. Good thing you told me ... I'll have to start looking out for a local Shell outlet now.:D :cool:

Last edited:
  106 GTi
Glad you like the car, seems like your cup is the equivilent or the 182 with Cup Packs we get here.

Nice and rare for you over there then, enjoy it, car looks great.

There was another guy on here earlier in the year with one of the 30 F1 Gordini specials.

The splitter over here comes pacakaged up in the car as they get ripped off in delivery otherwise - so are fitted during the PDI, maybe it is lying around somewhere at the dealer?

r-jay: yeah, thanks. I'll definately ask the dealer, even to do a deal on purchasing one maybe (they're not *too* bad here, tho they're no Hyundai either ;) ).

portal172: I found there's exactly 1 outlet in Canberra (according to http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=au-en&FC2=/au-en/html/iwgen/zzz_lhn.html&FC3=/au-en/tailored/shell_for_motorists/fuels/extreme/purchasing_extreme.html) that offers "Optimax Extreme": in Dickson. About half an hour from my house, but a good excuse I guess to go for a drive. I know a good back way, past Ainslie... :cool:

Ad

MK2 FRS
Enjoy the motor. Keep wondering bout the stripes for mine. Dont know why ive got the urge to put them on.lol.

p.d. fight the fight with renault.lol