ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Motorsports lense

LoW clio Sh*t...&..
haha the photography virus has goten into you mate.. lol.. nice.. get some pics up!! :D

Golf GTD Mk7
lol can't help it. Get hooked really easily. World Series coming up, so need a bigger lense really.

I would get the 70-300 APO version with the motor, the Nikon 70-300 VR is nice, but its nearly 3 times the price of the Sigma!

The 55-200 Nikon VR is good, but I think you will appreciate the extra length of the Sigma.

VR is good in some respects, but not a necessity.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Assuming the VR still needs the camera to be mounted on a tripod or something anyway at 100-200mm to work properly?
Slightest handshake at that focal length on my Tamron sets it crazy

LoW clio Sh*t...&..
yea i guess it depends if you going to take those shots from a tripod or by hand... If by tripod then VR or no VR doesnt really make a huge diff mate.. If you going be using it hand held then i would advice you to ge the VR version as it helps alot.

Golf GTD Mk7
the VR one is a bit pricey for sure. I've seen one for around 300quid which is nearly brand new. Is there that much difference over the sigma?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Sigma 70-300mm APO £182 delivered, my choice from reviews and forums.

http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Sigma_70-300_mm_f4-5.6_APO_DG_Macro

I'll be picking this lens up on Saturday. The Nikon 70-300mm VR seems very good too but is a lot more money for not a big enough overall increase it seems.

Be careful of some websites though as they sell Hong Kong stuff. No idea if its still valid for European warranty (I'd guess not) but just a warning. Also some very questionable customer service reviews for a few unlucky customers that have needed returns etc.

Assuming the VR still needs the camera to be mounted on a tripod or something anyway at 100-200mm to work properly?
Slightest handshake at that focal length on my Tamron sets it crazy

Its recommended that VR is turned OFF when using a tripod. I have been shooting at 200mm over the weekend with no vibration reduction and the shots have been spot on. It all depends on what shutter speeds you are using and how steady you are!

Renaultsport 220T
The Nikor 70-300 with VR lens is the don!

I can highly recommend it.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Golf GTD Mk7

I'll be picking this lens up on Saturday. The Nikon 70-300mm VR seems very good too but is a lot more money for not a big enough overall increase it seems.

Be careful of some websites though as they sell Hong Kong stuff. No idea if its still valid for European warranty (I'd guess not) but just a warning. Also some very questionable customer service reviews for a few unlucky customers that have needed returns etc.

Does that one defo have the motor in it? Can't see it.

"Navy" N17 TWO

Is that one for the D40? :)

Golf GTD Mk7
i'm torn now between the sigma 70-300 and the nikon 55-200 hmmmmm. Says that the nikon is comparable to 85-300 lense at 35mm what ever that means :S

Oil Burner
i wouldnt worry about VR, ive never owned an image stabilised or VR lens. Ive never felt massively disadvantaged by it. Most people turn it off for motorsports shots anyway, unless it has a pan mode it would hinder.

i'm torn now between the sigma 70-300 and the nikon 55-200 hmmmmm. Says that the nikon is comparable to 85-300 lense at 35mm what ever that means :S

If you look at it in 35mm format the the 70-300 is actually 105-450mm. Sigma all the way TBH!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Does that one defo have the motor in it? Can't see it.

Is that one for the D40? :)

Yup, has the motor so will work with Nikon D40/D40x/D60.

Had a quick play today with it and the results seems really good. Will hopefully spend some proper time with it tomo so can post up some pics if wanted.

The range of the zoom is great and it focuses well. Macro mode is good too.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Haha i have EXACTLY the same dilemma. Just got my D40 and what to do some motorsport shots ;)

I bought the Sigma 70-300 APO based on advice from here and I'm glad I did. All of my motorsport shots have been taken with it, and has been easy long enough for most circuits that I've been to.

Flickr's at - www.alexhall.me/flickr - if you want to have a look.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Thinking again about getting that Sigma 70-300 APO lens for the D40.

Is it "fast enough" ? :)

Well, its as fast as your going to get without spending mega wedge!

You can always bump up the ISO too if your not getting shutter speeds you really want!

"Navy" N17 TWO
Cheers JJ :)
Was thinking is it good enough for shots like shown above, and some air-show shooting too

** On a side note, does the D40 only have 3point metering? :S

Oil Burner
Getting a low aperture lens for motorsport isn't about getting shallow depth of field or faster shutter speeds. Its to do the increased AF speed you get and accuracy this extra light entering the lens allows.

I would sooner go for a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 for a few hundred than a variable aperture lens. 70-300/75-100 etc... albeit this will probably still be £375

Nimbus 197

All Nikon lenses have international warranty with proof of purchase iirc.

I've had a play with the Nikon 70-300mm VR and it is a very nice lens but is also quite expensive.

Cupra
CPL (Circular Polarising Filter) is useful for eliminating reflection in windows. They are a bit more pricey than the UV ones though.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I know - have a CPL filter for my other lenses :)
Never thought of using it to reduce window reflections - would it not be a pain to keep rotating it for "fast" shots?

Cupra
I had a pretty good success rate with one at the local circuit. If you are catching the cars in the same spot, most of the time you can get away with not turning it.