ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT Fail?

172FF
I had a little bump last month in my car (the first) and the only things that have broken are the black plastic bits on the headlights under the bonnet, my mot is due next month and altought there is nothing wrong with the lights (they work fine) i would just like to know if i need to fork out 3-400 quid on new ones or if there is a cheaper fix if they fail the mot, they are the xenon's on a 172 ff.
Thanks

Last edited:
  F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
lmfao at pump! childish humour sorry!

is it the brackets that are damaged? if so the headlights could be out of alignment or insecure, that would be a fail.

172FF
something else must have been on my mind! lol it is the brackets which are damage, on one side it looks like it could be the main one and could be superglued back on the headlamp is pretty much secure just now, on the other its a bit wobbly main bracket completely broken and being held in by one at the top of the lights and one underneath? i'll get some pictures up soon to show i'm bad at explaining

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
something else must have been on my mind! lol it is the brackets which are damage, on one side it looks like it could be the main one and could be superglued back on the headlamp is pretty much secure just now, on the other its a bit wobbly main bracket completely broken and being held in by one at the top of the lights and one underneath? i'll get some pictures up soon to show i'm bad at explaining

its legal if they are reapired and secure mate if they move at all then it would be a fail but if only one of the locators are broken and your headlamp does not move then you should be fine.

172FF
its legal if they are reapired and secure mate if they move at all then it would be a fail but if only one of the locators are broken and your headlamp does not move then you should be fine.

thanks, how could i repair them? superglue? i just dont see the point in having to pay for a whole new lamp over a little bit plastic:dead:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
thanks, how could i repair them? superglue? i just dont see the point in having to pay for a whole new lamp over a little bit plastic:dead:

super glue wont really work mate you need a plastic repair kit tbh.
take both headlamps out.if you have the broken locators then its easily done.

172FF
This is the worst one which wobbles ( i have pulled out the lamp as far as possible to show damage)
DSC00905.jpg

DSC00903.jpg

And this is the better of the 2
DSC00906-1.jpg

DSC00902.jpg

Last edited:
Would you not be able to use superglue wait for it to dry and then fuse the edges with a soldering iron? Obviously it would need to come off the car though

When I say fuse the edges I mean go over the crack and seal it

Again crap at explaining stuff lol

rps13
My old clio failed it's MOT for this exact reason, offside was broken.

they said that they wouldn't let it pass unless i bought a whole new light,

went somewhere else and they fixed them with a little bit of metal and MOT'd me!

172FF
My old clio failed it's MOT for this exact reason, offside was broken.

they said that they wouldn't let it pass unless i bought a whole new light,

went somewhere else and they fixed them with a little bit of metal and MOT'd me!

Thanks for the responses, did you just go to a random garage ?

rps13
Thanks for the responses, did you just go to a random garage ?

yeah, just a random MOT garage, legends to be honest

it can and will fail on headlight alignment by the way, quite a big MOT failure

but if it's glued and they're not dickheads you'l be ok

172FF
cool fingers crossed then, my lights alignment is out ones higher up but looks ok, how do i know which one is the proper height? Any suggestions of a good scrappies where i could possibly source a 'new' unit and the price?

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
hiya im an mot tester, if there were well repaired it should pass fine and with regards to headlight aim ask the mot station to adjust these for you before the mot, if they are nice they shldnt charge you

172FF
hiya im an mot tester, if there were well repaired it should pass fine and with regards to headlight aim ask the mot station to adjust these for you before the mot, if they are nice they shldnt charge you

Thanks for the information:)

I just also had a thought.. could i buy normal clio headlamps for say £40 each off fleabay and put them in for the mot? or is there alot of work involved in changing to non xenon ?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the information:)

I just also had a thought.. could i buy normal clio headlamps for say £40 each off fleabay and put them in for the mot? or is there alot of work involved in changing to non xenon ?

yes mate! sorry been away.
and i would defo take it to a diff garage next time tell them when you go in the lamps may need adjusted slightly you'll been fine.
get home xenons in bobs your uncle and fann1es your aunt.
dont put the xenons back in broken tho at least make them secure so the
light on the road is not affected too much.
gal.

172FF
yes mate! sorry been away.
and i would defo take it to a diff garage next time tell them when you go in the lamps may need adjusted slightly you'll been fine.
get home xenons in bobs your uncle and fann1es your aunt.
dont put the xenons back in broken tho at least make them secure so the
light on the road is not affected too much.
gal.

nice thanks alot, so basically get the lights off fleabay pop them in and thats it?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
nice thanks alot, so basically get the lights off fleabay pop them in and thats it?

yip just tell the jokingly that they may need adjusted slightly and im
sure they will do it,takes bout two seconds.good luck mate.
just noticed your in edinburgh where bouts?
where bouts is the mot place?