ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my 172 vs Focus RS

A friend of mine has a focus rs with a bluefin upgrade. From a stand start, i notice he has problems with wheel spin. From a stand start, how will my 172 fair, given the weight difference? Are they much quicker?

Upto 60 hell be a couple of car lengths ahead giving its standard time is 5.9.

After 60, you wont know which way it went.

Lee

BMW M2C

Up to 60 its not a massive difference, from then onwards the FRS will leave you for dead. This was proven on last years Spa/Nurburgring trip. However the chipped LCR then left the FRS for dead!!

Guys - has anyone else seen the Evo test where they got the Mini Cooper S, Focus RS, Impreza WRX and Cup together?

Im not saying an RS isnt quicker, but looking at the performance figures they got there I think some of the talk about not seeing which way an RS went is a bit off.

My old Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo used to mince Focus RSs - but I was always on my guard when I saw a 172 (check my old posts out), even though the Coup was capable of 0-100 in 14 secs as standard.

Theres a lot more to a quick car than stats! Over on FCCUK.org theres a lot of respect for the hot Clios...and a LOT less for the Focus RS!

They figures take into account the 0-60 times. The RS clios have good 0-60 times so the difference is hardly noticable.

Take 0-60 out of the equation and let the cars roll from 60-160.

The clio will not see which way a chipped RS went. Its as simple as that!!!!

Clio sports have very little after 100, a FRS has shed loads of turbo torque to pull it along.

Ben, in his original post he does mention the bluefin upgrade, and i get your point about the high speed stuff as not a lot of people will risk it in this country so your right, below 100/110 the RS will not be embarrassing a cliosport.

Does anyone know how much bhp/torque improvement there is with this bluefin chip??

What do RSs 1/4 mile in? Seems to always be one at Crail, hopefully he will be there this Sunday so I can rip him a fresh one :D

Id suspect you being quicker than an RS on the strip but once moving i reckon youd get shafted neil.

However an RS is capable of a 14.9 0-100 (evo) with a good driver and thats with a fully laden car so strip the RS and put a good driver in and youd be in the rear view mirror all the way up the strip.

Quote: Originally posted by Mitchy on 13 February 2005
Id suspect you being quicker than an RS on the strip but once moving i reckon youd get shafted neil.
<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">However an RS is capable of a 14.9 0-100 (evo) with a good driver and thats with a fully laden car so strip the RS and put a good driver in and youd be in the rear view mirror all the way up the strip.

Why do you think it dies so badly over 100? I can stay within 1 car length of my pals 13.6 1/4 mile Cavy turbo all the way to 120!! Pulling on him 30-90.

Id agree with the sensation of reduced speed in 5th.

Driving my 172 for the first time at 80+ leptons on the motorway, I was surprised to have to be reaching for 4th to get the full accelerative shove. Not sure whether thats due to the ratio and revs its turning over at those sorts of speeds though - and the fact that you didnt need to drop a gear in my old Coup 20VT.

I dont think many hot Clio owners will be too distressed at this though - wed have bought cars like the RS or Fiat 20VT if we needed illegal-speed motorway prowess!

My 4th runs out at around 110. 5th to around 135, 6th to off the clock;)

Anyway back onto topic, if you stay within the speed limits, even a bluefin RS will not show you up. If upto a hundred then it will pull a few car lengths, if anything further then youll probably be a spot in his rear view mirror.

Just had a play with the afforementioned RS, he put about 7 car lengths on me and increasing up to about 115 :eek: oh well....

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

My old ibiza cupra would pretty mutch mince a standard Leon cupra R up the strip, and my 172 is not far off the ibiza in all hounesty,

I used to be able to sit with a friends FRS to a point in the ibiza! i owuldnt think there would be a huge gap in standard form but chipped FRS is going to be a fair diffrence!

Having had a chipped turbo car, I wouldnt have said it was substantially quicker than when it was standard (about 15% more peak power/torque).

Sorry mate, i used a valver as an example as it is the slowest out of the hothatch clio range, not because i think its a slow car, as indeed it is not.

PJ, there are standard LCRs running pod in 14.6 so cant really see you mincing them mate. Just go over to seatcupra.net and have a look if you dont believe me.

Sorry mate, i used a valver as an example as it is the slowest out of the hothatch clio range, not because i think its a slow car, as indeed it is not.<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">PJ, there are standard LCRs running pod in 14.6 so cant really see you mincing them mate. Just go over to seatcupra.net and have a look if you dont believe me.

Chipped ones dont seem to run much better than 14.6?

Yeah your right and thats down to too much wheelspin in the 1st 2 gears. it fecks everything up, the same as what a bluefin FRS will.

The same as that mental clio TT 270 thats being talked about aswell. that wont run any quicker than 13.5. Neil i doubt youll better your 14.1, even with a power upgrade as your on the verge of ruining your times with traction problems. I also very much doubt you achieving the same 14.1 at the pod.

The LCR needs an LSD when chipped.

Extend the track to 1/2 mile though and thats when you see the chipped LCRs/FRS running riot.

In the same evo test benH mentions the RS driver clung onto the cup with gritted teeth and just about managed to stay with it on their country road blast.

Im sure though next time im on an ultra smooth runway that stretches out for miles ahead I wouldnt see which way the RS went;)

williams 2 turbo

i myself dont own ither a focus rs or a 172 cup or otherwise, but i have driven both a fair number of times, ie friend own both and from a driving point of view, the focus pisses all over the clio, why not get some focus rs owners to meet some 172/182 or any other clio owners on a track day and find out!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

i know mate, but my car would spank most 172s as well ;) seriously tho at pod that day there was an RS meet and i didnt see one beat 14.8 all day! pretty much all of them were running in the 15s! apart from the cossie focus like hehehe

and yes in that vid my motor did get a much better start! :)

C

chip16v

standard rss are no good for 1/4 mileing as they have limited boost in 1st and 2nd gear but once in third they fly. A chipped rs is a different story because you get back the power ford robbed off you and a bit more. how fast the rs was wasnt really a factor when buying one, i brought mine because it was about the only 2L turbo i could afford to insure at 21. £1080

Quote: Originally posted by chip16v on 13 February 2005

standard rss are no good for 1/4 mileing as they have limited boost in 1st and 2nd gear but once in third they fly. A chipped rs is a different story because you get back the power ford robbed off you and a bit more. how fast the rs was wasnt really a factor when buying one, i brought mine because it was about the only 2L turbo i could afford to insure at 21. £1080

But surely that limited boost in 1st/2nd gear is a good thing??

Take it off and you get masses of wheelspin like me;) thus reducing your actual times.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 13 February 2005

Up to 60 its not a massive difference, from then onwards the FRS will leave you for dead. This was proven on last years Spa/Nurburgring trip. However the chipped LCR then left the FRS for dead!!

As some 1 who owns both cars an was the driver of the FRS above i reckon im pretty well qualified to answer this one !!

Upto 70-80 there is not that much difference between the two from a standing start, The FRS really struggles for traction bein booted from the line. Once past 70 the FRS pulls away easily. I have a vid of this somewhere but dont wanna break cliosport rules.

The FRS as im sure the LCR drivers on here will agree with me comes into its own while rolling (real world driving if ya like), the turbo torque makes acceleration effortless. When i drive the 172 i have to totally change my style of driving to rag the tits off it!

But in answer to your question, you may well beat him but the longer the distance the more it favours the focus!

Matt C, I presume your 172 is not std then? If it was then the 16v would be all over you like a rash, mine certainly would. Give me the RS Focus anyday, it would also be worth something in a few years too.

i can keep up with a std frs till 80ish then he fcuks off lol

and i get peppered with stones untill then lol, bloody wide ass tyres on frs!

[Edited by richy on 13 February 2005 at 8:20pm]

C

chip16v

Quote: Originally posted by chip16v on 13 February 2005standard rss are no good for 1/4 mileing as they have limited boost in 1st and 2nd gear but once in third they fly. A chipped rs is a different story because you get back the power ford robbed off you and a bit more. how fast the rs was wasnt really a factor when buying one, i brought mine because it was about the only 2L turbo i could afford to insure at 21. £1080[/QUOTE] But surely that limited boost in 1st/2nd gear is a good thing??Take it off and you get masses of wheelspin like me;) thus reducing your actual times.

I really struggle to get the focus to spin up, so i think it could handle full boost. i would like to be able to choose if i want full power not the car but iam glad its got lsd thou