ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT Questions

ok, my car is currently as follows:

2 x bucket seats with harnesses from a rear harness beam.

will it pass an MOT only taking into consideration that this is what I expect it to fail on.

The exhaust system is not relevant at this moment.

/y0z

Below is a full list of all elements that are checked during an MOT test.
Vehicle Identification Number

Not more than one different identification number should be present on a vehicle first used on or after 1 August 1980. However, the same number may be displayed in more than one place.
Registration Plate

Condition, security, legibility and format of letters/numbers.
Lights

Condition, operation, security and correct colour. The headlamps will also be checked to see if the aim is correct.
Steering and Suspension

Correct condition and operation
Wipers/Washers

Operate to give the driver a clear view of the road
Windscreen

Condition and drivers view of the road
Horn

Correct operation and type
Seatbelts

All seatbelts installed are checked for type, condition, operation and security. All compulsory seatbelts must be in place.
Seats

Front seats secure. Front and rear backseats can be secured in the upright position.
Fuel System

No leaks, fuel cap fastens correctly and seals securely. The fuel cap will need to be opened. Make sure the key is available.
Exhaust Emissions

Vehicle meets the requirement for exhaust emission. These vary on the age and fuel type of the vehicle.
Exhaust System

Complete, secure, without serious leaks and silences effectively.
Vehicle Structure

Free from excessive corrosion or damage in specific areas. No sharp edges.
Doors

Open and close. Latch securely in closed position. Front doors should open from inside and outside the vehicle. Rear doors may need to be opened to gain access to testable items.
Mirrors

Presence, condition and security
Wheels and Tyres

Condition, security, tyre size/type and tread depth. Spare tyres are not inspected.
Brakes

Condition operation and performance (efficiency test). Wheels are not removed during the test. The tester only examined what they can see, reach or feel.

Mk2 172 (Silver)

why would it fail on the seats? specification above says seats must be secure and compulsory seatbelts are installed....if you only have two seats then surely having two sets of harnesses will be ok? or does it mean as it came standard as written on the v5? :confused:

i know nothing...as you can tell!! ;)

mine nearly failed its MOT on friday because id left my tomtom go mount stuck to the corner of the windscreen which counted as an obstruction even though its not in my sightline. they were kind enough to remove it for me, but i got a stern telling off!! :oops:

but... because I dont have back seats might mean i fail, because I dont have seat belts, even tho I dont have any back seats.

I might have to go for Q plate on it...

:-(

/y0z

you wont failt for having no rear seats, f they are not present, it cannot be tested

just the same as the spare, if its there, it must be legal, if its not there, its irrelevant

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Our 106 GTi is getting MOTd tomorrow matey... thats stripped out at the rear with no seats & no seatbelts, but has got the normal leather sports seats and seatbelts up front.

However, I am a little concerned that the lack of rear seats & seat belts may fail it... especially after reading your post... :confused:

Seatbelts:

All seatbelts installed are checked for type, condition, operation and security. All compulsory seatbelts must be in place.

Seats:

Front seats secure. Front and rear backseats can be secured in the upright position.

The "all compulsary seatbelts must be installed" part aint filling me with confidence!

Ill let you know how I get on...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by j3ned on 08 March 2005

bring it down here and get jordy to MOT it - he will pass it pal
Ahaaaaa... I forgot about that...

I know this bloke quite well though, so fingers crossed itll pass, but if not Ill be bringing it over the see the big ginger MOT tester! ;)

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

the problem will be the harnesses, they would need to be e marked, but still may fail on the mounting points. if u re-fitted the original seatbelts it should pass. i think?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by benji&eka on 08 March 2005

the problem will be the harnesses, they would need to be e marked, but still may fail on the mounting points. if u re-fitted the original seatbelts it should pass. i think?
Theres also something to do with the buckle arrangement...

IIRC the aircraft type buckles will fail!?

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

yep, i dont think aircraft style buckles are approved. i had to fit harnesses with normal type buckles to my mates kit car to get it to pass mot/sva. they were 4 point but with normal buckle. odd but looked ok. and worked well when he rolled it :D

Twingo 133

It should be allright at the rear not having rear seats, as long as you dont have the rear seatbelts.

Sure i read that in the mot checklist.

X 200+ cup, now focus RS

know what ya saying yoz, on your reg docs your car is a 4 seater car, so you should be tested for all 4 seat belts, in theory!!!

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

yeah i am definatley sure, you have to have no rear seats and no rear seatbelts to pass, if you have either rear seats or seatbelts on thier own then it is a failiure.

clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by Bryan on 08 March 2005

you wont failt for having no rear seats, f they are not present, it cannot be tested

just the same as the spare, if its there, it must be legal, if its not there, its irrelevant

spare is not tested anyway mate..

BMW 320d Sport

Well mines just sailed through so I can speak from experience.

Either have the seats and the belts in the rear - or dont. Making your car a two seater is fine.

Harnesses dont have to be original but they must be secure, so that basically means if you use the proper mounting points for your new harnesses its ok, but if you start fabricating your own mounts, it wont. Looping them round a pretend strut brace in the boot or around a roll cage is also frowned upon.

The buckle must be E-approved, NOT FIA. FIA belts might be safer and better, but they are not strictly speaking road legal unless they have E approval as well. In practical terms, normal seatbelt style buckles are E approved, quick release turnbuckles are FIA. I wouldnt bother changing over to an E approved harness unless your MOT tester fails you on it and they probably wont if its anchored at the normal rear seatbelt mounting points.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Well... its passed!!! :D

Basically, in his opinion, no rear seats means no rear seatbelts and vice-versa, so if either was still there it would fail, but as both were removed it passed as they cannot be tested.

Y0z...i passed my MOT no problems wiht no rear seats and no seat belts...had a joke, cus it said on the test form to test the rear seatbelts and they werent there, lol

Seats size i have the same set-up as you cept the harness bar......to test the harness mounting all his did was tugg on them....should be fine mate

Volvo S60 T5

Test as presented, if it has only got 2 seats then 2 seats and belt/harness need to be secure and in working order.

This was mentioned at a recent Mot Refresher I attended, will be fine.

Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 08 March 2005

but... because I dont have back seats might mean i fail, because I dont have seat belts, even tho I dont have any back seats.

/y0z
Mines never failed on that? Always had proper MOTs and they have never said anything about that fella?

Vix :)

Quote: Originally posted by powelly on 10 March 2005

Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 08 March 2005

/y0z
Mines never failed on that? Always had proper MOTs and they have never said anything about that fella?

Vix :)
Yours has passed an MOT? :eek::p

Quote: Originally posted by clarkiev6 on 09 March 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Bryan on 08 March 2005you wont failt for having no rear seats, f they are not present, it cannot be tested

just the same as the spare, if its there, it must be legal, if its not there, its irrelevantspare is not tested anyway mate..

think youll find if it is present, it must be legal, they do test it