ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Impact Gun...(again)

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Good Evening,

I'm looking at getting an Impact Gun to help make jobs easier in the future however some advise would be great. The final straw was this morning and failing to remove my exhaust hanger mounts.

I'm happy to have a wired device, as will always be used while in my garage and from what I've seen this will help me get a better spec tool.

I'm after the cheapest option available as it will sit in the garage most of the year max amount would be around £100, although happy for it to be cheaper.

A few I've found:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014FO4I1I/?tag=cliospnet01-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XKLYQZW/?tag=cliospnet01-21

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Dut...466407&hash=item25b4b88e9a:g:0S0AAOSwoydWlmD-

I last one seems to get the best reviews but any advice would be great.

Tom

330i. E30 Touring.
Look no further than the Clarke one for a corded one. Cheap, and wrist breakingly strong.

That said, i'd buy a cordless one every time over one with a cord.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
As above mate, I've got the corded Clarke for when I run out of battery or need something stronger than my cordless one. Perfect for your budget

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I've got the eBay battery gun, it's really pretty good, had mine for several years and it's been ace.
Has done most things I've asked and you don't really need impact sockets for it as it's not overly strong.

Bolts need to be pretty badly rusted on to have to break out the windy gun.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Holy thread resurrection!

Just wondering why the preference for wireless over wired? I’ll only ever be using one within range of mains power, is it just the cord gets in the way? I think I’m going to go for either the mains Clarke or the “eBay special” battery job, but have literally zero experience of using these things.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Holy thread resurrection!

Just wondering why the preference for wireless over wired? I’ll only ever be using one within range of mains power, is it just the cord gets in the way? I think I’m going to go for either the mains Clarke or the “eBay special” battery job, but have literally zero experience of using these things.

Go cordless. My cordlless Milwaukee impact gun is probably the best car related tool I have ever purchased.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Cordless 100%

Milwaukee, DeWalt or Makita. Depends if you have any other of their tools so you can share batteries.

If not, Milwaukee for me. I've had experience with their warranty service and it's spot on.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Go cordless.

I got a wired unit but soon realised that I should have got the wireless item.

M135i, 197 turbo
Cordless 100%

Milwaukee, DeWalt or Makita. Depends if you have any other of their tools so you can share batteries.

If not, Milwaukee for me. I've had experience with their warranty service and it's spot on.

I got a DeWalt cordless one for Christmas, it's epic. Best tool I have

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I’ve now done the driveshafts on my Clio twice, and the clutch on my wife’s Micra twice too! The cheap battery eBay one (£70-£75) has been amazing! Popped the hub nuts off and everything else I’ve thrown at it without difficulty. If you’re only in need of occasional use then I’d highly recommend it :cool:.

Only complaint is that it’s quite big and cumbersome :confused:.

I've just bought the ebay £70 one recently and used it on the Scenic to change a wheel hub. Spun the hub nut off no problem and everything bar the damn lower hub/wishbone pinch bolt which it just rounded. Seems a decent buy so far.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
When I was looking the DeWalt range were good value for the amount of torque they produced, around 1000nm for a £150 i seem to remember, but you need the batteries/charger etc which is why I didn't go for it as I already had Makita bits for other tools.

Think i was around 120 all in for gun,battery & charger

3 settings for how much power you want

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1525288651301.jpg
    FB_IMG_1525288651301.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 170

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
I just bought this one for £80 all in. Comes with 3ah battery and charger etc..2 year warranty. Seems ok for the money.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BFF841G/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Dawnspinner

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 sport
Good Evening,

I'm looking at getting an Impact Gun to help make jobs easier in the future however some advise would be great. The final straw was this morning and failing to remove my exhaust hanger mounts.

I'm happy to have a wired device, as will always be used while in my garage and from what I've seen this will help me get a better spec tool.

I'm after the cheapest option available as it will sit in the garage most of the year max amount would be around £100, although happy for it to be cheaper.

A few I've found:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014FO4I1I/?tag=cliospnet01-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XKLYQZW/?tag=cliospnet01-21

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Dut...466407&hash=item25b4b88e9a:g:0S0AAOSwoydWlmD-

I last one seems to get the best reviews but any advice would be great.

Tom
Hi hope this helps. We track race a clio 172 and use a ryobi R181W3 with a 4.0ah battery. Does all day up to 3 wheel changes, and we work on the car using it all day. Amazon best price great bit of kit !

406 V6, Race Buggy
The thing to remember with the big guns and especially the wired ones is that they're so bulky that you can't get them in most places, I've a little Makita (281 I think) which is more powerful than the big Clarke or similar ones even though it's half the size and compact enough to use in the engine bay, etc.
It's still got enough oomph to take of 40mm hub nuts...

Tried the Dewalt DCF899 over the weekend, was a little bit let down when it struggled to remove a lug nut on first use. Checked the battery indicator and realised the juice was empty. Gave it a charge and what a difference, the thing is a beast. So far used it on calliper bolts with an extension bar, so much quicker than using a breaker bar or ratchet. The three speed settings really help. I will try it on a hub nut next and report the results!

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Tried the Dewalt DCF899 over the weekend, was a little bit let down when it struggled to remove a lug nut on first use. Checked the battery indicator and realised the juice was empty. Gave it a charge and what a difference, the thing is a beast. So far used it on calliper bolts with an extension bar, so much quicker than using a breaker bar or ratchet. The three speed settings really help. I will try it on a hub nut next and report the results!

Id watch with smaller stuff like caliper bolts as I know some decent guns can shear stuff no bother especially smaller stuff. I always crack stuff off first with a breaker bar to make sure then run them off with the gun

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Id watch with smaller stuff like caliper bolts as I know some decent guns can shear stuff no bother especially smaller stuff. I always crack stuff off first with a breaker bar to make sure then run them off with the gun

If it's going to shear when undoing, then doing it with the gun or by hand makes no difference it'll still shear.

Tightening is a different story.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
By hand is a lot more gradual and can get a feel for how tight it is and stand some chance of salvaging it. Go in all blazing with the gun and the amount of torque applied in a hit can shear stuff. Each to their own though, I know what id prefer to do
Mates garage stopped the guys using their new Milwaukee 1/2" gun for undoing wheel nuts because it was quite often shearing them straight away

406 V6, Race Buggy
Generally the shock loading of a gun is less likely to shear a stuck bolt than trying to gradually load it up by hand will.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I'm currently repping this awesome combination. Opted for the high torque impact gun for the big bolts. I decided that if I was spending some dollar on an impact gun I may aswell do something that isn't going to get beaten by anything. I'd be massively disappointed if I spent a few £100 on something and it got defeated so spent a bit more. Then got the smaller 3/8 jobby for little jobs, it's lovely and light so makes it a breeze to use. Most likely going to get the 3/8 milwaukee ratchet soon as it looks really handy.

41518409794_fe199f72ed_b.jpg
2018-05-20_10-03-51 by dann2707, on Flickr

They laugh at hub nuts, i just changed a drive shaft at the w.end and it was off in a instant

Looking to buy an impact driver for some home DIY. DCF887 might be what I go for but just wondering if these can be used to work on cars also by using a square socket adaptor? Would certainly help with getting into tighter spaces?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Well my review of the ebay one has changed dramatically. The fuckin thing struggles to even undo 108nm tight wheel nuts. Bought it to tackle the rusted Celica I'd purchased but its just not up to the job.

Maybe its a duff one as others have had better results.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Well my review of the ebay one has changed dramatically. The fuckin thing struggles to even undo 108nm tight wheel nuts. Bought it to tackle the rusted Celica I'd purchased but its just not up to the job.

Maybe its a duff one as others have had better results.

Batteries full yeah? Makes a difference on those ones.